Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arod914 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Probability.statisitics class
    I really could not find a math forum... but since I am an accounting major I'd figure I'd ask here. I am taking a statistics course and we just started probabilities. I am terrible at that and I need help...

Suppose that 18% of the employees at a given corporation engage in physical activity during lunch. Moreover, assume that 57% of all employees are male, and 12% of all employees are males who engage in physical activity during lunch.

a. If chosen at random, what is the probability that person is female who engages in physical activity during lunch?

b. if chose at random, what is probability that person is female and does not engage in physical activity during lunch?

thanks in advance!
    AdamUTsel Posts: 100, Reputation: 2

Sep 26, 2008, 07:09 AM

a) 6%
    b) 37%

Think of the company as 100 employees. If 18% do the activity this mean 18 employees. If 12 males of the 100 employees do the activity, then 6 females must make up the remainder of the 18. Furthermore, if 57 employees are male, then 43 are female (necessary to arrive at 100, or 100%). Since 6 of the females do the activity, this leaves 37 that do not.

6/100 = Females who do physical activity
    37/100 = Females who do not do the activity

Total female population = 6 + 37 = 43

Total populations = 100 = 57 males + 43 females

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wha does class e and class b mens [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I live in the state of ma. My question is what does class e means and class b for license electricians.

A girl in my class [ 2 Answers ]

Okay so there's this girl who is a *beepp* Firstly she stole one of my best friends good mates and not only that, this is the sick bit - my friend may have something wrong with her heart and this girl told the guy (one of the 'my friends good mates') she was going into the hospital to get an...

CPA exam class which to take? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm soposed to be taking the CPA exam this summer and was all set up for the Becker review exam and my friend bailed on me last minute. My boss recommends I don't do the Becker review but to do Gleim review, it's a self study program that works at my pace instead of the fast paced and stressful...

Class of racehorses [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know the class of a racehorse?Can you put the class in order like Grade 1 and down?

View more questions Search