Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kthomson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2008, 11:42 AM
    1400$ credit card bill
    It's been almost 6 years since this card was used with a balance of 800$ owed. Now the company is saying I owe over 1400$, due to interest. I tried to go through a negotiator but the company refused and told me they don't do that and won't, I have to pay the full 1400$. I was wondering if they were allowed to not negotiate? I offered them the 800$ that I owed and the lady told me I was out of luck, I had to pay the full amount. Is this legal?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kthomson View Post
    It's been almost 6 years since this card was used with a balance of 800$ owed. Now the company is saying I owe over 1400$, due to interest. I tried to go through a negotiator but the company refused and told me they don't do that and won't, I have to pay the full 1400$. I was wondering if they were allowed to not negotiate? I offered them the 800$ that I owed and the lady told me I was out of luck, I had to pay the full amount. Is this legal?

They can't just make up any percentage of interest or any amount but they can sue you for full interest on the account in a legal amount and, no, they don't have to take a partial payment or negotiate with you.

They must feel confident that they can get a Judgment for the amount plus fees and then collect through garnishment or lien or seizing your bank account.

If it's been "almost 6 years," depending on the State you are in the debt might be out of Statute.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Sep 29, 2008, 11:51 AM
    Yes, it's legal. The original agreement allows them to charge interest on outstanding balances and if there has been an outstanding balance for almost 6 years then it is not unusual for the amount to double due to the interest.

And they are not required to negotiate with you. There is no law that says they must take less than what you owe them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 29, 2008, 11:58 AM

I'm just wondering where you have been during the 6 years and why you haven't paid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Court papers served on a paid credit card bill [ 1 Answers ]

How do I respond back to the superior court on a summons that I have paid the bill in full. I have a letter written by the collection agent that states that I have paid this amount in full. What court papers do I need to fill out because they have requested "a written response in proper legal...

Summons from Superior Court re: credit card bill. [ 1 Answers ]

I received a summons from the Superior Court (civil). I would like to respond to this summons, however, I have been unable to locate the proper "answer" form online. A credit card company is suing me for $1811.00. I live in Riverside, CA, county. I have been unable to locate any old bills...

Can they garnish my husbands paycheck for an old credit card bill, in Ga. [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I signed up for the "Consumer Credit Consolidation" a few years ago to get out of debt. One credit card company, after one month, dropped me from the plan because of late payment. Reason being that the money order purchased to send to CCCS turned up missing or stolen, I never found...

Credit card bill. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me regardant a credit card for $6,916.14. I have no money to pay this bill. What can do? Thank you:confused:

First and Second mortgage and large credit card bill [ 2 Answers ]

My Grandmother has a first and second mortgage. She has become very fragile and unable to do her bills so I have taken that responsibility over for her. However she is more than maxed out. She lives on Social Security and every dime that comes in needs to go to pay bills, this does not include...

View more questions Search