Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monkjonk93 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Computer automatically restarts randomly.
    Computer specs

Compaq Presario
    Xp
    SP3
    AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor
    Nvidia GeForce graphic card.
    Speedfan temps are:
    Temp 1 : 86 F
    Temp 2 : 98 F
    HD0 : 97 F
    Temp 2 : 127 F
    Runninng 2 AVC stock Fans
    6 years old
    512mb ram
    140gb hd

running these anti spyware-malware-virus detection units
    ZoneAlarm
    Avira Free
    AVG Free Edition
    Malwarebytes
    Ad-Aware

This is the message I will get sometimes after the computer restarts...
    *** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x837AD52F, 0x000000002, 0x00000000, 0x804DC25D)

I have used around 80 % of my hd

Computer also runs slower than 2 years ago... I have wiped my hard drive once a long time ago... but never after that.

If you would like a HJT log, ask, I will post it.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2008, 01:25 PM

"6 years old"

I'll qualify my statement by first admitting I know absolutely nothing about hardware.

I was having trouble similar to yours and brought my CPU in for our resident geek to diagnose. He opened it up to have a look see and it was filled with dust - to the point it was overheating the insides and forcing a shut down. It hadn't been serviced in over 3 years - so when I saw the age of yours I thought this might help.

Sep 26, 2008, 01:27 PM

Yeah I kind of figured someone might say that, but ii clean out the inside of it every 2-3 months, there usually is a small amount of dust, but not enough to fry the computer. But I don't have canned air so I can't blow out the heat sink...
    mechanickid Posts: 248, Reputation: 5

Sep 26, 2008, 06:02 PM

Well get some canned air and clean that heat sink, that's the most important part of cleaning that dust out of there, however, have you done any recent updating? Or prior to this starting? Do you report the error to windows when it comes back up? If you do it should go to a web page stating the general area that the error comes from,,

Let me know

Sep 27, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Yes, I have updated some softwares including windows service pack from 2 to three.. I also have updated my graphic card. I will go and get some canned air also today... but can anyone tell me if my temps are at the right spots or are they too high??

Sep 27, 2008, 07:30 AM

Is it a Desktop or Laptop? Also I need to know more about your processor to say if its over spec, 80 or 90 is about right though,

I would say your problem is orignating from one of those recently updated drivers. Check your Device Manager, and tell me if there is any yellow triangles on any devices, if there is those need to be fixed first.

To get to your Device manager;
    Right click on My Computer
    Properties
    Hardware tab
    and its the top box there click Device Manager

Just a sugestion, get rid of AVG anti virus, A better free one is AVAST

Sep 27, 2008, 07:43 PM

Very sorry for not posting whether it's a desktop or a laptop. It is a desktop. mechanickid, I'm not sure what you mean by "i need to know more about your processor to say if its over spec, 80 or 90 is about right though,"
    I am running an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ processor, if that helps...

Sep 27, 2008, 07:47 PM

Also, I was looking through the device manager and found one suspicious thing. Here is the device.

Its under Non-Plug and Play Drivers
    Its called mrtRate. It is a diamond shaped icon with a small round yellow circle with an exclamation mark in it... Also, does avast do a better job than AVG Free Edition??

Sep 27, 2008, 09:49 PM

Everything does a better job than avg,

But yes that is a problem, Do you have Quicken financial software? I have herd of this actually causing a rebot problem for others.

Try disabling it and see if that doesn't fix the problem, from what I know, mrtrate is not a core file and xp is fine without it, but I'm not positive on that, JB on here would probably know, we will see if he pops in
    To disable it, just go back to it in the device manager and right click, then go to disable :)

As for your processor, there are some numbers imprinted on the chip which determine a number of hardware specs but the xp 3200's have a max temp of about 150f so your OK on that,
    xbugsy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2008, 10:46 PM
    You receive a Stop error message with the following format

Stop: 0x0000000A (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    *** Address x has base at x - filename
    In this Stop error message, each parameter is a hexadecimal number that refers to a specific issue: • Parameter 1 - An address that was referenced incorrectly.
    • Parameter 2 - An IRQL that was required to access the memory.
    • Parameter 3 - The type of access, where 0 is a read operation and 1 is a write operation.
    • Parameter 4 - The address of the instruction that referenced memory in parameter 1.

