Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    disappointed 1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 05:05 PM
    My 2 yr old grandson
    Hi I am in need of some advice.
    I have a 2 yr old grandson who is very adorable, loved, and very fortunate that he has me and my husband.
    Let me start by sharing that as of April of this yr my grandson has not seen his mother. My son has been providing and being attentive to his needs but right now his fiancée just gave birth to a little girl and he just got laid off. My grandson has been living since April with us and his father comes every day to see him. The reason my grandson is not living with my son is because he lives in a studio and he says that he does not want his child sleeping in uncomfortable means and facing hardships. Here in my house he has his bed, toys, and most important lots of love and affection. I don't want to go and get custody of him. But my son insists. We pay for his child care, and his medical needs. His mother termed his health insurance and now I am force to pay out of pocket. Can some one share some advice.
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Sep 27, 2008, 06:35 AM

Maybe you need to go to court and get custody. The custody terms for you may not be the same as it was for him.
    For one thing you could could get the child on your insurance. If you don't have insurance you may be able to get a medicaid card for him.
    If you and your son ever agree on the son getting his child back, you could go to court and give the child back. In the mean time if you have custody you may find a lot of help out there for this child that you are unable to receive now.
    I agree with you that this child is very lucky to have such great grandparents.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 06:46 AM
    Is the fiancée, your grandsons mother, as you are unclear? I am all for helping with the grandchildren, do it myself, but the parents need to be doing there part.

If you get custody, you make sure there is a child support order, because its ridicules to be raising your sons child, while he is still making more babies.
    iDish Posts: 46, Reputation: 7

Sep 27, 2008, 07:41 AM

Sorry to disappoint you more ma'am but not every child can live in a big house with a white picket fence and a Family dog. I honestly don't think it's legal to get custody for the reasons you are stating. You're children are facing hardships and that is forcing your grandson to suffer. In order to help, you may have to give up some money in order for it not to get too bad. But if you son transfers your grandson over to you for the sake of insurance then that is known as fraud. It is a federal crime and punishable by jail time. If something like that were legal, EVERYBODY would do it. They'd just find someone with insurance and just hand their children over to them until they got their lives back on track. And then transfer their children back. That's not how the law works. If you want to help, all you can do is watch your grandson while his parents try to get things in order. I know it sounds rough but there is no (legal) way out of paying out of your own pocket on this one.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 07:44 AM

I am sorry, no room in studio, sorry bull, he does not want to have to be a full time parent, why does he not move if he needs more space,

I know you want to defend your son, but while he is doing a little more than mother who is not even seeing the child, if he was really wanting to be a father he would. And it appears he is not living with the women who just had another child by him, and he is not living with them or raising that child either.

So anyway, you do what you want to do.
    iDish Posts: 46, Reputation: 7

Sep 27, 2008, 08:01 AM
    Deleted
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2008, 09:05 AM

When I first at my daughter, me, her, and the dad, lived a studio. There's wasn't any room but we made it work until we could afford something bigger and as soon as we could we moved. Sometimes you have to work with what you got.

It great that your step up and took your grandson in but it takes money to raise a child. Regardless, if your son stops by and see him everyday you shouldn't have to pay for everything. There was times we I had jobs I didn't like but I did them because I had a child to support so I did what I had too. Luckily I've a great job now. You should held both parents reliable and I wished you could collect child support from the both of them.

Why don't the mother has custody of the son? I guess she is unfit and being an absent parent. I still think what your doing is great.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2008, 10:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by disappointed 1 View Post
    hi i am in need of some advice.
    I have a 2 yr old grandson who is very adorable, loved, and very fortunate that he has me and my husband.
    Let me start by sharing that as of april of this yr my grandson has not seen his mother. My son has been providing and being attentive to his needs but right now his fiancee just gave birth to a lil girl and he just got laid off. My grandson has been living since april with us and his father comes every day to see him. The reason my grandson is not living with my son is because he lives in a studio and he says that he does not want his child sleeping in uncomfortable means and facing hardships. Here in my house he has his bed, toys, and most important lots of love and affection. I don't want to go and get custody of him. But my son insists. We pay for his child care, and his medical needs. His mother termed his health insurance and now i am force to pay out of pocket. Can some one share some advice.

What State? It is possible as a grandparent to get custody in some States much more easily than others.

If your son has little interest in caring for your grandson, then it would appear that you have to make sure his legal custody is very clear - and just that. Legal.

What is the mother's position in all of this?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adoption of grandson [ 1 Answers ]

My son passed away and has a 2 1/2 year old son. The parents were never married to each other but lived together. The mother recently married and the new husband wants to adopt our grandson. She has asked for the death certificate. What do I need to know and where do I stand. A loving grandparent

1 child 1 grandson [ 1 Answers ]

My son and his grilfriend will not let me see my grandson she is using that baby on the family and so is he I am bipolar raised my son on my own we were so thight this gril calls me a frick and ever thing else my son lets this go on she is killing my sons health he looks so bad she sits at home and...

Need 504 plan for grandson [ 23 Answers ]

I have several concerns and questions for those who are familiar with procedures in the TIER I, TIER II, and TIER III model. My grandson who now 9, was diagnosed at Medical Center with ADHD, ODD when he was 6. He was assessed as low to average in IQ. I believe he also has dyslexia but he is in...

Custody of my grandson [ 6 Answers ]

How do I go about fighting children and youth for custody of my 1 month old grandson whom they placed in foster care? I have contacted an attorney, but they are slow responding. Do I need to become a foster parent first?

My Grandson [ 7 Answers ]

My precious little grandson does the weirdest thing once in a while. To explain a little when he was born he was breech, he never crawled, he sat straight up and hopped. He had months of therepy and started walking very late. At about age two he started with these little twitches, his legs go...

View more questions Search