Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leekva Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2006, 04:40 AM
    Wireless Security
    I have recently installed a Linksys WRT54GX2 router. Connected to two (2) PCs running Windows XP SP2 and one (1) running Windows 2000.

I have set up MAC filtering but nothing in addition. I have read where Windows 2000 is not compatible with WPA. Do I just set-up with WEP and MAC filtering or can I set-up WPA or WPA2 with MAC filtering?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 23, 2006, 04:53 AM
    The way I attack WiFi security is threfold.
    1. MAC address access list
    2. WAP encryption (128 bit)
    3. Hide SSID

I find that this works a treat.
    Basically if the AP can't be seen then it presents less of a target.
    The MAC and WAP adds more security without slowing access speeds.

I must admit I have only tried WPA once and I ended up locking myself out of the AP, so I stuck with the above method.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 23, 2006, 04:59 AM
    Couldn't comment on Curly's post so I wanted to second his response. That is how I secure my wireless network as well. I had a Win98 laptop on the network so I too had to use WEP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless Routers [ 7 Answers ]

Im trying to find the best type of wirless routers and there price. Is there a site that reviews them simply? And easily? Or can someone recommend the brand worth getting. We need it to go through out our house. I already have broadband internet, however I want it so others in the house can...

Wireless and non wireless connections [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I have a laptop from my employer to use at home and at work. At work it is networked via a wireless connection and broadband Internet access is via this network. I took it home and set up the connection to work with my own ISP (NTL) and that worked fine. The problem comes when I take it...

Buying new wireless security system [ 3 Answers ]

I just purchased a really nice wireless surveillance system from www.jetstreamsecurity.com and was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any flaws in owning a wireless surveillance systems? Can they be hacked into with by a neighbor, or can they be tapped into with other hardware. I just...

Wireless network security [ 4 Answers ]

I have just gotten a router and set up a wireless net environment in my home. As I live in an apartment, I think it can be easily picked up by anyone. Therefore, I was wondering if there was any way or program I could use to make it secure. Also, I rather not use the WEP provided because it...

View more questions Search