Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tiffinityrose Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Jun 9, 2006, 08:38 PM
    My favorite authors are Jackie Collins, Dean koontz, Iris Johansen, and J.K. Rowlings

I tend to favor suspense, fantasy, and sci-fi horror.
    Kadehadaire Posts: 197, Reputation: 10

Jul 6, 2006, 12:15 PM
    Margaret Atwood - All her stuff really
    Juliet Marillier - Sevenwaters books
    Jaqueline Carey - Kushiel books
    Emily Maguire - Taming the Beast (highly sexual)
    Many many more
    yuta Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2006, 01:43 AM
    Mainly Japanese author simply because I'm Japanese, but these books are worth to read. I'm not sure if these books are translated or not.

Natsuo Kirino---"Out"
    Murakami Haruki---"Five Spot After Dark"
    Hanamura Mangetsu---"Jin Jin Jin"
    Kenzo Kitamura---"Waiting For The Wind"
    GaryArt Posts: 43, Reputation: 12

Sep 1, 2006, 10:38 PM
    1. Tim Dorsey (Triggerfish Twist, Florida Roadkill)
    2. John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)
    3. Elmore Leonard (Get Shorty)
    4. Carl Hiassen (Strip Tease, Lucky You)
    5. Kurt Vonnegut (Breakfast of Champions, Sirens of Titan)
    6. Rita Mae Brown (Rubyfruit Jungle)
    7. Frederick Forsyth (Day of the Jackal, The O.D.E.S.S.A. File)
    8. Maya Angelou (I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings)
    9. John D. MacDonald (Pale Grey for Guilt, The Tourquoise Lament)
    10. Robert B. Parker (Spenser detective series)
    11. W.E.B. Griffith (Brotherhood of War series)
    12. Allen Drury (Advise and Consent)
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2006, 04:59 AM
    My favotite author is Sarah douglass she's writes fantasy novels... personally I think she's one of the best Australian authors since tolken... (The Wayfarer Redemption Series = 6 books in total so far I think.. 3 during "present times" and 3 from their children's lives 40 or 30 years later..
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2006, 05:02 PM
    I just love the whole gang from MAD magazine. All of them... the whole crazy bunch of them.
    celiner Posts: 66, Reputation: 5

Sep 6, 2006, 02:36 PM
    Good Question.

Wally Lamb (She Comes Undone-I Know This Much
    Is True)
    Shakespeare (The Taming of the Shrew)
    Jane Austen (mmmm... Mr Darcy)
    Janet Fitch (White Oleander)

Also I am a closet Nora Roberts reader. Her books are great for when you just want your brain to have a holiday. Perfect beach reading.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Sep 25, 2006, 11:55 PM
    Hg Wells great: Sci Fi
    Louise Amore's: great Westerns
    Alfred Lord Tennyson: great poetry

Dean Koontz is interesteing to read as well. Never a dull moment. Some authors having tremendous reputations test the reader's patience. Some of these I have forced myself to read based on their reputation. But it shouldn't be that way.
    metalikhan Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2006, 11:09 PM
    Exploring this great website and found this question -- couldn't resist.
    In the SF and fantasy genres: Terry Pratchett, Frank Herbert, Ann McCaffrey. Also liked Stephen King's Dark Tower series, Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders trilogy, Robert Holdstocks' Mythago Wood books, and Louise Cooper's Indigo series.
    Of course, there are the single favorites: Songs from the Drowned Lands, Bridge of Birds, and Moonwise.
    Westerns :anything by Louis L'Amour; I also enjoyed Don Coldsmith's Spanish Bit series about Native Americans.
    Horror/Thrillers: Dean Koontz, Charles Grant
    Classics: Finnegan's Wake, Beowulf, most of Shakespeare's plays, Le Mort d'Arthur (and the numerous versions of the Arthurian legends), The Oddessy and the Iliad (and versions surrounding the people and events surrounding the battle of Troy), Celtic myths and legends, fairytales and The Poetic Edda.
    I love poetry, too, but not much of the contemporary stuff. Favorites include Yeats, Kipling, Pope and Service plus a hefty collection that ranges from ancient Greece and Rome to the Oriental dynasties to the British Isles and more.
    Oh, and I'm still a sucker for beloved children's books such as Heads Up! By Patsy Gray and Shamrock Queen by Marguerite Henry.
    The rest of my reading is non-fiction.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2006, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by educatedhorse_2005
    Who is your favorite author.

What kind of books do you like to read.

Mine are William W Johnstone and Louis Lamour.

Western novels
    My favorite author is Sigrid Undset and my favorite book is her work, "Kristin Lavransdatter." Other favorite authors are Hemingway, Hill, and Rolvaag.

I enjoy reading historical non fiction and fiction, documentaries, biographies, and family histories.
    Vicky_27 Posts: 21, Reputation: 0

Oct 19, 2006, 07:19 AM
    Have to say my favourite author is Stephen King. I also really enjoy books by Clive Barker, Irvine Welsh, Patricia Cornwell, Thomas Harris, C.S. Lewis, also Tennyson's poetry is beautiful. And I also love Robert Burns.

I love to read - so any kind of book really. I always have a book on the go and it doesn't matter to me the genre really! Apart from fiction I also love reading true life stuff - like books about mass murderers, mysteries etc!

