Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobski Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2008, 05:40 AM
    Hold a mortgage
    What does it mean to hold a mortgage for a buyer?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Sep 25, 2008, 05:50 AM
    It means that the seller becomes the lender. Instead of the seller receiving the full amount of the purchase price at the closing, the seller will receive monthly payments from the buyer. Those monthly payments will be the amount of the purchase price that wasn't paid at the closing, plus interest. If the buyer defaults in making the monthly payments then the seller has the right to foreclose.
    Neilcathy67 Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Oct 8, 2008, 01:59 PM

Lisa is correct, you will be the bank and they will make payments to you every month. This can be achieved if your home is free and clear at the time of sale or you will have to payoff the first loan. Do a credit check on the buyers, ask for pay stubs and 1040's for the last 3 years. Do your homework before you do this also remember, if you do this they must get fire insurance and put your name on it as the first lien holder, so you will get paid in case of a fire etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell Chromotherm III thermostat reads Hold AC and will not Hold Heat [ 2 Answers ]

Chromotherm III thermostat reads Hold AC and will not Hold Heat--reverts back to Hold AC when run program is pushed.

Mortgage broker vs. Mortgage Lender [ 3 Answers ]

What are the pro's and con's of using either a mortgage broker or going directly to the mortgage lender?

Mortgage company wants to hold home owners insurance payment in escow. [ 1 Answers ]

I had a tree damage the roof or my home and cause over $37K in damages. My mortgage company want to hold the payment in escow and issue me the money after I supply receipts. I am current on my payments. Is this legal?

How would I hold mortgage on income property [ 2 Answers ]

I own a 2 family house.I have an interested buyer and would like to hold the mortgage.. Is this a good idea? I know that it would be set up with an attorney,but what stipulations should I have.

36 hours before I close mortgage company refuses to give mortgage? [ 5 Answers ]

I secured a deal for a home with the owner and got a signed contract a month ago. For sale by owner deal. Secured financing at 95%, with 5 % down. Did financing through a broker, and got a locked in deal with countrywide over 3 weeks ago. All is well, appraised for 100K over what I have...

View more questions Search