Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 3, 2009, 07:14 AM
    Alcohol is but a symptom of a greater problem that has to be dealt with. As is any addiction.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 3, 2009, 11:10 AM
    Something that might make this a little easier to understand shatryia.

We had a family friend, female, for over 25 years. A teacher, and a great friend to my sister. They went to school together, shared major occasions such as weddings and births of their children, etc. There was little they didn't know about each other.

Until one day, out of the blue, my sister received a call that this friend had been admitted to hospital. Reason? Alcohol poisoning.

To a shocked group of very concerned friends and family, it was disclosed that she had been an alcoholic all of her adult life.

Nobody knew.
    ja77 Posts: 250, Reputation: 36

Jan 4, 2009, 09:18 AM

To me alcoholic addiction is when someone can not wake in the morning without a drink, or sleep at night unless they have a drink.

I guess I'm saying - it is when a person can not function without adding Alcohol.
    giovanna shield Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2009, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt hardkore View Post
    to me a alcoholic is just someone to drinks more than the average person.
    One of the first signs of alcoholism is when your life has become unmanageable
    It is most difficult to admit one has the disease
    susananne Posts: 94, Reputation: 6

Jan 13, 2009, 09:08 AM

Whenever drinking has influenced your life in a negative way.. time and time again... you have an issue with drinking... you can abuse alcohol.. and not be an alcoholic. When you know it is having a negative effect... and continue on the downslide.. then you have a problem with alcohol.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 06:52 PM
    I asked this question to an aa member with 20 years recovery and he said he had no right to say who was an alcoholic. I was questioning my own situation and I have not had a drink in a year, and he said it was his opinion that If I could go a year without a drink I was probably not an alcoholic. My Al-anon sponsor suggested that I get a pamphlet from aa called 44 questions that might help me decide if I had a problem.
    Jentau Posts: 57, Reputation: 8

Apr 9, 2009, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I don't know what "you'll be sober even after getting drunk" means - ?
    I think it just means you don't act like a retard :)
    Emotional Health Expert

Apr 9, 2009, 10:42 AM
    What's the importance of the definition anyway.

If you drinking causes problems, then learn how to control yourself, or stop drinking alcohol.

If you ask the opinions of close friends and they say you pee yourself, take risk taking behaviour, are obnoxious and can't talk properly, then I'd say you have a problem.

Another good indicator is getting fired, losing your wife/husband, having the cops at your door, ending up in the hospital emergency with alcohol poisoning, or waking up somewhere other than your own bed and not knowing how you got there.

If it makes you sick, you cannot carry on normal activities without a raging headache, nobody will talk to you, your wallet is empty, and your car is wrapped around a tree, then you probably have a problem.

I just hope that between thinking you have a problem, and realizing you have a problem, that you don't kill people in the meantime while driving.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2009, 11:41 AM

You left out rolling over in the AM and wondering who that person in bed with you is.
    Emotional Health Expert

Apr 9, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Yeah, I realized that I forgot that, and also forgot kicking the dog, slapping the mother in law, throwing the dentures over the bridge, and cussin' out the next door neighbour kids for throwing pink elephants over the fence. :p

I could go on and on, I'm on a roll here lol
    lilbay Posts: 64, Reputation: 11

Apr 12, 2009, 10:38 AM
    An alcoholic to me is someone who allows their drinking to control them and allows it to cause them problems in life.
    A person who drinks and ends up to the point they lose their job license or family. A person who is spending way too much either on drinking itself or the things they do when drinking A person who is ashamed of what they are doing when drinking or is ashamed about how often they are doing it to the point they start hiding it. These are all signs of alcoholism to me.
    If you come home from work and have a glass of wine or a beer each day and life is not effected than you are not a alcoholic.
    If you go on vacation and get drunk three days in a row than gets back on track when Vacation is over and they get back to work and only drinks socially now and then that to me is Not a alcoholic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get rid of my alcoholic roommate? [ 3 Answers ]

I have lived with my roommate for three years, none of them happy. She is on the lease and pays her rent on time. She is an alcoholic who for the time being is trying to stop drinking. The first two years she was drunk, the last year she has been on the couch in front of the TV in our living room....

Recovering Alcoholic [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend recently discovered he had a drinking problem and by trying to avoid losing me stopped drinking completely. He hasn't had a drop of alcohol in over 2 months, and he refuses to go to AA. I have noticed him depressed and we no longer sleep together. All his friends are alcoholics...

My boyriend is becoming a serious alcoholic [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have been with my boyfriend for 2 and half years- on and off. And the reason for each break up is he's great for 4-6 months and all of a sudden wants to go out drinking to the bars, hang out at colleges with his friends and drink all the time. There was nights when he never called me...

Alcoholic boyfriend [ 3 Answers ]

How can I help my alcoholic boyfriend?He knows he has a drink problem and says he will change and get help but hasn't as of yet.After reading some of others peoples questions I've realised I am an enabler which I will now stop.He has in the past become slightly violent and he's always aggressive...

Alcoholic [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend has a drinking problem, we have been involved for almost 9 months in the beginning of this year... he quit alcohol for 2 months becoz he wanted to ask me out... I then agreed to go out with him... about 2 months into our relationship he started drinking again but not heavy... about a...

View more questions Search