This is a fantastic question. It's really interesting to read about others opinions on this too!
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Feb 1, 2007, 09:43 PM
    I like the usual Stephen King and Dean Koontz

However, my favorites are:
    Comedy : Janet Evanovich (One For The Money 1 out of twelve in the series!)
    Gothic Type: Anne Rice (Interview With The Vampire or The Witching Hour) - Trust me start
    With these ones as they are the first of two series
    Suspense/Detective: Michael Connelly ( Blood Work, The Black Ice or The Poet) Warning! -
    Not for those who easily get attached to the characters, I've cried
    More than once.
    Classic: Alexandre Dumas ( The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, Count of Monte
    Christo, Man in the Iron Mask)

Hope this helps anyone looking for a good reading workout! Most of these are long books that one has to stick with and pay attention to.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Feb 3, 2007, 09:48 PM
    Like many respondents I have several favourite authors. When I was a child I was limited to Enid Blyton and JM Barrie, but now I am grown I have enjoyed and been moved by so many, some of which are:

The Anglo Saxon Chroniclers
    Jeffrey Chaucer
    William Shakespeare
    Bede
    Louis Golding
    Richard Llewellyn
    John Steinbeck
    Nikos Kazantsakis
    Pushkin
    Winston Churchill
    Charlotte Brunty
    William Dawes
    John Bunyan
    Edgar Allen Poe
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    The Great McGonigle
    Charles ens
    Rudyard Kipling
    Etc...
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Feb 4, 2007, 01:18 AM
    Not enough credit goes to John Steinbeck or J.D. Salinger on this board lol
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Feb 5, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzkid89
    Not enough credit goes to John Steinbeck or J.D. Salinger on this board lol
    Steinbeck is on my list of favourites.

But, to be fair, wizzkid, the question asked for personal preferences, so who does and who does not get 'enough credit' is moot. Choosing a favourire anythings is not rocket science. It is nothing more than what appeals to each person. I havre read Salinger, but he does not rank among my 'favourites'.

:)
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 5, 2007, 10:21 AM
    I have to agree with Val... [U]Atlas Shrugged[U] changed the way I look at the world more than any other book has.

Favorites though... Robert Jordan, Tad Williams, George R. R. Martin, J. R. R. Tolkien, Sara Douglass, Mercedes Lackey, Stephen King, Raymond Feist, David Eddings, Terry Goodkind... the list goes on and on.
    jmillerascs Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 16, 2007, 03:53 PM
    My favorite author is John Irving. The Hotel New Hampshire and A Prayer for Owen Meany are amazing pieces of literature. His last few books have been less than inspiring, though.
    ignatz2000 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Donald E. Westlake's Dortmunder series. If you haven't read them you should.
    It's a series of comedy/crime novels.:)
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Feb 18, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Hmm, how did I miss this?

I don't read enough anymore, even though I spend half my life in a used bookstore. Talking about favorites doesn't mean much, as that varies quite a bit based on the types of books I'm in the mood for. Right now, I'm in the middle of:

The Masks of God by Joseph Campbell (four book series on comparative mythology)
    A Brief History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell
    Ulysses
    A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin, 4 books thus far of probably 8 total
    Welcome to the Monkey House by Vonnegut... actually, it's rare that I'm not in the middle of this one.
    Dark Seas of Infinity and The Dream Cycle of H.P. Lovecraft, collections of H.P. Lovecraft stories... same as the Vonnegut above
    Shamela by Fielding... haven't actually started it, but I've had it sitting on my desk for two weeks. Maybe I'll actually do that (and then re-read Richardson's Pamela for a laugh) tonight.
    Harry Potter
    Life is Elsewhere, The Joke, and Farewell Waltz by Milan Kundera.
    Anthem, Ayn Rand
    Justine, Marquis de Sade

That seems short... I know I'm reading something else now, even leaving out textbooks and other research materials.
    tamed Posts: 255, Reputation: 33

Feb 18, 2007, 12:38 PM
    In terms of fiction, it would have to be Jostein Gaarder, Lemony Snickett and Milan Kundera (probably in that order too), they write so well. When it comes to non-fiction at the moment it would have to be M. Scott Peck I just enjoy his writings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unknown Title or Author [ 10 Answers ]

I remember reading a book when I was around 11 about siblings whose parents die (I think) and the oldest (sister) is afraid of being separated, so they go on the run from authorities. She tries to keep them all fed and finds eggs to be the cheapest food to buy. Eventually they are found/caught...

Can you name this author? [ 3 Answers ]

This author is a retired police officer. He has written at least two crime thrillers. I think they were published in the last 4-8 years. I seem to remember that they came onto the market at the same time as Linda Fairsteins first 2 books. I can't recall the names of any of the characters in the...

Author/Title unknown [ 1 Answers ]

I read a novel years ago, where the story concerned a group of plane crash survivors who used scrap material from a nearby abandoned mine to construct medieval type weapons (trebuchet, crossbows, etc), to prevent a local militia from crossing a river to capture them. I initially believed it was...

Do you now the author and song title? [ 2 Answers ]

I remember only the middle of the song: "And I wana fall through the stars Stright into your arms ..... .....feel love I hope you comprehend" Thank you for any help. :)

View more questions Search