Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2008, 07:09 PM
    What was your take on the 1st debate?
    I watched the debate today and I found it odd the McCain couldn't face Obama. He seem he like he was more focus on making slick remarks but I still found the whole debate interested and is waiting for the next one to see how it plays out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 26, 2008, 08:38 PM

Yes, to me it appears that no matter what happens, the American people are going to be the loser one way or the other
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2008, 03:37 AM
    McCain was speaking to the audience that's why he did not look at Obama. Both candidates need to be coached in controlling their facial expressions.

I liked to format of the debate and the liberal free and open exchange of most of the debate.

I thought McCain showed his expertise in foreign experience and Obama failed to do what he was attempting which was to link McCain to the Bush Administration.Obama sounded like a law professor, very well versed in book knowledge, and McCain sounded like a President. Obama talked over and over about ideas and thoughts and proposals. McCain talked about what he had done, legislation he passed, and leadership actions he had done.

Here is the key ;look at the transcript or listen to it again and see how often McCain was able to point out Obama's inexperience and how often Obama said the he agrees with McCain or says McCain was right .(I've got a bracelet too......he actually had to check & see what the name was.) Every topic in foreign policy McCain was able to say he had been there and met with a foreign leader. Obama's trying to use Kissinger against McCain was deflected nicely and reinforced McCain's point. Kissinger has responded to Obama.
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalra...heck-kiss.html

McCain did a good job mentioning that Obama never convened the sub-committee that he supposedly led.

I thought the first part about the financial crisis Jim Lehrer won. Both candidates deflected the basic point the Lehrer was trying to make that neither know how the crisis will affect their future plans but both candidates will most likely have to scale back their tax cut ideas and Obama at least will be restrained in introducing his ambitious ideas about expanding the government . This solution being contemplated expands government to a degree no rational freedom loving person contemplates.

I wish there was time to discuss issues in the Western Hemisphere .That may be the biggest foreign policy challenge of the next administration.
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2008, 03:51 AM
    McCain was looking at the audience .

I liked the free and open exchanges of most of the debate but there was nothing revealing .Both candidates relied heavily on their standard stump speech.

The first part Jim Lehrer won because by their dodging it was clear that neither know or have contemplated how the financial crisis will change the premise of their policies. But in fact neither will be able to do the tax cuts they are promising and Obama will not be able to expand the government the way he proposes. The plan being contemplated is more expansive than any freedom loving rational person contemplates.

McCain won the foreign polcy part of the debate. He did what he wanted to do ;demonstrate his experience and cast Obama as too inexperienced for the job. Obama's attempts to link McCain to the Bush administration failed. Look at a tape or read the transcript and see how often McCain was able to make his point about Obama and being able to say that he had been there ,or had met with the foreign leader . Check out how often Obama had to admit he agreed with McCain when McCain made a point.

That being said ;foreign policy is McCain's strength and he was supposed to do better . Obama did well enough.

Edit this is a retype because I thought the original response was lost .If an administrator reads this please delete.. thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I thought McCain showed his expertise in foreign experience
    Yeah, he's sooooo good at pronouncing those foreign names. And his stuck in the cold war time too.

Obama failed to do what he was attempting which was to link McCain to the Bush Administration.
    Ooooh, too bad you missed all of Obama's frequent links of McCain to Bush.

Obama sounded like a law professor, very well versed in book knowledge, and McCain sounded like a President.
    Actually, no. Obama managed to NOT sound like a law professor finally. And McCain sounded like a muddled, somewhat cranky, old geezer.

Obama talked over and over about ideas and thoughts and proposals. McCain talked about what he had done, legislation he passed, and leadership actions he had done.
    I can't believe you said this! Yes! Note the difference. Do we want our president to brag on and on about his past or to move us into the future??

see how often McCain was able to point out Obama's inexperience and how often Obama said the he agrees with McCain or says McCain was right
    Oh, yes. Of course, you must realize that was strategic (not tactical). Plus, now all you white guys won't be able to pin "angry black man" on Obama.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    McCain demonstrated his experience and cast Obama as too inexperienced for the job.
    McCain's experience: This leads to one huge question: "Can you explain picking Sarah Palin and putting her one heartbeat away from becoming president?"
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Sep 27, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    McCain's experience: This leads to one huge question: "Can you explain picking Sarah Palin and putting her one heartbeat away from becoming president?"
    All of you chanting change need to be consistent. McCain chooses an outsider governor who has challenged her own party in the past. That is change.

Obama has picked a long time insider, and not a very impressive one at that. That is not change.

BTW, maybe someone can tell me what the difference is between a neighborhood organizer and a party hack.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1 View Post
    All of you chanting change need to be consistent. McCain chooses an outsider governor who has challenged her own party in the past. That is change.
    I cannot wait, I absolutely cannot wait, until the next debate!

