Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Your Starting Weight & Goal Weight
    There have been lots of threads related to weight loss. Some members have realistic goals for slimming down, some people aspire to shed those extra pounds at hurricane speeds, and some are interested in weight maintenance and overall health. This post is dedicated to all of you.

What is your starting weight?

What is your goal weight?

What are you doing to lose weight?

Why do you want to shed those extra pounds?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2008, 10:39 AM

Hi Linnea,
    My weight is "low" if you look at the height-weight tables. But for me, it's fat.

Starting weight: 120 lbs
    Goal weight: 110 lbs

Losing weight is simple, I just take a walk instead of eating 1/2 gallon of ice cream.

Why? I'll have more choices when looking into my closet for clothes, my feet will quit hurting, thighs quit touching and belly will quit jiggling.
    DMA Posts: 114, Reputation: 8

Sep 28, 2008, 03:22 AM

Starting weight: 82KG (180 lbs)
    Goal weight: 70KG (155 lbs)

I am cycling and trying to eat more healthily to lose weight.

80KG is borderline overweight for my height. I'm about 77KG now but I still think I'm really fat and disgusting so have to keep going.
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2008, 05:16 AM

Well, I guess I'm here for weight maintenance. I've been debating whether to post my weight, but I'll put it up anyway.

Current weight: 112 lbs (51 kg)

I imagine going under 105 lbs (48 kg) would be too low, but I don't really want to go over 114 lbs (52 kg) either. Perhaps I should have included a height question, too. I'm just over 5'3'' and 29 years old.

When I moved to italy seven years ago I taught myself to cook, and in so doing, I also learned about the science of eating.

Here is what I do to keep healthy and maintain my weight:
    1. I cook 95% of our meals from scratch.
    2. I use the highest quality extra virgin olive oil I can find, and I use it for everything. Your body needs fat, so if you deny it fats, your mind tricks you into eating something high fat eventually. If you keep fat in your system, you feel satiated. Plus, olive oil is incredibly good for you. I try not to use butter at all if I can help it.
    3. I try to avoid anything that comes in a package or was made in a factory. I don't think it's humanly possible to digest any of the chemicals and preservatives that are saturating the market. Plus, now that I have spent so long eating whole foods, processed things actually look and taste disgusting to me.
    4. we fill up on tons of fruits, and we eat a lot of vegetables throughout the week. I get serious and regular spinach cravings.
    5. I walk a lot.

I absolutely do not believe in diets. I don't believe in the low fat craze or the low carb craze. I think low fat products make you fat, and I know that the great majority of tuscans around me are slim and healthy, and they eat pasta at least once a day. Many eat it twice. Breakfast here is usually a cappuccino and a pastry or a piece of chocolate cake. Chocolate is good for your brain. It sounds impossible, but it's true. I also eat as much as I want. If anyone is looking for a healthy way of eating, I can't recommend authentic tuscan cuisine enough. (p.s. the olive garden is not authentic tuscan, no matter what they tell you... ;))

Simone, I know what you mean because I tell myself the same things, but 120 is still a very healthy place to be. I think your description might be better suited to someone stepping down from clinical obesity, but that's okay... :)

Dma, 77 kg on an adult male is *not* "fat and disgusting." that said, I love biking. It's amazing how hard we can be on ourselves when no one else would judge us that way!

I like this thread. I hope it keeps growing!
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2008, 12:55 PM

I am "supposed" to weigh 135 lbs (61 KG.) All my adult life 107lbs (48 KG) or so has been normal and stable, no matter what I eat with the exception of sugar.

There was an incident with one shot of Depo-Provera 10 years ago. Within 90 days of taking the shot, I had gained 44 lbs (20 KG.) During that time I didn't eat or exercise any differently. The weight was all over but mainly on my stomach. Then, no matter what I did, the weight would not come off!

Pregnancy and a miscarriage reset things and the weight fell off, leaving me back at 48 KG. My stomach gains weight first now when before it did not.

So, weight gain was a hormonal thing. So was weight loss. If I stay away from sugary foods weight is not an issue. At the time of the Depo shot, I was working as a Diet Technician counselling people about diet and exercise. That was unsettling.

The Tuscan diet description reminded me of something. A friend of mine takes a cycling trip every year. One year he ate only fish, rice and vegetables. The next year he ate meat and potatoes. Then he tried a diet of Mexican food. Guess which eating pattern left him with the most energy and glowing good health? Mexican food.

