Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    h0llister Posts: 335, Reputation: 15

Sep 27, 2008, 12:49 PM
    A sign from God?
    Hello, I am a not a Catholic but I was attending a Catholic church for about 9months, but the last 3-4 months I haven't been going because I was traveling a lot and wasn't able to find a church in the areas ( I know there's no good excuse but that was my reason) I was suppose to start the RCIA program this month, But I just got back home and I just got a job. So I started to lose faith and I feel guilty now. Anyway today I was walking in a parking lot and I saw on the ground a silver plain cross necklace.. ( it looks like this http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/L10764020.jpg ) I was wondering if you believe it's a sign from God to do the program and not lose faith. I did pick up the necklace as I felt it was a sign, not stealing. Was it wrong of me to take it? Do you believe it is a sign to continue going to church? I have always wanted one but I was going to wait until I was done the program. Also would it be OK to wear it?
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Sep 27, 2008, 01:17 PM

Hollister -

What do you think God wants from you?

Sep 27, 2008, 02:16 PM

To continue going to church
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2008, 02:36 PM

I would suggest that it was probably lost by someone walking across the same lot, so, no, I do not think that it is a sign from God. My suggestion is to post a notice in nearby businesses/stores that a necklace was found (no pictures of details - let them describe it to you so that you know that you have the right owner).

Nonetheless, I would suggest that you start reading and studying your Bible, and I would suggest that you seek out a good sound Bible-believing church to attend.

Have you received Jesus as Lord and Saviour?
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Sep 27, 2008, 04:59 PM

Hollister - why do you think He wants you to continue going to church?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2008, 05:06 PM

I believe God shows us all the time in all situations that He is with us. Some people might believe it was a fluke or that somebody lost it but no matter the reason for it being there it has opened your heart to continue your step with God.

My suggestion is that you thank God for the wake up sign, and that you do in your heart want to continue your step with God. Be prayerful always, and know that God will answer you.

My suggestion for the neckless is put it in lost in found and hopefully it will get back to its rightful owner and if not, well it will work its way into another persons life just at the right time.

Joe

Sep 27, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    I would suggest that it was probably lost by someone walking across the same lot, so, no, I do not think that it is a sign from God. My suggestion is to post a notice in nearby businesses/stores that a necklace was found (no pictures of details - let them describe it to you so that you know that you have the right owner).

Nonetheless, I would suggest that you start reading and studying your Bible, and I would suggest that you seek out a good sound Bible-believing church to attend.

Have you received Jesus as Lord and Saviour?

I know it was lost by someone, but why did God have me find it... I live in a big city and I found it right beside the highway/parking lot. There's a huge mall right by it too, I wouldn't know where to post an add, there are a lot of tourists in this area as well. I'm going to church tomorrow, I will talk to my priest about it.

Sep 27, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester View Post
    hollister - why do you think He wants you to continue going to church?
    Because I started to lose faith! :(
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 05:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by h0llister View Post
    I know it was lost by someone, but why did God have me find it...
    Why do you think He did? I don't think that's why you found it. I think it was coincidence.

Sep 27, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Why do you think He did? I don't think that's why you found it. I think it was coincidence.
    I think it all depends on faith. I'm sure if a priest were to respond he would agree that God had me find it. But if someone who has no religion would believe it was just coincidence
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 05:25 PM
    I think it all depends on faith. I'm sure if a priest were to respond he would agree that God had me find it. But if someone who has no religion would believe it was just coincidence
    *cough* I'm a minister's daughter, former parochial school teacher, former Sunday School teacher, adult Bible class leader, Christian counselor. Yeah, I got religion.

