Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanPatrick10 Posts: 134, Reputation: 5

Sep 27, 2008, 08:04 PM
    What Career Path Should I Choose?
    I did the Navy thing for 4 years before going to college; this is a big career change for me. I realized the possibility of making bigger gains by being independent and successfully completing a college degree. However, I miss having a salary, having surplus cash, being able to buy Subway or better everyday for lunch.

There are a lot of career fields available for finance majors. Financial Planner, Analyst, Security Sales and Trading, and Insurance just to name a few. Since I have only taken one core class for finance, so I still have much to learn.

I'd like to get some input from the folks out there who are in finance and general advise on choosing a career path. There are so many I have trouble deciding. Which career path will put me on the fast track of making a descent salary after college? Which career has the most potential for job growth? Are finance majors happy with their degree after college?

Here's a little about me to help with the advise:

I consider myself to be friendly and have a pleasant demeanor.

I would like to see other people make the most out of their money. This would make me happy.

I'm a fairly good seller, but I hate selling things.

I'm better talking in person than on the phone.

I am a good writer.

Thank you so much.
    wingrun Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Oct 5, 2008, 08:11 PM

I'm about to graduate and I'm in the same situation you are at the moment. First and foremost the future forecast for finance field is not as bright as other industries mainly due to the credit crisis. Many of the employers who usually look for college students now can look for experienced people who were laid off from their previous jobs.

I was going to say you should be on the sales side since you are friendly and want to make the most out of people's money. You don't have to think about it as sales, you can think about it as helping people. For example, retirement services could be thought of as helping people have a good retirement.

Analyst might be a bit boring because it will consist of long hours of work and lots of hours researching. Quantitative knowledge is also necessary for this field as well as CFA.

The steadiest paycheck from the list of jobs would probably be a bank job to start probably.

To learn more about careers in finance, go to efinancialcareers.com
    http://www.efinancialcareers.com/ima...se/cifm_us.pdf

To learn more about future outlook in industries, check out bureau of labor statistics at bls.gov

p.s. you can also consider to be a business writer/journalist?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPatrick10 View Post
    I miss having a salary, having surplus cash, being able to buy Subway or better everyday for lunch.
    Will a career in finance make you happy and cause you to wake up every morning, eyes bright and mind eager for the day ahead?

I am a good writer.
    ""Everyday" in your sentence ending "...or better everyday for lunch" is actually two words, not one.

"Advise" as you used it is spelled "advice."

Remember what Marsha Sinetar said: "Do what you love, the money will follow." She even wrote a book with that title. I wish you both happiness and success.
    DanPatrick10 Posts: 134, Reputation: 5

Oct 5, 2008, 09:58 PM
    p.s. you can also consider to be a business writer/journalist?
    Thank you for your replies and encouragement. I have thought about being a journalist or editor despite those typos that were pointed out so well.
    tradertrader Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 12:50 PM
    I have a Finance/Economics background from UT. Currently, I am working for an investment bank as an Energy Derivatives Trader, I started as a junior analyst (1.5yrs). If you love challenges, can undertake some risk, and have good judgement, then this is kind of career path I recommend. Although the times are tough, there are many good jobs in finance and trading available... check on sites like CommodityCareers.com- Trading jobs,Quantitative Analyst jobs,Risk Management jobs,Marketing and Origination jobs for opportunities in commodities trading - that's how I landed my position. Good Luck
    Zazonker Posts: 126, Reputation: 19
    -

May 7, 2009, 10:29 AM

One thing you should consider is going back into the Navy as an officer. You already have 4 years active duty credit for pay and retirement calculations. (Well, not "real" retirement, but retirement from the military drawing retirement pay while you do something else). Starting pay for an ensign with over 4 years is $3,340.50 plus allowances (housing and subsistence come to over $1,000 for someone with dependents, just a couple hundred less for single) and full medical - a big thing in today's world.

There may be reasons you don't want to do this, but you ought to at least put it on your list of options. -- The one big drawback I see into starting a civilian career in finance right now, is that the shakeup isn't over and no one really knows where it is going.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 7, 2009, 04:56 PM

Eh hem... thread from 2008. tradertrader dragged it back out and made it current.
    Zazonker Posts: 126, Reputation: 19
    -

May 7, 2009, 05:21 PM
    I am truly embarrassed for missing that! Thanks for pointing it out.

But, it's not the stupidest thing I've ever done (it's got a lot of competition) so given time, I'm sure I'll get over it.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 7, 2009, 05:27 PM

You're not the one who dragged up the old thread. Newbies usually get these doing a search or looking at the "similar threads" at the bottom of the page, and once they'd dragged it back up, it's easy to not notice the date. We've probably all done it, so don't be embarrassed. :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to choose the right path [ 21 Answers ]

This is a long story, but I'm begging you to read the whole text, cause you are the only ones who can help me out on this... Hello everyone! First of all I want to apologize for any english mistakes I will make, its not my language but I will try my hardest to explain my situation best. Me...

Career Path [ 1 Answers ]

I have one and a half year experience in Siebel Functional Testing plus 6 months internship in Siebel technology(completed a project during internship).Worked on CRM and PRM modules. What type of career prospects I have ?

IT - Career Path and Job Title [ 3 Answers ]

I strongly need your help!! I am in the process of creating the HR department for my company, so I am requested to include the career path for the IT consultants and IT Project Managers employee. They should be divided into 5 phases. i.e.: Receptionist => secretary => admin assistant =>...

View more questions Search