Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    russharv63 Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Fuel tank sender unit wrench
    I have a 1993 ford taurus 3.8L V6 automatic GL. I need to remove the fuel tank sender assembly so I can replace my fuel pump but the "Haynes" and "Chilton's" repair manual states I need to use a "fuel tank sender unit wrench D84P-9275-A" to remove it. My question is where do I get the wrench and also do I really need this wrench to remove the sender assembly?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 04:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by russharv63
    ......do I really need this wrench to remove the sender assembly?
    The job is somewhat easier with that special wrench, but it can be done without it.

Name:  sender.gif
Views: 480
Size:  10.3 KB

If you are very careful, you can "walk" the lock ring off and back on again with judicous use of a hammer and suitable punch or chisel.
    A brass hammer and chisel would be best to avoid any chance of sparks, for obvious reasons.

Carefully inspect the lock ring and tabs to see if there are any lock tabs that would prevent the ring from rotating. You'll see it doesn't have to turn far to disengage from the tank. NOTE: Don't just work the lock ring from one area. Tap on different tabs to avoid the lock ring from binding while rotating.

Once the tank has been safely emptied and removed from the car, clean the area around the pump and lock ring to remove any dirt that could fall into the tank or interfer with the new pump and o-ring. Have an assistant hold the tank steady while they press down to hold the old pump while you tap the sender retaining lock ring counterclockwise from it's position. Remove the old pump and o-ring. Install the new pump and new o-ring.
    Again, have the assistant hold the new pump into the tank and reinstall the lock ring.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fuel smell, Fuel tank leak [ 7 Answers ]

We had a fuel tank leak, how do I get the smell out of our boat? What do you know about a aluminum tank leaking? We have a 1988 Bayliner 34' the tank is located under the back bed, she holds 200 gal, we don't know where the leak is on the tank. We have been told it will be costly to repair, I have...

Weed Eater LT 7000 Gas Tank\Fuel Line [ 2 Answers ]

I recently received a used weed eater lt 7000 and when I tried to clean it up a little I noticed the fuel lines were rotted. The filter was already off inside of the gas tank. Any ideas on how to get a new gas line and the filter back in the gas tank, since I have no idea on how it goes? There was...

Bayliner Ciera 2855 ST determining cause of fuel leak and replacing tank if necessary [ 1 Answers ]

1997 Bayliner ciera 2855 ST Sunbridge has quite a bit of fuel in bilge area near the engine. We filled the tank earlier in the day and did some boating. We docked the boat and there was no gas leak at that time. About 6 hours later when we checked the boat we could smell gas. On examination we...

View more questions Search