Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Djane1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Cross between breeds
    What do you call a cross between a pit bull and a rottweiler?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Djane1 View Post
    what do you call a cross between a pit bull and a rottweiler?

There's no "designer dog" nickname, if that's what you're asking. It's simply a cross between the two breeds.
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Sep 29, 2008, 09:48 AM

You can say a Pitt/Rotty cross or mix.

It's not a "Designer dog" yet as far as I know... like the "Cockadoodle" for example. This is a cross between a Cocker Spaniel and a Poodle.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 29, 2008, 03:58 PM

I would call it something that you better put A lot of time in training into, so you know what you are dealing with.

... and before you think I'm saying this because I'm a Rottie or PB hater, I'm not! But you sure have to do extensive research and training with those 2 breeds in one dog! They are both very aggressive breeds, and can be very unpredictable. It's in their genes, and is their nature.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 29, 2008, 04:01 PM

It's a mutt, for lack of a better term.

I have two mutts, border collie/lab mix and lab/border collie mix. Yes, the dominant breed is placed first. :)

I have to agree with Starby, no matter what you call it, train it, and train it well, those two breeds together is going to be a lot of dog to handle, and if it ever decides to attack, good bye.

Good luck.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2008, 09:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetDee View Post
    You can say a Pitt/Rotty cross or mix.

It's not a "Designer dog" yet as far as I know...like the "Cockadoodle" for example. This is a cross between a Cocker Spaniel and a Poodle.
    You know, sometimes the perverse side of me wants to walk up to someone with a "designer dog", ask what kind of dog they have, wait to hear "cockadoodle" or "maltie-poo" or whatever, and then say: "Oh... you mean a mutt?" Never have, but sometimes the urge is high.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2008, 03:37 AM

I don't uncderstand this designer dogh stuff. None are recognised as breeds in the canadian kennel club or the american kennel club. But to me. A dog is a dog no matter if it's a mutt or not.

But onto what some people said about them being hard to handle and violent etc.. I've owned Pits and rotties, a few other breeds and a few crosses.. in my opinion if I was to compare rotties, pits and lets say Alapha Blue Blooded bulldogs (I'll use that breed of bulldog just because I know someone who owns two.) I would have to rate pits as the lowest for violent tendencies. Rotties would come in second and the bulldog would come in first place (only because that breed is known for its protecting qualities and attaches itself to its owner and will not trust many other people. Pits are the least aggressive out of the "more agressive" breeds. You just see a lot of them and hear from them more because they are more popular for fighting and for protection...

Pits are awesome family pets. Its not the breed it's the owner that creates violent problem dogs. And with rotties I find they need lots of exercise but naturally are calm dogs when they are family pets all their lives and not guard dogs. I say congrats on getting a pit/rott cross. I know you'll love it during all the many years you are together.
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2008, 06:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7 View Post
    You know, sometimes the perverse side of me wants to walk up to someone with a "designer dog", ask what kind of dog they have, wait to hear "cockadoodle" or "maltie-poo" or whatever, and then say: "Oh... you mean a mutt?" Never have, but sometimes the urge is high.

I don't want anyone to think I "approve" (for lack of a better word) of cross breeding to create "designer" dogs. That is simply a description that has become accepted and, therefore, I used it. I worked in animal rescue too long to think it's anything more than cross breeding, creating a mixed breed out of two registered dogs.

Both of my dogs are rescues, both German Shepherds. I've also had Rotts and found them to be more mellow than GSD. Just as powerful, just more laid back. Never had a pitt (for no particular reason).

Just didn't want anyone to think I was in favor of designer breeds - hopefully the OP is not breeding and has simply adopted a dog, doesn't know how to describe it.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2008, 07:48 AM

I had a boyfriend for a while who's family owned a rottie. As you say, rather mellow, but capable of doing a lot of damage just because of size. I'll never forget the day that we were in the kitchen, and he got up, walked across the room to get a drink out of his dish, walked into the table leg and broke it off, and just walked on without even looking back. Which was one of the reasons that the dog was restricted to the kitchen when in the house.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2008, 05:01 PM

I have nothing against the name game when it comes to identifying crossbred dogs. The OP didn't mention anything about breeding them. I'm guessing she just happens to own a pit bull/rottweiler mix.

