Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gazagirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 08:04 PM
    When does variation occur during divergent evolution?
    I have to illustrate a fictitious example of divergent evolution and I know the basic idea that a population splits to form two separate populations which then becomes isolated from one another and then different selection pressures and natural selection cause them to evolve differently.
    But I'm slightly confused. Does variation occur within the population before it is isolated or after it is isolated? And must the two populations be geographiaclly isolated by a barrier or can they simply live at separate ends of an island?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2008, 10:04 PM

Variations in nature will occur, independent of the situation. It's natural selection that makes the variations more visible, for example when the organisms are isolated in another environment.

Not necessarily. This can fairly well happen "at separate ends of an island" like you said.

I hope it helped!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rigor mortis always occur? [ 2 Answers ]

Does rigor mortis always occur? My friend just passed away last week and I noticed that his body was still as 'soft' as alive and by the time I touched him (wear new clothe), it was already 8 hrs after death. He died of heart disease. May I know why is it so? I read some articles somewhere...

How early can spotting occur? [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to notice spotting two days after unprotected sex? And when people say "it's light" I don't understand whether they mean its very little or the color is light. And can it be enough to fill up half a pad?

How does double taxation occur [ 1 Answers ]

How does double taxation of corporate income occur

Chances something will occur probability [ 1 Answers ]

On a certain street are three traffic lights. At any given time, the probablity that a light is green is 0.3. What is the probability that a person will hit all three lights when they are green?

Can implantation occur in just a few days? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone... I started my period on Jan. 25... I took an ovulation test which was positive on Feb. 6th... I had intercourse on my most fertile days. I then started to spot 4 days later for a couple days... could this be "implantation bleeding"? I am very regular with my menstral cycle (28)...

View more questions Search