Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thommyschnak Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Sep 28, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Fungus among us!
    I recently planted a Basil plant into potting soil that had been grown hydroponically. It was fine for a week, than in the past two days it started growing a white fuzzy mold on the surface of the soil. See attached pictures. How can I fix this, Please help!
    Attached Images

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 12:35 PM
    The potting soil you used was not sterlized, leaving bacteria within. I would repot it very gently into a good potting soil. Either that or just scoop off the mould. This will not harm the plant.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Sep 28, 2008, 12:51 PM

Agree it's either fusarium wilt or verticillium wilt. There are fungicides to control this on ornamentals but they are not safe for food crops. Best to start with new pots and trays when you grow things, or dip your old ones in bleach and then rinse them, and use sterilized potting soils, can also bake your regular potting mixes in an oven or pour boiling water over them and let sit covered until it cools off before using it. Basil is supposed to be easy to grow from cuttings, maybe clip your plant and root the stem in a glass of water then replant it fresh?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Feet Fungus [ 9 Answers ]

Is there a Alternative treatment for cracking fungus or yeast maybe on the feet... I have it only on my left foot not my right. Is there something I should be worried about...

How do I get rid of yard fungus? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a strange yard fungus growing from a spot the previous owner had cut down an old tree. It looks like little yellowish nugglets growing in my yard and if you kick them up the bottoms look like dog turds rolled in grass. They are pretty hard and really make a racket when I mow over them....

Yard Fungus [ 3 Answers ]

I just joined this site and have a question about a yard fungus or some kind of mushroom that is growing in my yard. Member, Ericstewart, had a similar question and I've noticed that nobody has replied to his question. I'm going to try and attach a picture of the ones I have in one spot in my...

Fungus and wood [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought an older home with an upstairs shower that had been leaking into the framing below it. The section 1 pest report notes "fungus and rot decay" to the wood members below it, and recommends replacing all the damaged framing. However, inspecting this framing myself reveals wood that has...

Toenail fungus [ 3 Answers ]

I have toenail fungus in both my big toes and the treatment the Dr. gave me doesn't seem to be working. I read that vinegar is good to use applying with a Qtip putting it under the nail and on the nail surface. I have been doing this for over a month and see no progress. Does anyone have a success...

View more questions Search