Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vydyam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2008, 10:23 AM
    "tin" or "ssn" or "ittn"
    Hi,

I came on "h-1b" to usa just couple of weeks ago. I need to know whether "ssn" can be applied for my wife. I heard that the tax which would be paying will be less when I claim that 'am living here with my family. For that to happen , what is that I need to do from my side. Do I need to apply for "tin" or "ssn"or "ittn"(not sure what is this)

Kindly help me out.

Regards,
    vydyam
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vydyam View Post
    hi,

I came on "h-1b" to usa just couple of weeks ago. i need to know whether "ssn" can be applied for my wife. i heard that the tax which would be paying will be less when i claim that 'am living here with my family. for that to happen , what is that i need to do from my side. do i need to apply for "tin" or "ssn"or "ittn"(not sure what is this)

Kindly help me out.

Regards,
    vydyam

The same amount of Social Security is deducted from your paycheck whether you are married or single. It is not the same as taxes where you get a choice on married or single status.

Here is what those initials mean:
    Employer Identification Number "EIN"
    Individual Taxpayer Identification Number "ITIN"
    Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions "ATIN"
    Preparer Taxpayer Identification Number "PTIN"

The following appears to apply to you:

SSN is your Social Security number. If you are claiming your spouse as a dependent on your income tax return, she needs a SSN (as do you, of course).

You generally must list on your individual income tax return the social security number (SSN) of any person for whom you claim an exemption. If your dependent or spouse does not have and is not eligible to get an SSN, you must list the ITIN instead of an SSN.

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a federal tax identification number, and is used to identify a business entity.

An ITIN is a tax processing number only available for certain nonresident and resident aliens, their spouses, and dependents who cannot get a Social Security Number (SSN). It is a 9-digit number, beginning with the number "9", formatted like an SSN (NNN-NN-NNNN).

Does this help?

Your employer should be assisting you in filling out the various forms.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 11:11 AM

Your spouse is H-4 holder, so she is not qualified to obtain SSN. However, she is qualified for ITIN which can be obtained only for tax purpose, it must be submitted together when you file your tax return.
    Read here: Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intertherm Electric Furnace Blower works in "on" not in "auto" [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Intertherm Electric Furnace E2EB-015AH. I came home from work last night, turned the heat on and it didn't work as advertised. I could hear the relays clicking occasionally so I investigated a little and found the elements are heating up and cycling, the relay inside the thermostat cycles...

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

View more questions Search