Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2006, 09:54 PM
    The difference in truth and fact in this instance is I think this is a funny question and that is the truth because that is what I believe... but then the question is not a funny question and that is a fact.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 22, 2006, 05:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    I am really interested in what everyone here may think about the difference between...

TRUTH or FACT
    A "fact" is something that cannot be disputed. Tis something that can be/has been proven.

"Truth" is often relative and disputable - unless it is referring to a fact.

how does a "valid opinion" differ from an "opinion that is proved specifically"?
    I consider all opinions valid unless they are based on presuming something a fact when it is not; like "I think Don Juan was a brave man for sailing the ocean to discover America"

"Proof" is not a word that can be used about an opinion; that is, I don't see that an opinion can be "proved"... except that I can point to someone's opinion to prove that it is that person's opinion.

... the above is my opinion :D
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2006, 06:18 AM
    Well I would be inclined to say that Truth & Fact are not all that different - it all depends on the context to which they used.

You could for example have someone jealous of you for something so they start a rumour about you. Your friends believe that person and confront you - your reply - "get your facts straight before you starting accusing me of such things"

The facts in this scenario would be working out the truth.

However a policeman could have a case on his hands to solve.

The witnesses would give an account on what they saw and declare it the truth and sign a declaration to say they will stand up in court and say the very same in need be.

However the facts obtained may not correspond with the truth given by the witnesses.

Its all about context!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 22, 2006, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    I consider all opinions valid unless they are based on presuming something a fact when it is not; like "I think Don Juan was a brave man for sailing the ocean to discover America"

"Proof" is not a word that can be used about an opinion; that is, I don't see that an opinion can be "proved"...except that I can point to someone's opinion to prove that it is that person's opinion.

...the above is my opinion :D
    I agree that an opinion cannot be proven, but an opinion CAN be disproved. One can make an argument to support an opinion. However, if that argument is based on data that can be shown to be non-factual, then it negates the opinion as invalid.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 22, 2006, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I agree that an opinion cannot be proven, but an opinion CAN be disproved. One can make an argument to support an opinion. However, if that argument is based on data that can be shown to be non-factual, then it negates the opinion as invalid.

Double negative does what now? :eek:
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2006, 06:33 PM
    It would be safe to assume that before you give your opinion, base it upon an empirical formula. Otherwise, there would be one grain of falsehood within your past experience, learning and thought processes which would in fact negate your opinion. So, if everything we have been taught in school, observed in the world and accepted to be true, are then drawn upon to form the basis of an opinion, then I say every opinion could have that small grain of falsehood in it's foundation. After all, do we think for a second that there is no falsehood within our belief system, our education and even our own thought process?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2006, 05:36 AM
    Hi,
    Interesting thoughts.
    I agree with rickj's answer.
    Fact is real and proven. An uproven "fact" is called a Theorem, which is yet to be proven to be Fact.
    Truth may be "as one sees it", which does not always make it a Fact.
    These two words are sometimes used interchangeably; such as "The Truth is....", or the person might have said "The fact is ......".
    In this case, one doesn't really know if the statement is Truth or Fact.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2006, 11:41 AM
    "How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four; calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."

"When people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."

"Yet it is in our idleness, in our dreams, that the submerged truth sometimes comes to the top."

"Truths emerge from facts, but they dip forward into facts again and add to them; which facts again create or reveal new truth (the word is indifferent) and so on indefinitely. The 'facts' themselves meanwhile are not true. They simply are. Truth is the function of the beliefs that start and terminate among them."

EDIT: I got these... and most of the quotes I use here:

Truth Quotes | Truth Quotations | Truth Sayings | Wisdom Quotes ;)
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 10, 2006, 09:07 AM
    We have objective truth which is true regardless of opinion and we have subjective truth which can vary according to culture, or religion. Subjective truth might or might not be in harmony with ultimate reality of facts which exists regardless of opinion. Objective truth is always in harmony with ultimate reality. For example, as DrJizzle pointed out before, people once believed the earth to be the center of the universe. That was subjective truth since regardless of their opinion the universe wasn't in harmony with it. The objective truth was that the earth is not the center of the universe. Another example is based on perception of what we consider an external world. Not all creatures perceive it in the same way. For example, not all creatures see the colors we see. So this too is subjective truth. The objective truth is that all there seems to be radiation which stimulates neurotransmitter transfer from nerve cells which ultimately is interpreted in the human occipital lobe as a certain color. The same applies to all the other senses. But even here we can't say with 100% certainty since we seem to be dependent on sense impressions whoes ultimate source we have too assume proceeds from the perceived. Ultimately all perception has to be opinion while ultimate truth or objective truth remains somewhere in some form unchanged.

BTW
    The above might not harmonize point for point with the way the subject officially explained in college. I do remember the Prof speaking as fact being that which can be proven via evidence as another poster pointed out.