Djane, if I were you I would call it a pit weiler. Cute, right? It's also much nicer sounding than a rottie bull, a pitt rott or a bull rott.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 05:40 PM

Bull rott, LMAO, sorry, mental picture. ;)

Oct 1, 2008, 07:01 AM

Binx44 really had me agreeing about the whole Pittbull and Rottie opinon.

I know the Pitt has a horrid reputation. Society is split w/ their views on this breed... This poor dog is banned in so many provinces and states.

I'm a dog trainer and I cannot say this enough... "Dogs are a reflection on what we teach them". If we teach them nothing then they will grow into the breed related characters that WE created...

It's HUMANS that created dog... It's US that determined the outcome for the Pittbull.

I think we all need to rethink who should have the responsibility or luxury to raise certain breeds. I think that we should go to school and get educated on "how to" before getting the right to own a dog like the Pitt, Rotty, Bull's, Shepherds, Dobermans, etc... all harder to handle dogs. We should pass a test... perhaps need a licence? I disagree w/ abolishing the Pitts just because people can't manage or handle the breed properly!

(Kids and dogs... it's a shame that ANYONE can have one... :().

Oct 1, 2008, 07:05 AM

I'm going to take my last comment about Pitt owners and if they should be licenced to the board... because it's a good question... xo
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetDee View Post
    I'm going to take my last comment about Pitt owners and if they should be licenced to the board...cuz it's a good question...xo

I investigate a lot of dog bites - I see idiot owners of dogs of every breed and size.

Of course, I also see a lot of idiot parents - :)

I don't know what the answer is - certainly bigger, more powerful dogs do more damage if they bite. People tend to bend over or hold little dogs up to their faces so those end up being upper body bites.

I don't know what the answer is. I personally don't want to live with some sort of time bomb dog, never knowing what the dog is going to do next, but so far I've never had that problem and my dogs have been mostly rescues.

I also think any landlord who rents to someone with a dog and doesn't require tenant insurance is asking to get sued.

Clunk! Falling off my soapbox.

Oct 1, 2008, 08:14 AM

Call it a Pittrott Bullweiler!! It's so exotic.. LMAOOOOOOOO!:p:D
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 06:41 AM

Cute, sweetdee.

I found a site full of creative names a while ago, and I just came across it again. There you can find all the whoodles, sheepadoodles, schnockers, schweenies, pomapoos, labrotties, bull-peis, buggs, brugs, bullmatians, and (yes) even bullypits (I swear it's there) your heart desires.

Take a peek. There are also lots of pictures of crossbred dogs included.

All Purebred & Hybrid Dogs in ABC Order

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog breeds to live with cats [ 4 Answers ]

What dog breeds are the best to introduce into a house with cats?

What mix of breeds is my dog? [ 5 Answers ]

I have rescued a shelter dog and would like to pin her traits to a couple of dog breeds. She is thin at 30 pounds, 14 inches at the shoulder, 27 inches tail to head, long bushy tail, long pointed nose, brown eyes, black medium coat with honey brown under belly, small white feet. Her back is...

Dog Breeds [ 2 Answers ]

Could you give me a list with all the small breed dogs?

High chested breeds? [ 12 Answers ]

I was recently told that dogs that are "high-chested" are at risk of having their stomach going into their chest and twisting after they have vomited, resulting in death. I have a chihuauha and was told it was a high-chested breed. Is this true? Should I be concerned about this? I've done some...

Puppy - What breeds do you think he is? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, This is Loki, he is between 9 and 10 weeks old and was found under my garbage can a couple weeks ago. After putting up signs, walking him around the neighbourhood and calling the local shelters with no success he has become part of the family of three other dogs and one cat. I'm...

View more questions Search