Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freddienuckles Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2008, 05:41 PM
    1997 Pontiac Sunfire with too much pressure in the gas tank
    We have a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire. It builts up pressure inj the gas tank to the point that when you open the cap it blows off like opening a hot radiator. It also makes a vacuuming sound when the car is running. The gas gage randomly floats to full and then to empty. It will go back to the correct position (I think anyway) Can anyone tell us what this could be and if they are related?? Thanks for any help.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2008, 05:51 PM

Have you tried a different gas cap? Also the fuel pump could be causing this.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2008, 10:31 AM

Sorry Twink, wrong again. A gas cap seals the fuel system; he's not having a problem with no pressure, he's having a problem with excessive pressure. A new gas cap won't change anything.

Freddie: My car will build up pressure in the tank and make that same noise if I run the tank low on fuel. Do you hear the "vacuuming" noise only when the car is running or as soon as you turn the key on? Does it seem as if it's coming from the rear of the vehicle? Your fuel pump could be getting weak and making more noise; a bad sending unit would be the reason your gauge is floating back and forth. However, neither of these will cause pressure to build up in the tank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2005 Pontiac Sunfire. Speedometer sticking [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 2005 Sunfire and the speedometer is sticking. However it only happens once it gets hot outside. Usually it stays stuck at 0mph. Although sometimes it will move a little and end up getting stuck in random places. Once the weather cools down the problem goes away. What could be causing the...

2005 Pontiac Sunfire--lighting not working [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire. The instrument panel cluster does not light up, nor does the radio buttons, fog lights, tail lights, gear shift light or the a/c, heater light. We've changed several fuses for the above and this has not fixed any of the problems. What else could it be? Thanks

Follow up on my 1997 Pontiac Grand Am [ 2 Answers ]

We have charged the new air compressor, but the compressor will not turn on when I turn on the A/C switch (the clutch will not engage). Can anyone help? My husband and his mechanic friend have checked everything.

1997 Pontiac Grand Am [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where the orifice tube is located on a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am? Or, does the 1997 Pontiac Grand Am even have an orifice tube? We just replaced the AC compressor and evaporator, but cannot find where the orifice tube goes?

Deep well, pressure tank/switch not building pressure [ 13 Answers ]

The only way I have water pressure is to leave the power on! I have replaced the 5 gallon pressure tank (28psi when void of water)/fittings/pressure gauge and tried 3 new 30/50 pressure switches and the problem remains the same. With the power off, the pressure drops to 0 (not 30). When I...

View more questions Search