Jun 10, 2006, 09:15 AM
    Very nice distinctions Starman...

I like to think of it as truth and Truth.

truth = yours and mine and every other human with a "can't help but be somewhat subjective" viewpoint on the planet.

Truth = objective, scientific, spiritual, immutable, eternal and well basically God's Truth.

It has been part of my personal journey to (besides trading in my fear-based decisions for love-based ones) continually adjust my truth so its closer and closer all the time to Truth. Very interesting journey too, I will confess! Thanks for the thought-provoking post!
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2006, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    We have objective truth which is true regardless of opinion and we have subjective truth which can vary according to culture, or religion. Subjective truth might or might not be in harmony with ultimate reality of facts which exists regardless of opinion. Objective truth is always in harmony with ultimate reality. For example, as DrJizzle pointed out before, people once believed the earth to be the center of the universe. That was subjective truth since regardless of their opinion the universe wasn't in harmony with it. The objective truth was that the earth is not the center of the universe. Another example is based on perception of what we consider an external world. Not all creatures perceive it in the same way. For example, not all creatures see the colors we see. So this too is subjective truth. The objective truth is that all there seems to be radiation which stimulates neurotransmitter transfer from nerve cells which ultimately is interpreted in the human occipital lobe as a certain color. The same applies to all the other senses. But even here we can't say with 100% certainty since we seem to be dependent on sense impressions whoes ultimate source we have too assume proceeds from the perceived. Ultimately all perception has to be opinion while ultimate truth or objective truth remains somewhere in some form unchanged.

BTW
    The above might not harmonize point for point with the way the subject officially explained in college. I do remember the Prof speaking as fact being that which can be proven via evidence as another poster pointed out.
    So is it safe to say that we do not know Truth (objective truth)?

After all, what we think to be "proven" is only proven with our limited resources and senses.

It sort of reminds me of that short story from Ray Bradbury... I don't really remember it but it was about a race that actually had a decernment for Truth.
    -

Jun 10, 2006, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle
    So is it safe to say that we do not know Truth (objective truth)?

After all, what we think to be "proven" is only proven with our limited resources and senses.

It sort of reminds me of that short story from Ray Bradbury... I dont really remember it but it was about a race that actually had a decernment for Truth.
    True, we are bound by our limited senses and for practical reasons we choose to accept this input as reliable and true since we have no other choice.

According to Hume, in our human condition we can't experience objective truth in relation to what we perceive as an exterior world. Here is an example: Suppose we gather many hypothetical species from many hypothetical planets and these creatures are all hardwired differently from one another in terms of perception. Suppose we subject all these thousands of species to an identical stimuli, let's say a visual one which humand perceive as a rectangular prism. Since each species is hardwired differently each one perceives what we perceive as a rectangular prism differently. One sees the stimuli as a cylinder, another as a globe, another as a gaseous amorphous gas, another as a light, another sees nothing at all, and so on. Who is to say which one of these perceptions, if they really are perceptions, is the correct one? Perhaps the stimulus isn't similar to any of them. But we need not go to extraterrestrial extremes since right here on earth the different animal special all perceive the supposedly same world differently.

About the story, the that I read was one depicting Martians who lacked eyes but which perceived the universe in ways which surpassed all human ability. For example, what was invisible and not hearable to us was a panorama of many colors and sounds to them. So the human who had requested seeing what they saw considered himself blind after the experience and did away with himself. A rather strange ending!

BTW

I am only partially in agreement with Descartes on this subject.

Jun 10, 2006, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    But we need not go to extraterrestrial extremes since right here on earth the different animal special all perceive the supposedly same world differently.
    I am more than comfortable being stuck in the subjective or small t truth, since getting my truth close to The Truth is close enough! :p
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2006, 01:28 PM
    That's really interesting... Its what me and a couple of my childhood friends discovered and called the Universal Green theory...

See, when I was growing up, I wasn't into Tonka trucks dand chasing lizards... me and my two best friends (one, a real down to Earth kind of guy... both feet on the ground... the other, a real visionary... head in the clouds kind of guy... through our experiences, I ended up with influences from the best of both worlds, in my opinion) anyway, we would sit around, starring at the sky, sitting in the hot tub, philosiphizing about Life, God, and the Universe. It was an awesome childhood, as far as I am concerned... mind you, this is between the ages of 10-18 or so.

We were maybe 6th or 7th grade at the time. We came up with a very similar theory, but we simply used colors to describe it. If I look at the color green, I would say "that is green." However, you may look at the same color, see what I would call red, but since you were taught that it was called green, you too would say "that is green" even though we were seeing two different colors altogether. We called in the Universal Green theory. It's a bit more elementary but quite the same, nonetheless.

Jun 10, 2006, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle
    Thats really interesting.... Its what me and a couple of my childhood friends discovered and called the Universal Green theory...

