Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanPatrick10 Posts: 134, Reputation: 5

Sep 27, 2008, 07:20 PM
    300ZX Turbo: Noticeable backfire
    My 85 300ZX Turbo has been backfiring and idling rough. Sometimes it won't start right up from a cold start, but it will after a couple of times. When the engine is warm, it starts right up. I guess this has been going on for around six months or more.

I had a full tune-up done thinking this would easily remedy the issue, but the car still backfires and idles rough. Battery is new, alternator is a few months old. I ran the ECU codes and I got TPS (throttle position sensor). I figured this needed to be replaced before running the codes though.

I doubt the TPS is related to the problem. Some people say it could be the ignition coil but I've never heard of ignition components going out on the Z31 series (they are solid) unless you beat the daylights out of them.

I'd like to get more input before I take it to one of the many greedy mechanics around town so they can't rip me off and say I need a lot of unnecessary work done.

Info about car:

3.0 FI SOHC TURBO
    87,000 miles
    Recent tune-up
    Recent alternator
    New battery

Check out some similar questions!

1985 Nissan 300ZX Turbo Running Rough [ 3 Answers ]

OK, I've had this car for 5 years and it always ran great. Did regular oil change and tune-ups. The car began running rough a few months ago and has also been difficult to start, so I got it a tune-up and a new battery but the problems still exist. First, it's hard to start when cold. I've got...

1985 300ZX Turbo Keep or Sell? [ 1 Answers ]

I've had this car for 5 years now at about 85K. Runs very strong, I know what it needs and what it doesn't Need. I realize I won't get back what I put into the car, but I guess you could say I'm looking for something a little more mature. Don't have the money to buy a new car, and I don't want...

85 300ZX Turbo-Do I need an alternator? [ 2 Answers ]

Last week all my idiot lights came on while driving my 300ZX. They go out when I am at a full stop. I had the charging system checked at a Shuck's(Part's America) store. The instrument they used measured a 12.42 charge, but it stated that the "diode ripple" was not detected. I am still able...

1985 300ZX Turbo-Reeks of Fuel [ 3 Answers ]

Recently, these past couple of weeks, my 300ZX reeks of fuel inside the cabin. Sometimes the fuel smells burned, and other times it smells fresh like it's not being burned. The smell is asphyxiating and I have to open the windows to get fresh air. My entire exhaust system was replaced from...

1985 300ZX Turbo Running Rough at Idle [ 3 Answers ]

I've had my 300ZX for almost 5 years and it has never given me any trouble. I change the oil every 2500 miles, use the proper(NGK) plugs, clean the filtercharger, and had the fuel injection service performed. Turbocharger was rebuilt around 65k and exhaust system was redone around the same time....

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.