Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    temwa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2008, 06:22 AM
    How to speed up site to site VPN
    I use an accounting application which is based in another location .whoever it takes several minutes to retrieve the information from the area using VPN. The VPN uses a VPN broudband router which are at both ends, however we connect via a service provider.
    How can I improve the speed when running the applications?
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 29, 2008, 07:21 AM

Well, more than likely no.

But lets check something.

Go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test select the closest server (its usually gold colored)

Post back your results
    dlholl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2008, 03:53 PM

I have a similar problem. When I look at my connection rate, it seemed to have gone from 100 mpbs down to 54 and just today I see it is down to 10! Can you tell me what's happening and how do I change it back to 100 mpbs?

Thanks! D
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Oct 1, 2008, 08:34 AM

There are numerous products on the market for this purpose but by far, the best is made by RiverBed. It analyzes the traffic between the devices and performs a deduplication of the data streams. It is not the same as compression. Compression attempts to remove data whitespace whereas deduplication looks at the bit streams and transmits only the ones that are unique. It already knows of the other ones so it is able to reassemble the data at each end with known data patterns and adding the unique data patterns. We have typically seen increases in performance by over 6 times. For small offices, there are RiverBed devices available that have hard disks in them that act as an onsite file server so that commonly used data is stored locally and in the event of a communications outage, access to the data is still allowed. Once the site-to-site VPN is reconnected, then the stored data is then updated automatically.

We also use the Riverbed Steelhead Mobile which installs a client on laptops. When using VPN to the office via ANY Internet connection, the software performs the same analysis to the RiverBed device on the other side of our VPN device and increases performance for our Mobile Workforce.

The performance of these products is the closest thing to magic that I have seen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

This site! [ 5 Answers ]

How do you put a picture on an answer/post?

How can I randomise images in a site to be linked via html coding for another site? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am mesmerised. How do Flickr, mybloglog, Facebook and numerous other sites update their badges eberytime the information is updated? Someone told me it is done with js. I hava a wordpress.com blog, which means I am not allowed to use javascript there. So I have to link my images updated...

View more questions Search