Troubleshoot third-party software and hardware
    Method 1: Examine recently added third-party software
    If you have installed any third-party software, try to remove or disable it so that it does not load. Then, restart the computer to see whether that software or driver is causing the error. • If there is more than one piece of third-party software, remove or disable each one at a time, and then restart your computer after you remove or disable each to try to isolate which third-party software is causing the error.
    • If removing the third-party software resolves the Stop error message, then there was an issue with the software that was causing the error. Report this issue to the vendor to try to resolve the issue.
    • If removing the third-party software did not resolve the Stop error message, then the software is not the problem. Go to the "Method 2: Examine recently added third-party hardware" section.

Method 2: Examine recently added third-party hardware
    If you added any hardware devices or drivers after Windows was installed, remove the recently added hardware, and then restart your computer to see whether the hardware is causing the error. • If there is more than one piece of recently added hardware, remove each device or driver one at a time and then restart your computer after you remove each to try to isolate which hardware is causing the error.
    • If removing the recently added hardware resolves the Stop error message, then use one or more of the following methods to try to resolve the issue: a. Obtain updated drivers for devices if they are available.
    b. Contact the vendor of the device or driver to see whether there are any known issues with the hardware.
    c. Run diagnostics to make sure that the hardware is working correctly.
    If this method resolves the Stop error message, you are finished.
    • If removing the recently added device did not resolve the Stop error message, try to restore Windows with System Restore. To do this, go to the "Restore Windows" section.

Sep 28, 2008, 02:53 PM

I actually do have a Quicken Financial product, but it has been installed way before this problem ever shows up... Could it be that it is happening because of that?
    Thanks for letting me know the max temp my processor can go. Ive been trying to find that out for a long time...
    Ok well I did disable mrtRate.
    So far I have not seen and rebooting issues yet. Only time will tell...
    If it happens again, I will let you know Brian. Should I get rid of AVG and install AVAST?

Sep 28, 2008, 08:16 PM

I would Avast is free, and AVG lags down your system, I started using avast a long time ago because they were the first company to support x64, been using it ever since, I have never had a problem, its really good, and it doesn't hog up your resources,, I've had so many friends get virus' even with AVG...

Sep 28, 2008, 08:19 PM
    Ps. You never want to see your processor up that high even though that is the max, that's really bad for your system
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 29, 2008, 08:28 AM

MrtRate problem is related to the update mechanism in Quicken. If you don't USE Quicken, uninstall it completely and your problem will be solved.

=============

I always try to preface "experiential recommendations" as such, mehanickid, OK? So, Avast is your preferred product. Noted.

Experientially, AVG is an awesome product and I recommend it highly to all my users seeking free Anti-Virus. But I do that in conjunction with a complete self-defense regimen:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/spywar...ne-233420.html

And also, a review of the STARTUP processes and removing all unnecessary applets (QuickTime, RealPlayer, Adobe applets... and more) usually peps a system up nicely.

Further, the most common "slow factor" is insufficient memory. 512 mb is my "minimum" for turning the system on... if you are an active program user (a lot going on at once)... you need to bump that up to 1gig minimum for XP SP3.

Lastly, once the memory is truly sufficient, we disable Windows self-adjustment of the Swap Space and "brick" it at a size 2.5 times the size of the memory. It's bad enough having to sit there while windows moves info in and out of the swap space... it's another to wait FOREVER while it randomly resizes it, too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My computer restarts randomly and gives me an error message. [ 2 Answers ]

I am running a Compaq Presario, 160 gb hd, 512mb of ram and is about 6 years old. I am running Windows XP Home Edition. I have about 107 gb used space. I think I am running SP2 At random times, the computer will restart without notice. After it reboots an error message states " The system has...

During working on computer after 15 minutes system restarts automaticall? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Buddies I have a query to be sorted out. During working on computer after 15 to 20 minutes sometimes blue screen appears describe Windows OE error and detail description and sometimes during working on any application like MS word or surfing on the net computer automatically restarts. I...

Computer restarts on startup [ 2 Answers ]

Omg this is really annoying... today I did a sypware scan and it said it had to restart so I reatsrted it... but when it starts up.. it gets to the blue screen that says "windows is starting up" the mouse cursor pops up and then... it restarts again? This keeps on happening everythime I try to...

Computer restarts by itself and does not open deskstop [ 5 Answers ]

I have a desktop computer and have Windows XP professional. When I start my computer it starts OK and as soon as it goes to window opening page and it seems like it is processing but after a while it reboots again, without getting the Desktop window. It happens again and again. I do not know,...

Computer randomly stutting down [ 8 Answers ]

It really drives me mad but every time I am using my computer for more than 3 hours it suddenly shuts off. Does anyone know what's could be causing this and how can I solve. Also my memory is supposed to be 128 but I can only get 127 and some times 126 mb

View more questions Search