Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theodude50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Leaking pressure relief valve on h/w tank
    The pressure relief valve keeps leaking. The h/w tank is about 9 months old.

The problem started when the main line broke. The township had to turn my water off and when they fixed it and turned the water back on is when it started. Any help towards a solution is always appreciated. :)
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Sep 24, 2008, 07:40 PM

Is your water pressure higher than it normally was before the water main work? If your house pressure is high and then the water is heated, which makes it expand, the pressure can go above the valve rating and it WILL leak. In that case you may have to get a pressure reducing valve installed at your meter. Many times the water authority does that. Usually only when the pressure is above 60 psi or so.

Or possibly it got some dirt in it. Flip the little lever on it several times and let it snap shut. You will release a stream of water which should flush out any dirt on the seal. If it still leaks, it is most likely faulty. Is there a warranty?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 24, 2008, 08:32 PM

Pressure Relieve Valve (PRV) is factory preset at 150 PSI. It will start leaking when water pressure approaches this setting.

If it leaks, it means that your Water Pressure Regulator (WPR) is not reducing water and as result, allows higher pressure into your house. You will have to replace both WPR and pressure relieve valve. It is a common problem...

Go to Home Depot, get exactly same WPR and buy new PRV. Install them...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 25, 2008, 04:10 AM
    OR if you have a sprinkler system with a check valve or backflow preventer installed and no expansion tank installed on the water heaters cold water supply then you have located the source of your problem. Now you have three explanations. 1)a faulty PRV valve. 2) excessive house pressure. **or** 3) hot water expansion.
    Which door will it be? Door number one,two, or three? Good luck, n Tom
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2008, 08:03 AM

The First thing I will sugget to check your water pressure, use a water pressure test gauge see the Image below, second check your water heater selector the temp should be selected to 120 Degrees see the Image below, once you check get back to us, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Leaking from relief valve [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Well-Troll system, I just replaced the 75psi relief valve on the output of my tank. And it still leaks it seams that when I use water the pump (submersible) kicks on and pops the relief (spilling 3 or 4 gallons) nothing was changed or tampered with except the changing of the relief valve....

Gas Hot Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve Leaking [ 6 Answers ]

Should the pressure relief valve on my natural gas hot water heater leak out of the pressure relief valve every time the burner comes on to heat the water? It has been doing this for several months and my builder said his plumber told him it is normal.:confused: Also the temperature just...

Leaking h/w tank pressure valve [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 40 gal ruud gas h/w tank the pressure release valve on top is attached to a long verticle copper pipe, wich is constantly dripping, the drip becomes a leak after hot water is used anywhere in the house. Tried opening up all faucets to release pressure. This did not work. Any suggestions?

Pressure relief valve [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a State Select brand water heater (40 gallon) which is about 4-5 years old. It recently has begun to leak from the pressure relief valve, and is leaking a lot:( , especially after taking a shower... Is this a simple fix of replacing the valve or something more serious? Any and all...

View more questions Search