Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephie77 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 08:51 PM
    My outside Lennox A/C unit not coming on, fan runs, but nothing else.
    Hi! My outside Lennox A/C unit (approx. 4 years old) is not coming on. The fan will run, if we start it manually (spin it ourselves) and will continue to run of its own accord. But the motor(?) or compressor or condenser or something in there will not turn on, it tries, but to no avail. Also, we just replaced the capicitor in June... don't know if that makes any difference or not... If anyone has any ideas on what may be wrong, or some helpful tips on how to fix it, it would be greatly appreciated! I lost my job 2 months ago and we're struggling a bit financially right now... DIY help is appreciated! Thanks! :)
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 25, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Recheck the capacitor you replaced especially for wiring defects (burnt wires). Then start with a eletric meter and check all circuits till you find the inoperative one.

Sep 25, 2008, 09:30 AM

Okay. So possibly a blown circuit? Just out of curiousity, how much $$ are we looking at to get it operable again? Thanks for your help. :)
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 25, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Just out of curiousity, how much $$ are we looking at to get it operable again?

I would have NO idea because it really depends upon what is the problem. It is possible the compressor went out and that could cost 1000.00's. I hope not but it just goes to show you that a estimate for repairs is not a guessing game. I also understand your financial situation and hope it is something simple and cheap to fix.

Good luck.

Sep 25, 2008, 12:50 PM

Okay, thanks. Hubby went and checked all of the wires and capacitor, and all was good.. I think you're right, I think it's the compressor or something major, which stinks! We live in Texas, it's still hot here for another 2 months or so! Thank you again for all your help.
    wheatnbarley24 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Sep 25, 2008, 02:07 PM

If it was a bad compressor the fan would come on on its own and the compressor wouldn't, or the unit would throw the breaker immediately, if you don't see any burnt wires its is probably the capacitor again

Sep 25, 2008, 03:06 PM

That I can handle.. a couple hundred bucks compared to a couple thousand.. thanks you. Here's hoping! :)
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2008, 06:34 PM
    One thing to check is that if a wire burnt off a compressor post at the compressor terminals and is grounding out the compressor will not run but the fan will try to run while seeking a ground. Its just a thought but worth checking out.

Sep 25, 2008, 08:07 PM

My hubby sat out there for a long time last night checking all the wires and such making sure there were not any bad wires or bad connections. Everything was where it was supposed to be and in good condition. Thanks for your input though, much appreciated! :)
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Did he check under the electrical cap on the compressor (only three wires)?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 26, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatnbarley24 View Post
    If it was a bad compressor the fan would come on on its own and the compressor wouldnt, or the unit would throw the breaker immediatly, if you dont see any burnt wires its is probably the capacitor again
    I agree, it sounds like you have a bad capacitor. How do you know its OK? Have you had it checked. It is also possible that you have a bad breaker, causing you to get only 120, instead of 240. Very unlikely that your compressor and fan go bad at the same time. But I have seen weirder things. I don't know what technitions charge there, but they should be able to diagnose the problem within minutes. Although you will have to pay the minimum charge
    Kenny_mac Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2013, 04:36 PM
    My outside Lennox A/C unit is not coming on. The fan will turn for 10-30 seconds and then there is no more turning. I put in a new relay and it still does the same as before I changed the relay. What do I test or change next?
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2013, 05:36 PM
    Kenny_mac,
    Please start a new thread with your question. Piggybacking on another thread, even if the equipment & problem seems similar, creates confusion. Thank You

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lennox G12 AC Runs Constantly and Thermostat Won't Control [ 10 Answers ]

Hey guys, I have a Lennox G12 that was installed when the house was built back in 1990. I recently had the AC stop working altogether. I then found the control transformer to be bad. I went to Home Depot and bought a multi use transformer that the electrical guy said "should" work. After...

Outide unit runs continually, but indoor unit will not always come on when it should. [ 7 Answers ]

For the past couple of months, my A/C has been working improperly, and I'm hoping that someone can tell me what's wrong, and how to fix it! Hot weather's ON THE WAY!! I don't know all of the correct terminology, but here goes: I have an electric central heat/air conditioner. The last couple...

Lennox furnace fan runs on forever [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old Lennox conservator II forced hot air gas furnace, the furnace itself runs good and produces heat , the problem I have is that the furnace cycle never ends it turns on produces heat then the firing stops the fan continues to run it cools down then before the fan cycle stops...

Lennox G12 furnace runs constantly [ 3 Answers ]

Furnace runs constantly and gets quite HOT, even if thermostat doesn't call for heat. Changed thermostat, didn't help. Removed new thermostat and checked to see if thermostat wiring had spark, it didn't. What now? I recently vacuumed unit. Does that matter? It ran fine for a few weeks following...

Having problems with our lennox hs18-261-c8p a/c unit not coming on [ 3 Answers ]

Hi having problems with the wiring to get the outdoor unit to come on I checked it outside in the panel and it kicks on when I push in the switch in the middle of the wiring on the outdoor unit and the 2 small voltage wires on the thermostat is a honeywell ct3600 I have the + side going to rc and...

View more questions Search