You seriously need to bring yourself up to date on Palin's comings and goings.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Wait! Wait! Wait! "Change" is the Dem motto, not the GOP's.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2008, 06:30 PM

I had a hard time evalulating the debate because each debater had opposite debating styles.

McCain was about technique, not substance... and appealing to his base and white people all the while giving short, slogan like answers from campaign speeches that appeal to people who are less educated. His talk was more geared to twentieth century type knee-jerk thinking and not twenty first century problem solving which may create anxiety in some areas of the populace.

Obama was more cool and professorial... he was handicapped because being black, he cannot appear to be angry or too challenging to an old white man -specially a hero, or he will risk a backlash from some white voters. That calm cool manner is part of his strategy not to offput shakey whites.

McCain had a strategy of not looking at Obama; just looking ahead and doing his talking points. That may have backfired a little on him as he came across mean and rude.

All in all, McCain was a candidate for the past ----Obama for the future. However, despite the financial disaster we face, some voters want the comfort of outmoded ideas, simple ideas instead of the risk of *change*... which is what Obama is about.

I thought McCain won the debate from sheer forcefullness but not much content. I imagine that was his intent.

Today, some of the pundits saw it as a draw or a slight Obama win.

I think if Obama were a white man, he would be leading McCain by 15 points and have a landslide in the NOvember election. Such is how virulent American racism is.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2008, 06:45 PM

My spell check doesn't work... is that from the recent upgrade and a glitch?
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Sep 27, 2008, 07:04 PM

After a week of McCain fiasco's, not knowing if he'd show up are not, I thought the debate was great. I would had liked for McCain to had been mature enough to address Obama, facing him, like Jim Lehrer requested. Had I been his campaign handler I certainly would had coached McCain to confront his opponent, not look like a child pouting. It was good to see Obama confident by facing McCain on several occasions. Barack even tried to get his attention saying "John" several times. But anyway, I did like the dynamics of each presenting some of their traditional party positions. Afterwards I was really surprised to hear Republicans on the FOX network saying Obama did a good job and then the Dems on MSNBC say they thought McCain did a good job. Weird! It was like watching an episode of the Twilight Zone. Now not to put a lot of stock into poll analysis, especially when it comes to debates, however, most polls that I've came across show that the public thinks Obama won the debate by a fairly large margin, or narrowly. That's not good for the McCain camp since foreign and military affairs was supposed to his strong subject.

Poll results for first presidential debate (with update of independent voter poll): Obama wins

By George Harris, Kansas City Star Readers Advisory Panel 2008

Who won the debate?

"Ignore all commentators' opinions expressed without evidence. The winner is determined by the numbers, especially the votes of the undecided. Here are some preliminary answers:

CBS Insta Poll shows Barack Obama won 39% to John McCain's 25% with 36% saying the debate was a draw.

Insider Advantage reports of those polled Obama won 42% to McCain's 41% with Undecided 17%

CNN reports voter opinions that Obama "did better" 51%, McCain "did better" 38%

The CNN poll showed men were evenly split, but women gave Obama higher marks 59% to 41% for McCain.

The CNN pollster noted a slight Democratic bias in the survey. Well, there just are more Democrats in the country. So more Democrats watched. However, this may also suggest Democratic enthusiasm which will help turn out the vote.

The MSNBC on-line (non-scientific) poll showed Obama winning the debate 52% to 33%. (But this is what one would expect from such a poll at MSNBC because of the nature of its viewers.)

MediaCurves.com reported Independents favored Obama overall 61% to 38%. (I do not know this organization or know how it conducts polls, so take results with a couple of grains of salt.)

Some free analysis: As I noted on this site during and after the debate, McCain appeared angry and dismissive of Obama and generally impressed as someone who would slap colleagues across the aisle if reaching over to them. He said several times in the debate that he hasn't won the Miss Congeniality contest in the Senate, and he proved why during the debate.

I suspect that women voters especially would be turned off by McCain's sarcastic tone because women do tend to be the conciliators in our society and saw Obama display those conciliatory qualities very well in the debate. Obama looked at McCain, and McCain wouldn't return the eye contact but rather glared or displayed a tight and angry expression.

I also suspect (but don't have the data to support) that older voters were also turned off by Senator McNasty. I believe older voters will also be reassured that, though McCain has been around longer, Obama has a good grasp of foreign affairs and can learn quickly. He impressed as a statesmen, in marked contrast to McCain's warrior demeanor.

McCain referred to Obama as naive or as not understanding on many issues when the listener probably saw a mere difference of opinion. McCain's condescension felt annoying; to the listener who might agree or disagree with Obama, Obama nevertheless was making good points, not naive ones.

In general, I think the country is tired of negativity, and McCain's performance didn't give anyone the impression that age has mellowed him. In fact, he seemed rather proud of his continuing bellicose manner. The country seems ready for a change from the "fighting as first choice crowd."

