Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwssas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2006, 10:17 AM
    Can I close one account?
    I have 2 retirement 401k accounts. (one of my companies was bought out by the other)I would like to close 1 of them out and put the money into a down on property in which to live. How much in penalties will this cost me % wise.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 21, 2006, 02:26 PM
    You did not mention your age, I will assume younger, You will have to pay all the taxes on the money you withdraw and normally a 10 percent penalty. Also if you had matching funds from an employer, if these funds are not vested ( according to the rules of your plan) you may loose those also.

You need to sit down with the plan administor of these and/ or read your copy of the plan to get exactly what details would effect your specific plan
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2006, 04:49 AM
    Hi,
    I agree with your previous answer about talking with your Plan Administrator.
    He/she can answer your questions as to the options you have, and how much you will lose.
    If you close out a 401k account, under 59 1/2 yrs old (in some cases; in other cases, might be older), you will pay a 10% penalty. Additionally, there will be a 20% withholding for Federal Taxes, and you might want an additional 4% withheld for State Taxes (if your State has a State Income Tax).
    Please talk with your Plan Administrator. Best of luck.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2006, 01:15 PM
    I disagree with part of this answer. Specifically this part:

Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    and you might want an additional 4% withheld for State Taxes (if your State has a State Income Tax).
    I wouldn't recommend that upfront.

If you can manage your money, take it, put it in a bank, earn some interest, don't just send it off to the government before you need to. But, if managing money is a problem, then follow Fred's advice.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 22, 2006, 04:44 PM
    Before closing the account, I would check for a couple of issues. First, its possible that using the funds as a down payment on a home will qualify as a hardship withdrawal, avoiding the penalty. Second, You might be able to take a loan out against the account, which allows you to pay yourself back with interest.

If you don't qualify for hardship and you do withdraw the money, then you will be subject to a 10% penalty, plus you will be taxed at your current tax rate.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2006, 06:06 AM
    Hi,
    I do agree with the answer before this one, about having the 4% taking withheld. If you can manage your money, so if you have any State Taxes to be paid on it, you can make that payment for the year, then it's best NOT to have this withheld.
    If however, you are like many, many tax payers, and let the Government hold your money for you, then pay you back a refund, then it's the way to go.
    Personally, I agree with "earn some interest". The Government doesn't pay interest in the money people get back in "refunds" for the past year's taxes!
    If you do have a State Income Tax, you might want to check with a CPA or someone, to see if there is a "penalty" for not paying an "estimated" tax on money you get, in which there were no State Tax deductions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas line & dryer vent pipe - how close is too close? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm rerouting the gas dryer vent piping so that it will inside the adjoining stud wall. At the top of the wall the vertical exhaust pipe will be within an inch or two of the horizontal running copper gas supply line. Question - is there a minimum distance that the metal dryer exhaust pipe must...

Slow Close Down [ 2 Answers ]

My computer takes ages to close down and I don't know why Also, when I am on a page, and I open another page, it takes time to open, or it gives me an error "page cannot be displayed"... any ideas

Old wooden window won't close [ 8 Answers ]

I have a wooden window that jams about 6" from the bottom. It seems to jam on the left side and there's a small pile of sawdust in that corner. It doesn't look like the individual sliding parts of the window can be removed. Any advice?

Will they ever close up? [ 4 Answers ]

Currently, I have 7 piercings in my ears. I have my first ones done when I was 8 and they were crooked (they never closed up from me poking earrings through them), so I had them re-pierced at 10 and they are also crooked. My second ones were pierced at 12 and one of those is crooked, and my third...

Am I close? [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to understand this question and a few others, this is my attempt, am I close or way off base? Thanks for your help in advance! Question 3 Prepare year end adjusting entries for each of the following: 1. Office supplies had a balance of $84 on Jan 1, purchases debited to office supplies...

View more questions Search