Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsohare Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Hipaa law
    I work at a company that stores medical records for a large hospital. They owe payment us for several months of service. Can I discontinue servicing their account until I get payment without breaking any hipaa laws ? Please advise.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2008, 11:02 AM

Why would that violate HIPAA laws? If you just threw out the records in the trash so anyone can find them, that might be a violation, but to simply refuse to accept anymore records until paid wouldn't be a violation.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jsohare View Post
    i work at a company that stores medical records for a large hospital. they owe payment us for several months of service. can i discontinue servicing their account until i get payment without breaking any hipaa laws ? please advise.

I don't think I understand what you are asking concerning a HIPAA violation.

When you say you will discontinue servicing their account, what do you plan to do with the medical records they send you?

Or are you going to stop accepting the records?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 26, 2008, 01:25 PM

Since the records would belong to the hospital, you could require they pick them up or be charged with their storage

If you have a contract for service you can sue for the payment of the contract or also just sue for money owed.

You could refuse future shipments of records or refuse to do any additional work beyound storage of the records.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is This phi in HIPAA? [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed that my name and address is on my prescription bottles isn't this PHI?

HIPAA in the workplace [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I read through all the archives but I still have a specific question that I need answered. I work for a medical billing department. We are in cubicals and the woman next to me has had a serious condition in the past that she has openly discussed with other people. She has recently had a...

Hipaa law [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 part question regarding Hipaa law. First, let me give you the necessary background information. My husband and I are separated (not legally) and we reside in California. We are both in law enforcement, my husband being a supervisor and me being line staff. My husband is in charge of...

Hipaa law [ 11 Answers ]

Can a pharmacy give out info on you to law inforcement without you being notified?

View more questions Search