Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wandawallace Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Back pay
    I became disable in DEC of 2003 and got approved for disability in Aug of 2005-but the problem is my lawyer sigh a paper and said I agree with him as my onset date being in Aug of2005-which I never sighed a paper and it shows that on my paper work-so that cause me to ot receive any back pay-not even a penny.Is there anything I can do about it -or is it to late?You might say I am lucky to get my disability-but when your bills don't stop for those years-and now everybody is trying to take me to court-and mess up my credit-because I can't afford to pay any pass hospital bills or nothing-
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wandawallace View Post
    I became disable in DEC of 2003 and got approved for disability in Aug of 2005-but the problem is my lawyer sigh a paper and said i agree with him as my onset date being in Aug of2005-which i never sighed a paper and it shows that on my paper work-so that cause me to ot receive any back pay-not even a penny.Is there anything i can do about it -or is it to late?You might say i am lucky to get my disability-but when your bills don't stop for those years-and now everybody is trying to take me to court-and mess up my credit-because i can't afford to pay any pass hospital bills or nothing-

If I am correct you stopped working due to a disbility in December 2003.

You were approved for SSD in August 2005. Your first six months of disability are exempt from SSD so your SSD benefits could have started on July 1, 2004.

You were not paid from July 1, 2004 to (presumably) August 1, 2005.

Your Attorney is claiming your disability began in August 2005 (not the date you are claiming, July 2004) and claims you signed an agreement to that effect, an agreement which you did not sign.

Here is my problem with this - you are entitled to disability from the date a Physician said you were disabled. It's not just what you say, what you sign. In fact, you have very little to do with the beginning date of SSD. You, of course, have to file for benefits in a timely fashion.

The Attorney who represented you is paid a percentage of your benefits BY LAW for representing you - no more and no less. If he/she somehow causes you to receive a lesser amount it ultimately costs him/her money so there's absolutely no benefit to that, aside from the ethics question of settling for less than you are due.

I think you need to post more information or, if I am wrong, correct me - otherwise, I don't understand what happened here.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2008, 06:58 PM

Judy is correct about the dates. You don't get disability from the time you stopped working. I worked for an attorney who did disability cases and could not accept a client unless they were first turned down by Social Security Disability at least once. You can't be found to be immediately disabled unless determined by a doctor and a lot of medical records.

Your attorney is paid according to what you are paid. He can't charge you more if you don't collect more and believe me if he can collect more, he'll have the correct date on your paperwork to ensure that he is paid more.

If you were approved back in 2005, it is way too long now to start trying to correct what you think is an error. Your attorney would have caught this error back in 2005.

The paperwork you signed was paperwork prepared by Social Security Disability and not your attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

Rash on the back of my neck and lower back. [ 14 Answers ]

I've been getting this rash that is almost hive like feeling (when I touch it, it feels like welts like you get with hives) it itches but I can't see it. The rash is on my lower back, and the hairline of my neck. In the morning it is the worst and then it seems to get better throughout the...

Back child support and social security disability back pay [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Texas and I am making court ordered payments fro back child support for a non-minor child. I will be receiving social security disability soon and was wondering since I am making payments will my social security back pay be garnished?:confused:

2 periods back to back with large blood clots! [ 6 Answers ]

I have just stared yet another period after just ending one 5 days ago. I had major pain with the last one, I have never had that kind of pain before. Now with this period I just found an extremely large blood clot. Although it looked more like tissue then an actual bllod clot. What could this be...

Interlocking plate back to back feed [ 2 Answers ]

If I use a interlocking plate to backfeed my main(homelite 200amp)from my generator... from my garage... can I use the braker that is feeding the garage if I put it in the proper place to accommodate the interlocking plate? It's a 220 30 amp braker... so part of the question is... will the...

View more questions Search