See, when i was growing up, I wasnt into Tonka trucks dand chasing lizards... me and my two best friends (one, a real down to Earth kind of guy... both feet on the ground... the other, a real visionary... head in the clouds kind of guy... thru our experiences, I ended up with influences from the best of both worlds, in my opinion) anyway, we would sit around, starring at the sky, sitting in the hot tub, philosiphizing about Life, God, and the Universe. It was an awesome childhood, as far as I am concerned... mind you, this is between the ages of 10-18 or so.

We were maybe 6th or 7th grade at the time. We came up with a very similar theory, but we simply used colors to describe it. If I look at the color green, I would say "that is green." However, you may look at the same color, see what I would call red, but since you were taught that it was called green, you too would say "that is green" even though we were seeing two different colors altogether. We called in the Universal Green theory. Its a bit more elementary but quite the same, nonetheless.

Did I know you then Jizz? LOL

Yep Yep Yep, we went as far as saying okay, if we switched eyeballs - would that do it?. noooo!

If we switched brains - would that do it?. hmmmmm?

If I jumped in your whole body?. maybe?

If I lived your whole life in your body.. . well hells spells, we're back to square one NOW! @#$#$!#$ :eek:
    -

Jun 11, 2006, 10:34 AM
    Did I know you then Jizz? LOL

Yep Yep Yep, we went as far as saying okay, if we switched eyeballs - would that do it?.... noooo!

If we switched brains - would that do it?..... hmmmmm?

If i jumped in your whole body? ..... maybe?

If I lived your whole life in your body . . .well hells spells, we're back to square one NOW!!@#$#$!#$ :eek:
    In my case I don't need to change eyeballs with anyone since I have a condition which causes one eye to see things in different shades than the other eye. I don't notice it unless I shut one eye and then compare with what I see next with the other. Long ago I was told by the doctor what the condition's medical name is but since it's nothing serious I didn't commit it to memory. One of my eyes also takes much longer to accustom itself to the darkness. I can see the room clearly with one eye while the other can't see a thing.

I also have a condition which is called lazy eye which causes one eye to swerve sideways and makes one see things double. In short, there are two images registering and I suppose that one of them is the real one. In fact, I have sometimes reached to grab the wrong one such as a glass or the object. But that's very rare since my brain has learned to ignore the one which isn't in harmony with my body movements so there is no problem there. I also shut one eye most of the time to prevent the inconvenience.

So I guess I'm a walking talking example of what subjective perception is all about. LOL
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

Mar 27, 2007, 05:02 PM
    Since we use these words here now and then, I've been thinking...

And although I have thoughts of my own about this....

I am really interested in what everyone here may think about the difference between...

TRUTH or FACT

Thank you.
    A truth is something that is spiritual and perhaps ultimately subjective to the individual.
    A fact us something that is believed to be true according to the current world-view.
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

May 10, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by keenu
    A truth is something that is spiritual and perhaps ultimately subjective to the individual.
    A fact us something that is believed to be true according to the current world-view.
    Hmm, I am a little late on this subject but I just joined a little while ago so I guess its OK :). According to keenu's comment, which I am in agreement with, what I have deduced is that truth AND fact aren't necessarily the real answers. Truth, as it has been stated, is individualized and does not have to be right but only right to the individual. A fact us something that is believed to be true according to the current world-view as it says in the above quote. But the individual's truth and the world's fact doesn't mean it is the real answer but only what that individual or world's belief is. So therefore, neither fact nor truth can be labeled as the real truth but only the opinion of a collective or an individual.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 10, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly999
    So therefore, neither fact nor truth can be labeled as the real truth but only the opinion of a collective or an individual.
    That is not always true ;)

There are certain in controvertible facts. If you let go of something it falls. A diamond will cut glass. Water comprises 2 parts of Hydrogen and 1 part Oxygen. If you disparage someone's religion you will get attacked :) (j/k)
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

May 11, 2007, 06:14 AM
    Didn't think it through all the way yesterday :P But wouldn't those be labeled as a type of law as well such as: gravity, a diamond being harder then glass, etc... because those are unchangeable facts I think they should fall in a different category; but then again they are indeed facts. I agree about the last line too xD but if they were truly walking the path of their religion and believe in it, I don't think they would attack you but that's 1/100000 people purhaps >.<.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Isn't it the truth? [ 2 Answers ]

*Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock** (MADE IN JAPAN**)** for **6am**. While his coffeepot**(**MADE IN **CHINA**)** was perking, he shaved with his electric razor** (**MADE IN **HONG KONG**).**He put on a dress shirt** (**MADE IN **SRI LANKA**), designer jeans** (**MADE IN...

Fact Finding Interview [ 0 Answers ]

How are determinations made?

View more questions Search