Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    callie girl2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 05:59 AM
    Afraid of Queen accidentally suffocating kittens
    My cat Callie is a very good mother. She is very loving and takes great care of her babies. I am worried though because I am afraid that she will accidentally suffocate one of them. I watch her with them most of the time, but I have to work. So I can't be there all the time. I am afraid that when I am gone she will lay on one of them. She is very affectionate. I was petting her the other day while she was in her box with kittens, and she just flopped right down on top of one of them. She didn't bother moving or anything. I had to move her off the top of him. Is this normal, or will she be able to tell when she is on one of them, and move. They are only 2 days old. Help Please!
    mommyv Posts: 55, Reputation: 4

Sep 26, 2008, 06:57 AM

One of my female cats had kittens about 5 months ago and this was my first experience with brand new kittens, but she did the same thing, she'd just plop right down on top of them and I worried that if I wasn't there something bad would happen but they're still driving me crazy today! I just trusted they would be OK and as soon as I got home I'd check on them and they were always fine.
    QUACKERS Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Sep 26, 2008, 10:14 PM

Hi the mother by herself will not roll on tp off the kittens and if she does will feel the kitten sqirming but if your stroking her in her bed then her attention is on you so beware there.hope this helps chris.
    errca21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2010, 05:44 PM
    I have the same problem... sadly I can't give you comforting advice. My cat, Izzie gave birth 4 days ago to 7 kittens (her first litter). There was a runt, but I took special care to make sure he was always getting food, and he was happy and thriving.
    I did notice that she would sit on or lay on them at times, and I barely slept the first 2 nights in fear that they were going to suffocate, so every time I heard a scared mew, I woke up to make sure no one was being squished, and if they were (a lot of times this was th case), I moved them out from under her and placed them to safety. It was like she didn't even notice or respond to the crying.
    I decided to spend last night with my boyfriend as I hadn't seen him in a week, and I figured Izzie had gotten the hang of things. When I came home this evening after a long day of job-hunting and the like, I found one of the kittens squished and dead. :-( I was shocked and upset at realizing that she had done this. Upon further inspection and removal, I realized it was the runt (who I was affectionately calling Scraggly due to his hair). I'm still crying about it, because I was especially attached to him, and was planning on keeping him out of the rest of the litter.
    All I can say is to give her a bigger space (maybe that will prevent her sitting on them), and when you are around, see if you can somehow make her better aware of the babies if they are under her. I hope they remain OK... I feel extremely guilty for that poor baby.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 14, 2010, 03:52 PM

Thread is 2 years old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ex accidentally dials my number. [ 18 Answers ]

OK... Ive posted my situtation about me and my ex two weeks ago title" WHAT IS IT WITH THIS GIRL" on the relationship forum but I want to get other peoples opinion on this. This is just a recap on what's being happening since my last post. Nothing has changed. She still keep the lines of...

Should we step in and support queen feeding kittens [ 3 Answers ]

Hi We have 6 thriving kittens 23 days old. We have noticed a couple of her teats are sore through vigorous feeding of the kittens. She also seems to be jumping out of the box mid way through feeding. Looks like they are hurting her whilst feeding with there little teeth. Today we have only seen...

Did I take her virginity accidentally? [ 16 Answers ]

I'm a 21 year old male and my girlfriend is 20, I've been with her for 4 months now we both care a lot for one another. Going into the relationship she said she was a virgin and planned an waiting till marriage. I told her I respect that and would honor that. The other night we were getting hot...

View more questions Search