Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redwee74 Posts: 74, Reputation: 11

Sep 25, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Swimming for a beginner
    I was just wondering if someone could give me a good workout for a beginner. I took swimming in college and am now a smoker. I am trying to quit. Just looking for a good beginning routine.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2008, 04:46 AM

Good job with trying to quit smoking... that in itself will improve your output with swimming. How you start will be very individual depending on your current condition.
    Are you wanting to do this on your own or are you joining a gym or the Y? Some locations will have classes and such you could look into. Some Y's even have swim teams you might want to join at some point if you like competing.

If you are just thinking of laps you could use a kickboard at first and work your way up. A few laps with the kickboard, a couple laps freestyle, a couple breaststroke, etc.. Some people like to do sprints... slow and easy for a lap, pushing yourself a bit for the next lap, and so on.

You'll have to see how it goes for you... often, if you have been out of it for awhile, you may be surprised how difficult it is at first! It doesn't take much to get out of shape unfortunately.

Take it easy and work your way up. If you try to go all out too quickly, you will end up sore and frustrated which will only increase the likelihood of stopping altogether. If you can entice a friend or family member to join you that can sometimes be a good motivator as well to keep you going.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A beginner in Sales [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to this website and I am very new to sales. My fiance's aunt created her own mineral-based makeup line called about face by Pamela John. I have recently started to find retail stores such as salons and boutiques to carry her line. I was wondering what your thoughts were on...

A Beginner Drum Set [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, so I've started drum lessons and my drum teacher is teaching me drum beats. The only problem is I don't have a drum set yet. I was looking to go Pearl. But the problem is, there are seven different series. So I'm looking for a series that is: 1) Good for beginners 2)Good Quality...

C++ programming Qs (beginner) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there... I am a novice in C++ programming. I wrote a very simple 'temperature conversion' program that asks user to input whether they want a Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion, or the opposite, and then calls the respective function (i.e. either a Celsius to Fahrenheit converter OR a Fahrenheit...

Computer beginner [ 1 Answers ]

I'm new to computers and I just got a notebook, there was really no actual manual with it, just basic information, my question is what are the top row of keys, the ones that have f1-f2, etc, what are they for and how do you use them, not only are they label fi, but it also has a question mark...

View more questions Search