Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ponch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Lawn crabgrass
    I live in ft. Mill, sc and my lawn is full of crabgrass. How do I eliminate this. Do I seed now or do I use emergents for the crabgrass.

>Moved from Forum Help<
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Sep 26, 2008, 09:58 AM

Crabgrass is an annual, so taking steps to prevent its setting seed or germinating seed will eliminate it. Set your wheels up as high as they go when you mow, this will prevent light reaching the ground that the seed needs to germinate, use a preemergent, and pull out the weed plants as soon as they grow the flowering seed tops before they get pollinated and set seed. The plant has a big top all attached to a small root that comes out pretty easily. Burn or put pulled weeds in trash, don't compost them.
    Patriarch Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Sep 26, 2008, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponch View Post
    I live in ft. Mill, sc and my lawn is full of crabgrass. How do i eliminate this. Do i seed now or do i use emergents for the crabgrass.

>Moved from Forum Help<
    Along with the previous advice you might consider just allowing the crabgrass to die as the weather turns cold. If you do allow it to die on its own keep it cut so that it does not produce more seed heads. This is important because at this time of the season crabgrass drops seeds for germination next spring. Once it dies you can leave it until next spring or pull it now. Apply the preemergent early next spring between march and April when the soil temperature reaches 55 degrees. After about 4 weeks, or whenever the label of the herbicide says, spread your compost, starter fertilizer and grass seed over the soil. Work the seed about one eighth of an inch just below the surface allowing half of it to remain visible. Roll over the seed with a lawn roller or stand on a plank over the seed. Water it gently and keep it moist on a daily bases. This may mean watering it twice daily. In about a week or week and a half your grass should begin to grow. Apply enough seed so that it will grow so thickly that it will prevent crabgrass from sprouting in the future. Yet do not apply so much that there is no room or not enough fertility in the soil to sustain all the grass blades. This would just be wasteful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does Roundup really kill crabgrass? [ 2 Answers ]

I have an area about 20 feet by 30 feet that is infested with crabgrass. It's about 99 percent crabgrass and 1 percent centipede grass. I was told that Roundup would kill the crabgrass. What I wanted to do is completely kill everything in this area and just resod it, hoping that new sod...

Crabgrass [ 1 Answers ]

We have a serious crabgrass problem this year. Is there anything we can do right now to kill it and prevent it from germanation next year?

Getting rid of Crabgrass and weeds [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have lots of crabgrass and weeds all over my lawn and backyard. I recently picked up a bag of Scott's Weed killer and applied to the entire area yesterday. I am a new homeowner and am wondering how I can get rid of these problems as they are unsightly to my lawn. Anyone recommend any...

Damn You Crabgrass! [ 7 Answers ]

How can I get rid of this grass once its started growing?

View more questions Search