Sep 27, 2008, 05:34 PM
    [/HTML]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    *cough* I'm a minister's daughter, former parochial school teacher, former Sunday School teacher, adult Bible class leader, Christian counselor. Yeah, I got religion.
    Wow I'm sorry I didn't know that!. but what I felt when I found it was so weird I honesty just stopped walking and stared at it for awhile. It was so weird then it gave me so much faith again, I think god picked me to find it for a reason
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2008, 05:49 PM
    I know it was lost by someone, but why did God have me find it... I live in a big city and I found it right beside the highway/parking lot. Theres a huge mall right by it too, I wouldnt know where to post an add, there are alot of tourists in this area aswell. I'm going to church tomorrow, I will talk to my priest about it.
    There could be many reasons. God may use situations like this to see whether a person is swayed by experiences or whether they will stand firm on God's word. Too often people see things happen or see things in toast, salt on a highway underpass, etc. and will begin to focus on those things whereas God would have us not be distracted by such things and to get firmly in His word. It may also be a test to see if you would keep the trinket or whether you would turn it in so that it's rightful owner can get it back. Malls normally have a lost and found center for the mall as a whole, so that may be an excellent place to leave it.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2008, 06:17 PM

h0llister agrees: Thank you, I believe this aswell very strongly. Would it be ok to wear the necklace for now?

What do you think the right thing to do is. I know you already know. Continue your walk with God, and give the neckless to the lost and found. It does not matter how big your city is, if eventually no one claims it, its purpose will be filled in another persons life. Please learn this.

Yes, talk to your priest but I am sure your priest will say the same thing. Remember not to hold any object as an idol. It is material, and God is spiritual.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2008, 07:08 PM

Don't look for "signs" outside yourself. :) Think and meditate, pray and then make decisions.

Someone lost their cross or threw it away, and you found it. YOu might as well wear it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 07:59 PM

God often sends us signs, sends people into our lives, and often gives us a good kick in the rear to get us in that right direction.

But the main sign was the guilt or the emtpy place you have or had knowing you needed to get closer to God
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Sep 28, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Since God has given us the message of His will about "going to church", we really don't need signs:

Heb 10:25
    25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another
    NIV

However, I always love it when God DOES give us a sign just to show that He knows what's going on in our lives. And I do believe that there are many times when He does give signs confirming His word:
    Mark 16:19-20

19 After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God. 20 Then the disciples went out and preached everywhere, and the Lord worked with them and confirmed his word by the signs that accompanied it.
    NIV

Acts 2:22

22 "Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs , which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know.
    NIV

Heb 2:3-4
    This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him. 4 God also testified to it by signs , wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.
    NIV

As far as the found cross is concerned; If there is no good way of finding the owner, then consider yourself the owner by God's hand and wear the cross.
    AND..... If, in the future some "poor in spirit" person admires the cross or you feel NEEDS that cross... then pass it on to them as a gift to them from God.
    saintjoan Posts: 36, Reputation: 6

Sep 28, 2008, 07:44 AM

The Bible says:
    38Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. 39But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: 40For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

If you want answers stick to the infallible word of God.
    Irulan Posts: 92, Reputation: 17

Sep 28, 2008, 07:55 AM
    Not a sign from God, just a lost item from someone who walked the same path.

The Divine can be approached in other places not only in churches, temples and synagogues.

Going to church is not a sign of religious fervor of faith; if the heart is not in it, no matter what "church" you atttend you will not reach the Divine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Willing to sign [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 9 year old daughter and I have raised her by myself. The father has not been interested in her at any point. I have not received any help from him unless the court takes it. My question is He is willing to relinqution his rights. Do I have to get a lawyer for this or can we file the...

How to sign [ 2 Answers ]

My sons father wants to sign over his rights. So how do we do this.

Is this a good sign or a bad sign? I am so confused [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend left me almost a month ago, and I have been giving her space. Haven't called, text, or msged her in that month. Then one day she called me at first but I missed her call so I called her back and she said she called me by accident so I said oh OK, and then we hung up like nothing ever...

Sign on Bonus Taxrepay & deducting yearly bonus from my sign on [ 1 Answers ]

I got a $5,000 sign on bonus & left the company under 1 year. They held back my $3,033 yearly bonus to deduct it from what I owed them in sign on. BUT they took taxes out of the $3033 bonus before deducting it from what I need to pay back. So they are subtracting $1817 from $5,000, saying I...

Sign Industry Wind Load Charts, Sign Section Modulus Charts [ 0 Answers ]

Recently I've been designing commercial electrical signs. Signs of the type that are on tall poles, or the big pylons and monuments you see in shopping centers, roadsides, etc. lit by neon and/or fluorescent lighting. In order to properly choose the size of poles, and the depth and diameters of...

View more questions Search