Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lawgirl20064 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 07:53 AM
    Sewer smell during laundry
    I already augered the washer pipe. I also ran a hose up to the roof and flushed out the vent pipe. There was no leaking anywhere when the water was running through the vent pipe. The smell is the strongest in the basement. It may also smell a little when I run the shower. Thoughts?? Thanks.
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Sep 28, 2008, 05:21 PM

Is there a floor drain in the basement? Sometimes, if they don't get enough use, the water in the trap evaporates and you can get sewer gas back through them. In fact, any drain that is not used for a long time can give this problem.

Actually, now that I think about it, sometimes a wash machine develops a bad odor between wash days. Have you checked the machine before the first load?

EPM

PS For all you nit pickers out there, I do know about trap seal makeup systems, but they aren't found very often in residential... yet. :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 05:56 PM

Is your washer draining into a stand pipe that is not vented? That would create the issue you describe.

Sep 29, 2008, 06:19 AM
    I don't know about the venting. Can you let me know how to check. Also, it rained really hard last night and that also created the smell.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 29, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawgirl20064 View Post
    I don't know about the venting. Can you let me know how to check. Also, it rained really hard last night and that also created the smell.
    A washer set up looks like this, (see image). The vent is in the wall. Smells are always worse in rain or high humidity. The dense air makes the smell heavier and brings them closer to the ground so you smell it more. And check the floordrain trap to be sure it's full.Regards, Tom

Sep 29, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Ha! No. My washer pipe is kind of a crazy mock-up job done by the last owner. The washer drains into a standing pipe that then goes nowhere that I can see. Underneath the basement floor. The weird thing is, I never had this smell for 10 months and obviously I was doing laundry.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 29, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Hey Girl,
    Let's see if the washer's trapped. Stick a broom handle down the stand pipe and look at it when you draw it back out. There should be a few inches of water on the end. Let me know what you find. Regards, Tom

Sep 29, 2008, 08:11 AM

There is water on the end.

Sep 29, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Is your washer draining into a stand pipe that is not vented?? That would create the issue you describe.
    Here is a brief history of the situation.
    I moved into the house 10 months ago.
    Replaced the airconditioner 9 months ago.
    Had a clog in the kitchen sink 2.5 months ago and used a plunger to remove.
    Detected the sewer smell coming from the basement about 2 months ago.
    Used an auger to clear out the washing machine pipe and ran a hose through the vent to check for clogs, leaks. None.
    Now, the smell is BAD, espcially after it rains, I use washing machine and sometimes after using toilet, shower.

No fixture is draining poorly except the washer which leaks a little underneath the washer. Any ideas?

One more thing. I have researched the issue of a clean-out plug for the basement floor drain. I do not have a plug on that part of the drain. It's an old in the floor drain. Could it really be that simple??

Sep 29, 2008, 11:24 AM

Well, Tom is a master plumber but there may be one hitch to his test for a trap. Usually an inch or so of water is an indicator of a trap but standuing water in the darin line can also give a false reading. With you other drain issues you may still have a partially clogged drain pipe and NO trap. Try removing your washer drain from the stand pipe, cover the open end of the stand pipe with plastic wrap and a few rubber bands, if the smell disappears you probably have no trap. You can create a air tight sealing connection between the stand pipe and the washer. Tom's expertise doesn't end with plumbing, he can show you the proper connection with his library of pics, right Tom?

Sep 29, 2008, 11:46 AM

Just saw your question regarding the floor drain. Remove the strainer and add a bucket of water, if you see standing water the drain is likely trapped but can give you a false reading just like Tom's broom stick test. Tape plastic wrap over the drain for several days just like the stand pipe. I have never run into an untrappde floor drain but there is always a first time.

Sep 29, 2008, 03:47 PM
    So, the floor drain has a trap. I am still unsure about the washing machine pipe. However, I took the washer tube out of the pipe and sniffed and didn't notice any smell. I am running a load of laundry and will check again after. Any other thoughts or tests I can run to narrow down the smell? The plumber is coming tomorrow and I'd love to have an idea about what's going on so I don't get charged for hours of investigating. Thank you so much.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 29, 2008, 04:20 PM

Are you saying that the hole in the side of the floordrain is open(no plug)? If so, yes this could very well be your problem.

Sep 30, 2008, 07:46 AM

Lawgirl, did you try the plastic wrap?

Mygirls, where did you catch the part about no plug?
    Thanks,
    Bob

Sep 30, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Hello! Ok, so I tried the plastic wrap and it seemed to me that the smell was definitely leaking out of the floor drain. I didn't have a cap on the part of the floor drain and it was horribly corroded. A plumber came this morning and said that the missing cap was definitely part of the problem. The other part was that after the flooding, the cap was gone and the drain was horrible clogged underneath the basement. They are coming tomorrow to chip away part of the floor and fix the clog and cap the hole. He said it would be about 300.00 Does this seem like an OK price and/or the legitimate cause? You have been a great help thus faar. Thank you!

Sep 30, 2008, 08:02 AM

So the plumber did not try to rod the drain at all, just decided he has to break up your floor? The price seamsa low and the reasoning seems weak. The missing cap is likely a drain strainer and would not affect the drain one bit. Floor drain traps can be a pain to rod but I sure would have tried bedfore I got my rotary hammer out and broke the floor.

Sep 30, 2008, 08:06 AM

The plumber did try to rod it first. Hmmmmmm... I will be there tomorrow morning again. What do you think I should do at this point?

Sep 30, 2008, 08:08 AM

He is there and I am not, just let him do what he thinks is best since he has actually done an inspection. Its hard for us to "picture" all the iissues in our minds eye, maybe this guy is right.

Sep 30, 2008, 08:13 AM

Well, I will give it a go. If this does not work I will be back online once again asking for assistance. Thank you!!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 02:32 PM
    I do not have a plug on that part of the drain. It's an old in the floor drain. Could it really be that simple?? [/QUOTE]
    This quote is from the bottom of post #9
    Ballengerb,
    I took this to mean that she does have a side cleanout, but it is not plugged (capped). Sorry if I misunderstood.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Smell in Laundry Room [ 13 Answers ]

We are getting a sewer gas smell when we do laundry! This started as just the odd time and then became almost every time we did laundry. We have a brand New Kenmore front load washer and front load dryer(both electric as we have no natural gas in our house) - but the smell had happened before these...

All my toilets smell like a sewer! Sewer backed up? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a problem and was hoping for some guidance... lately all of my toilets have been smelling really bad. We have 3 toilets in the house, 2 full baths on the upper level, and a powder room on the main. The main bath on the upper level is the worse of the 3. It doesn't get...

Sewer smell coming from laundry room [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! We just moved into our home about 6 months ago. It was built in the 70's, and is really in great condition. When they did the inspection, they did notice a little standing water under the laundry room. We (and the inspector) dismissed it as a problem with the previous owners old...

Sewer smell when washing clothes and metal smell in water [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved in a Lease to own house and after one month there is now a smell of sewer when washing clothes. The smell in the water has been here since day one and we are in the process of testing the well water. Can anyone help? I think we have a septic tank since we are on well water but the...

Sewer smell in laundry tub [ 1 Answers ]

Hi At my house, I am on a septic system. For the last couple of weeks, every time we wash Clothes, we get a bad smell in the laundry tub when the washer is draining. Do this mean We probably need our septic system pumped out. It's been nine years since it was last done Thanks

View more questions Search