Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lightning1980x Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2008, 02:48 AM
    COMPLETE wipe of hdd
    Hi everyone.

What is the best way to completely format my C: drive ( WinXP drive ), my friends says
    That just formatting with the windows CD is not enough if you have any malware running.

So, is it best to download and burn Ultimate BOOTCD , boot it, and wipe the C drive, then install XP on it, or what shall I do?

Thank you
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 25, 2008, 02:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning1980x View Post
    my friends says that just formatting with the windows CD is not enough if you have any malware running.
    Errr NOPE your "friend" is badly informed.

A format will remove all data from the drive. It's best to do a FULL format rather than the, faster, quick format to be sure.

So, is it best to download and burn Ultimate BOOTCD , boot it, and wipe the C drive, then install XP on it, or what shall I do?
    Sure if you want to, but as mentioned above, simply boot to your XP CD and select the FULL format option. This takes a lot longer but WILL remove EVERYTHING from your drive.
    The only way you will get it back would be an expensive professional forensic recovery.
    lightning1980x Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2008, 02:56 AM
    OK thank you very much

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wipe system clean [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Dell inspiron 1405 notebook with Windows XP in it. It didn't come with any reinstall cd's. It ia all on the hard drive. I want to wipe it clean and start over fresh with it. I can't remember how to do this. Have any answers for me?

I want to know how to wipe my computer out? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to wipe my computer out and start over again. Some one told me that you can type something in run and it will wipe everything out! Is that true? If so how do I do that?

How to wipe system and start again? [ 4 Answers ]

I currently have a PC at home, about 4-5 years old, which I feel needs clearing in order to maximise its efficiency. I have no idea of its memory or speed off the top of my head but suffice to say it is not terribly old and decrepid, the problem is that is infuriatingly slow, has problems...

XP won't boot up and cannot wipe HD [ 4 Answers ]

My computer is refusing to load anything other than safe mode, and appears to be deteriorating. It started as jerkiness after booting up (mouse, audio, and general computer noises were jolting a lot). Then my computer stopped recognising the DVD drive (in general, not just in XP). Then it would...

3 installs XP Pro - can't wipe clean - HELP [ 10 Answers ]

I have an old P4 machine that ran Windows 2000. I upgraded this to Windows XP but due to some junk on the PC it ran badly. So it was decided to re-install and try wipe the HDD clean. However this did not happen and another separate install of Windows XP occurred. I trawled through some help...

View more questions Search