Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grammarian-Bot Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

May 21, 2006, 02:22 AM
    Number of pronoun referring to an independent clause
    In english grammar, if a pronoun refers to a phrase containing every or any that falls within a different independent clause, the pronoun cannot be singular.

My question is that wheather the following sentence is right or not.

Every man left; they took their coat with them.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 21, 2006, 03:53 AM
    I should think, just from an instinctive "it doesn't sound right" kind of place, that the coat would necessarily need to be plural unless several men were able to fit into one coat?

Just a guess on my part and not to be taken as grammatical law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Girlfriend Wants to be Independent After 4 Years. [ 48 Answers ]

Hello, Well here's the story. Bare with me. We are young (please do not use this part as a reason), and we started dating when she was only 15 and I was only 16. We were both VERY mature for our ages, being she had been home schooled most of her life, and I had just matured through my...

Small Jobs Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

In 2005, I worked primarily as an independent contractor, for several small companies and non-profits. Two of them were for over $600 and sent me 1099s, but three of them were under $600 jobs and didn't send me anything. Am I obligated to report these three? (I'm imagining the answer is yes, but I...

Indian tax treaty clause for H1B status ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I have summarized my case below - Jan 2005 (31 days) - F1/OPT Feb 2005 through Dec 2005 - H1B I filed taxes using the 1040EZ form, where I could "not" avail of the Indian tax treaty clause. The calculation for my taxable income was:

New independent contractor [ 2 Answers ]

I just took 2nd job--as independent contractor. I don't want to end up having to pay at end of tax year (2006) so can someone tell me what I need to do to pay taxes throughout year out of each check I receive so I don't end up having to pay at the end of the year next year?? I'd rather do it on...

View more questions Search