Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2006, 04:13 PM
    Pressure/Temp Gauges
    How do you read manifold gauges? i.e.. On a 70 degree day what pressures should you expect on a normal running unit? Low pressures and high pressures.I know it has to do with the ambient temp. I was told that you add 35 to the ambient and that should shoud translate to high pressure. Is this correct? How do you derive at the low pressure?
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

May 20, 2006, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire1
    How do you read manifold gauges? ie. on a 70 degree day what pressures should you expect on a normal running unit? Low pressures and high pressures.I know it has to do with the ambient temp. I was told that you add 35 to the ambient and that should shoud translate to high pressure. Is this correct? How do you derive at the low pressure?
    Ithe pressure/ temp coming off the discharge side should be constant ( the temp after the condenser coil depended on outside air temp)... each freon have its owns temp/pressure... R- 11 40f= 15.6 psi (vac) 100f = 8.8 psi, R12 40f = 37 100f = 117, R22 40f =69 100f = 196... normal gauge has about 3 rings on it, each ring have numbers on them. Read the temp/pressure corresponding to the freon... the outer ring uasslly pressure... ex the needle is at 65psi R22= 38 F, R502= 30f
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2006, 07:52 PM
    The pressures and temps can change from hourr to hour depending on several different things. One is the temp inside the house, if the house is hot then the suction line is going to pick up more heat there fore the pressure and temp will be higher on the low pressure gauge. If the humidity is high outside the high pressure gauge will red less that it would on a dryer day. If the Evap coil has any restriction or if there are grills that are shut or partially shut the low pressure gauge will read lower. If the coil on the condensing unit is dirty or blocked by an overhang or bushes the gauge will read high.

Now about the 35 degree difference int temps you quoted. At one time that was a way that some people used to charge a unit but they measured the air going into the condenser coil and the air coming out of the condenser coil if it was in a 30 to 35 degrees range that was acceptable. But there were other things that were considered. Was the suction line very cool to the touch and was there moisture forming. Also the temp of the air passing over the evap coil. A ideal temp drop is 18 to 20 degrees. Tjhen the last thing thing is what kind of metering device do you have on your eguipment?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 honda civic gauges don't work [ 8 Answers ]

My speedo won't work, whole gauge cluster messed up, please help

2000 Altima all gauges stopped working [ 3 Answers ]

2000 Altima all guages just stopped working-gas gauge, speedometer ,odometer They were out for about 20 minutes and then started working again. Any ideas on what is wrong? :-/

Hdd temp [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a DELL DIMENSION 9500. When I check with HDD HEALTH, it warns me that the drive (western digital) temp is 60 or 70 deg Celsius. It also says CRITICAL. What can I do. Is there another way to check ?

Question about supply temp. & return temp. [ 3 Answers ]

The AC system produced supply temps. At 57-60 degrees on the first floor With a return temp. of 71 degrees. The second floor supply temp. is at 59 degrees with a return temp. of 72 degrees. I know there should be at least a 15 degree temp. difference from the supply to return. There was also an...

Engine temp. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I have a 1977 Ford LTD II with a Ford 400 cu.in engine. This engine has always had a problem with its temperature when the car is stuck in a traffic jam. Is this normal for this engines? In heavy traffic I can't turn on the a/c because de temp rise fast and reaches the overheat range....

View more questions Search