Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gromitt82 Posts: 370, Reputation: 23

Sep 28, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Conceit or Meakness
    The 2nd reading of today’s Mass, is particularly pertinent in my opinion to explicitly illustrate a common denominator of modern societies. Our arrogance and conceit when confronted to others. We are always right! The others are wrong!

“If there is any encouragement in Christ, any solace in love, any participation in the Spirit, any compassion and mercy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, with the same love, united in heart, thinking one thing.
    Do nothing out of selfishness or out of vainglory; rather, humbly regard others as more important than yourselves, each looking out not for his own interests, but (also) everyone for those of others. Have among yourselves the same attitude that is also yours in Christ Jesus, Who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped. Rather, he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and found human in appearance, he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, even death on a Cross. Because of this, God greatly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, of those in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father
    (Phil. 2:1-11) (USCB)

Unsurpassable lesson of meekness and love from our Lord!
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Sep 28, 2008, 01:29 PM

The definition of meek is strength under control. That is why Moses is called meek. He had absolute power in Israel but also had self control. Usually!
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Sep 28, 2008, 09:25 PM
    Unsurpassable lesson of meekness and love from our Lord![/QUOTE]

Amen and amen!

Sep 29, 2008, 03:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1 View Post
    The definition of meek is strength under control. That is why Moses is called meek. He had absolute power in Israel but also had self control. Usually!
    While I do not question your definition of "meek", allow me to write down the Thessaurus definition:
    –adjective, -er, -est. 1. humbly patient or docile, as under provocation from others.
    2. overly submissive or compliant; spiritless; tame.
    3. Obsolete. gentle; kind.
    Which, incidentally, coincides with that of the OXFORD dictionary too.

Sep 29, 2008, 03:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by revdrgade View Post
    Unsurpassable lesson of meekness and love from our Lord!
    Amen and amen![/QUOTE]

And AMEN!
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Sep 29, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gromitt82 View Post
    While I do not question your definition of "meek", allow me to write down the Thessaurus definition:
    –adjective, -er, -est. 1. humbly patient or docile, as under provocation from others.
    2. overly submissive or compliant; spiritless; tame.
    3. Obsolete. gentle; kind.
    which, incidentally, coincides with that of the OXFORD dictionary too.
    Those definitions do not fit Jesus Christ, although the Bible calls Him meek and lowly. He was submissive to others in His arrest, torture, and crucifixion, but otherwise no. Read his frank assessments of the religious leaders, and see Him driving the money changers out of the temple.

Gentle with hurting people, yes.

He could have called ten legions of angels to free Him. Strength under control.

Sep 30, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1 View Post
    Those definitions do not fit Jesus Christ, although the Bible calls Him meek and lowly. He was submissive to others in His arrest, torture, and crucifixion, but otherwise no. Read his frank assessments of the religious leaders, and see Him driving the money changers out of the temple.

Gentle with hurting people, yes.

He could have called ten legions of angels to free Him. Strength under control.
    It is a good definition of Jesus' personality as a human being!

Still, GOD's plans for him were to have HIM dying in the Cross to redeem us. And his tortures and crucifixion were meant to show us HIS immense love for Mankind. For, as GOD, he needed not to have recourse to any legion of angels to free HIM. HE could have easily freed HIMSELF in a blink of the eye while destroying at the same time all HIS murderers.
    HIS Passion was therefore meant to show us the way to HIS Kingdom!
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Sep 30, 2008, 08:43 AM

Submissive is good, because it implies an obeying:
    Jhn 8:25 They said therefore unto him, Who art thou? Jesus said unto them, Even that which I have also spoken unto you from the beginning.
    Jhn 8:26 I have many things to speak and to judge concerning you: howbeit he that sent me is true; and the things which I heard from him, these speak I unto the world.
    Jhn 8:27 They perceived not that he spake to them of the Father.

Oct 1, 2008, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cogs View Post
    submissive is good, because it implies an obeying:
    Jhn 8:25 They said therefore unto him, Who art thou? Jesus said unto them, Even that which I have also spoken unto you from the beginning.
    Jhn 8:26 I have many things to speak and to judge concerning you: howbeit he that sent me is true; and the things which I heard from him, these speak I unto the world.
    Jhn 8:27 They perceived not that he spake to them of the Father.

And this is what we should ALL be doing, submit ourselves to GOD's will and abide by Jesus' Word
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2008, 01:25 PM

MEEK adjective
    1. humble in spirit or manner; suggesting retiring mildness or even cowed submissiveness; "meek and self-effacing"
    2. very docile; "tame obedience"; "meek as a mouse"- Langston Hughes
    3. evidencing little spirit or courage; overly submissive or compliant; "compliant and anxious to suit his opinions of those of others"; "a fine fiery blast against meek conformity"- Orville Prescott; "she looked meek but had the heart of a lion"; "was submissive and subservient" Dictionary dot com. On live dictionary.

Meek is a word whose origin is in the 14th Century and it meant
    Submissive.

Perhaps, two thousand years ago being submissive was a virtue in a world full of tyrants and dictators, but we know from two millennia that today that being meek is a fault. The meek NEVER inherit the earth.

As for conceit, we are told NEVER hide our light under a bushelbasket. Shine shine shine... a tenet of Jesus teachings. :)
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Oct 1, 2008, 01:57 PM

Jesus:
    Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

The point is that we should be submissive to god, as jesus was. This could also mean to follow god instead of man, which runs contrary to human nature, causing controversy.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2008, 02:20 PM

1. By Jesus' actions, he WASN'T meek at all.

2. The main teaching of Jesus was the Sermon on the Mount which said that the meek shall inherit the earth. That doesn't happen. The meek are trod upon and cast aside.

Oct 2, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux View Post
    1. By Jesus' actions, he WASN'T meek at all.

2. The main teaching of Jesus was the Sermon on the Mount which said that the meek shall inherit the earth. That doesn't happen. The meek are trod upon and cast aside.

Meekness does not mean weakness! It does not mean one must cower or retreat from his principles. It does not involve the surrender of ones rights. Meek men and women of the Bible showed firm resolve, courage, conviction and strength.

So must we.

The phrase "inherit the earth" is a figure of speech which
    denotes the highest of blessings. These blessings are realized when the righteous enjoy the good things of life which the wicked often overlook in their pursuit of whatever. Also there is the peace, security and hope in Christ. And finally there is "the new
    heavens and a new earth" to be revealed at the end of time (II
    PETER 3:15). The meek truly shall "inherit the earth"!

;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search