Watch for new polls over the next week. Things can shift for a variety of reasons as people reflect on the debate."
    Trandy Posts: 123, Reputation: 9

Sep 28, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I think Sarah Palin was an excellent choice. As an American, I want to be represented by an American.
    She is a "hockey mom" that worked her way up the ranks. She wanted to make a difference in her children's futures, and joined the pta. She didn't like the way things were going with her job, so she decided to fight corruption through politics. The only way to do this was to become a politician.
    Granted, her experience is limited, but given her short record of reform, I look forward to 12 years of Palin. Americans need change. We don't need experience!! One thing I value is her experience as an American, and her ability to change the direction our politicians have been taking us.
    McCain has a proven record of reform... he needed someone with his goals in mind. Palin was the only politician he could choose along those lines. She is as close to Joe Blow off the streets as he could come. Joe Untouched and Unswayed by Corporate Corruption Blow is what this country needs!!
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Sep 28, 2008, 01:25 PM

Hussein lied when he said Kissinger approved his idea of sitting down with people like the madman from Iran. Kissinger said he was not consulted. It could not have been a mistake, it was a lie to sway voters' opinion.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Hussein lied when he said Kissinger approved his idea of sitting down with people like the madman from Iran. Kissinger said he was not consulted. It could not have been a mistake, it was a lie to sway voters' opinion.
    Kissinger had said that; it's documented. He backpedaled later in an attempt to defend his buddy McCain.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Trandy View Post
    I think Sarah Palin was an excellent choice. As an American, I want to be represented by an American.
    She is a "hockey mom" that worked her way up the ranks. She wanted to make a difference in her children's futures, and joined the pta. She didn't like the way things were going with her job, so she decided to fight corruption through politics. The only way to do this was to become a politician.
    Granted, her experience is limited, but given her short record of reform, I look forward to 12 years of Palin. Americans need change. We don't need experience!!! One thing I value is her experience as an American, and her ability to change the direction our politicians have been taking us.
    McCain has a proven record of reform...he needed someone with his goals in mind. Palin was the only politician he could choose along those lines. She is as close to Joe Blow off of the streets as he could come. Joe Untouched and Unswayed by Corporate Corruption Blow is what this country needs!!!!!
    Please bring yourself up to date on Palin. Even the GOP is trying to figure out what to do with her.
    Trandy Posts: 123, Reputation: 9

Sep 28, 2008, 02:38 PM
    GOP's Palin Could Be Savior of Stock Market (Ahead of the Curve) at SmartMoney.com
    GOP cites Palin's skill, but how relevant is it? - Yahoo! News
    GOP foreign policy experts cool on Palin - David Paul Kuhn - Politico.com

O.k... maybe you should enlighten me!
    Politicians as a whole don't care for Palin... because Palin doesn't care for corruption!
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2008, 09:15 AM

Trandy How about the fact that she was at a cheesesteak stand in Philly on Saturday Tony Luke's (on a side note I live in philly and if you are ever in Philly DO NOT go to Tony Luke's They are dirty) And A college Student asked her her thoughts on Pakistan and Her answer was exactly the same as OBAMA's position on it. Then the Next Day McCain had to make a statement saying that is not what she meant. You can't retract a decision if they are in office like a statement.

Katie Couric asked her to name some of McCain's Accomplishments and she said "i'll have to get back to you on that." How can you be someone's running mate and not know anything they have accomplished.

Yes she is the typical small town American and she connects with a lot of people because they feel she is just like them but truth be told that does not make her a good VP candidate.
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2008, 09:56 AM
    So Palin made a statement to a person at a cheesesteak restaurant that she would chase terrorist into Pakisan if necessary and that is equated to Obama's policy of attacking Pakistan ?
    The real question spit is why is Obama supporting preemption ? Isn't that the policy that Obama condemns ? OBama =Bush!!

From a policy stand point ;and McCain made it clear in the debate ,you don't tell in advance what policy decisions you will make . Would Obama announce to the world in advance that he is going to invade a nuclear powered friend ? It apears that he has.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2008, 10:03 AM

Palin made a statement to America since reports were standing right there not some guy at a cheese steak stand. And she agree's with Obama. Or she has no Idea what she is talking about and said the first thing that came into her head. Everyday it is clearer and clearer why she is not allowed to speak to ANYONE!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Philosophy Debate [ 10 Answers ]

Hey all, I am currently taking a philosophy course and we have been assigned a debate assignment that is in regards to the morality of stem cell research. My group was given the task of being opposed to stem cell research. If anyone can give me any idea why people may be opposed to stem cell...

The latest debate [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone else find it curious that the Dems would hold their latest debate at Howard University, a historically black college, and whine about the Supreme Court's segregation decision? And what do you make of this remark by Biden on the "inequities" between blacks and whites? When...

Tax debate,NY or PA [ 1 Answers ]

What would be the better of two. I work in Salamanca,NY. Right now I live in NJ. I am moving out of NJ. Which would be better tax wise, to live in Bradford,PA or Salamanca area, NY? If my income is approx. 1K what would be the savings?

View more questions Search