Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marquis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 07:18 AM
    401K, Simple, Retirement
    This is the million dollar question... with the volitility of the market, should I cash in my 401K, simple or IRA and put the money under my mattress. (Not really there.. but you know what I mean.) I am concerned that I am going to lose so much of its value and then need the money and not be able to get it. We are currently living out of savings each month (because of a bad land investment purchase).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2008, 07:52 AM

Are you over 59 1/2? If not what age are you?
    Marquis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 07:53 AM
    Nowhere near... 45.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2008, 08:03 AM

Then you still have plenty of time to stick it out for the long term. The penalties for cashing out your 401K and IRA would be prohibitive, even if you could do, which you probably can't.
    SWY0104 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Oct 20, 2008, 01:15 PM

The quick answer, is NO! Just because you are concerned about volatility is NOT a reason to "cash in" your retirement accounts. It MIGHT be reason to move the investments inside the account to safer investment options, but it is impossible to advise specific investment options without knowing more about your personal situation.

An adviser in your area may be able to help you with deciding what to do within your accounts and you might feel better if you talk to one. You can talk to a CFP (find one at www.cfp-board.com), a CPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants), or a variety of other professionals. (there are also many good advisers without letters behind their name, too!)

This is a time when professional advice and guidance can be especially useful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Retirement not there [ 1 Answers ]

What rights do I have if your employer takes money from your paycheck that is suppose to go into your 401K but kept the money. They keep saying they are going to put it back but it has not been replaced. It has been 8 months

401k retirement [ 2 Answers ]

Company says I cannot withdrawal 401k until 59 1/2 who do I talk to to get retirement and not quite job

Any way to get out of a 401K before retirement? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a 55 year old married woman with a substantial investment in my 401K. I haven't contributed to my account in years because the performance of the funds that are available to me has been pitiful compared to my outside investments. My employer does not contribute to the plan but I like my job...

Retirement & 401K [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone tell me the steps I need to take to get my half of my ex-husbands retirement and 401K? I thought my lawyer would know how to get it but she says the company is supposed to send her the forms so she can word it right, but the company hasn't done so yet. What has to be done in step form...

What to do with 401k at retirement [ 5 Answers ]

I will be retiring in 7 months and want to have part of my 401 sent to me monthly is it best to roll most of it into IRA accounts and put some into money market savings where I can access some monthly. Do not feel that I will have money to pay an investor. Thanks:)

View more questions Search