Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rain lady 2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2008, 02:50 PM
    2 sided masonary fireplace issues
    My question is about a home I added on to. The plans call for a 2 sided fireplace between living and dining room. The plans show 2 possible flues. One on each side. My question is asking what is the right way to flue a 2 sided fireplace? I am in the building process and the fireplace is finished except for some cosmetic finishing. After a rainy day we noticed water dripping down into the fire box. I looked up and it was a straight shot up to the top of the fireplace. Is this correct? Or do I need something redone? The damper is a large flat piece of metal and when I pull the chain it goes straight up and down. We did try lighting something to see if it draws (considering it has 2 sides thus 2 sides to draw from) the smoke came into the room rather quickly. What is my outcome going to be or what is it that I need to do to fix?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 07:37 AM

You can add a rain cap to the chimney to stop the rain but I'd install a closeable flue cap. That will safe heat and keep out the rain. Starting a draft does not always happen on its own. Slightly open a window or door, roll up a newspaper like a torch. Light the torch and shove it up inside the fire box as far as you can, this will start the draft.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One sided love... really need help! [ 54 Answers ]

Hello all, I am a new member of this community . I had come across this community while looking for the answer to my questions.Well to state my problem... I have become a hapless victim of one sided love.The girl I love is already committed to someone else.I love her passionately... its been a...

What insulation do you put between the cement board and the masonary wall [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a new bathroom where the tub is on an exterior wall. The wall is masonary and I will be using cement board. However, what do I use between the cement board and the masonary wall. Also, is it o.k to use regular drywall in the other walls in the bathroom, or should I use a special...

Hang sheetrock to masonary [ 2 Answers ]

How do I attach the rock to plastered interior chimney (brick)?

Leak around basement fireplace but not in fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Recently when we had heavy rain it leaked around the baement fireplace. I have noticed that the grout around the bricks are wet (not sure if soaking up from the floor). Thought because some flooding near by that it was a one time thing. Now it rained a coupe of days ago and I am noticing that it is...

Masonary [ 1 Answers ]

What types of masonary should I used for my outside foundation.and inside

View more questions Search