I both felt and looked my best when I lived in Egypt. The sunny climate, daily walking and diet of "real" food probably had a lot to do with it.
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2008, 03:44 PM

Simone, you're trying to reach a goal 25 lbs under what you're "supposed" to weigh? I imagine you're the one that knows your body best, but be careful! All of us need a cushion.

I know exactly what you mean about birth control and weight gain. My first experience with the pill made me gain a significant amount of weight. More than anything else, my body wouldn't let me lose a single pound. I couldn't figure out what the problem was. My allergist made me stop taking the pill. As soon as I went off it, the weight came right off. The second time I used a hormonally based form of birth control, I started feeling extremely bloated and gained 15 pounds in 8 months. Before that, I had kept at a very stable weight for years. My eating habits hadn't changed a bit, so I knew what the problem was. As soon as I stopped using it, the weight fell off me. It took a few months, but I didn't change my eating habits. I know we can't be the only ones who have had this problem, but info regarding this seems to be limited. For now, I want nothing to do with hormonal birth control.

There is a lot to be said for ways of eating and living that withstand the test of time. When a whole culture is able to pass down words of wisdom, it's time to listen. I loved your stories. I'll bet egypt was an incredible experience. I certainly can't say enough about the benefits of sunshine... :)
    DMA Posts: 114, Reputation: 8

Oct 3, 2008, 08:02 AM

Hey I thought more people would have replied by now with their stories.

As for me I've now got a HUGE appetite as a side effect from anti depressents. Hopefully it will go away soon but at the moment I think I'm eating too much and I'm eating loads of bread. I should add more fruit but they taste bad to me (fruit in shops is tough and pretty, not chosen for taste).

I like quality food too. Anything out of a packet tastes pretty bad now. I'm mindful of how healthy it will be when I prepare food, but still I like to make things without compramise which can mean a bit too much cheese sometimes. The people who live the longest are in the south of france and they have full fat diets with pork, chicken and bottle of wine on the table. But they have heathly lifestyles too.
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    Hey I thought more people would have replied by now with their stories.

As for me I've now got a HUGE appetite as a side effect from anti depressents. Hopefully it will go away soon but at the moment I think I'm eating too much and I'm eating loads of bread. I should add more fruit but they taste bad to me (fruit in shops is tough and pretty, not chosen for taste).

I like quality food too. Anything out of a packet tastes pretty bad now. I'm mindful of how healthy it will be when I prepare food, but still I like to make things without compramise which can mean a bit too much cheese sometimes. The people who live the longest are in the south of france and they have full fat diets with pork, chicken and bottle of wine on the table. But they have heathly lifestyles too.
    So did I! There's no need to be shy! No one in this forum is here to judge. I like that we can support each other and talk about our experiences. Everyone has their own story to tell.

Dma, lots of medications have side effects. When it comes to anti-depressants, the most important thing by far is that your neurological chemistry falls into balance. Don't stress out at all about potential weight gain. When you're all better, your body will readjust itself.

My sister lived in Aix en Province in the south of France for a number of years when she was in college, and I have to agree that southern French cooking is also to die for. Her ex-boyfriend's mother prepared us feasts and feasts of full fat foods, and I cannot begin to explain how delicious everything was and healthy everyone looks there. It really is about making food chemistry work with your mind and your body, plus an open-air lifestyle. What could be better?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 3, 2008, 12:07 PM

I am not telling you my starting weight, there are certain things a women shouldn't have to disclose. ;)

My ideal weight, for my height, would be 130 pounds, actually, that would be on the very skinny side, I'm 5'11" tall.

I have a thyroid condition, so losing weight isn't easy. I envy those that can lose or maintain their weight simply by exercise.

I barely eat. I do exercise but I admit I could do more.

My major problem, empty calories. When I do eat I go for the junk, chocolate, cake, bread, beer.

I would love to be my ideal weight, but, heck, if I can't, I'm still happy with who I am. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Healthy weight? Or lose weight? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to raise my fitness level and loose wieght around my stomach, and upper legs. Although my family and friends say losing wieght would be dangerous, but I think there just saying that. Im so confused, I see myself as overweight and my family sees me as fine. I hate being so self...

Weight: amt of matter in object is weight. True or false [ 8 Answers ]

Is the answer false because that is mass

Goal: to gain weight! [ 3 Answers ]

I know people have asked this 100's of times, I've googled it 100's of times, but some things are not asked. So these are my questions. 1.) What's the difference between calories and fat calories? Which one adds to the amount of calories I need? 2.) a calorie calculator says I need to gain...

View more questions Search