Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    561packrat Posts: 80, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Drywood termite treatment
    I have an 80 year old detached garage located in s. fla. That I am converting into an apt. It is wood frame stucco. Like nearly every older structure I have worked on in the last 30 years there are dry wood termites. I have seen a few where the stucco and wire lath are the only thing supporting a significant portion of the second floor. I would like to slow them down, or otherwise deter them. If I err it will be on the side of non-toxic to humans Vs. death to all insects I'm familiar with them, they eat slowly compared to the subs , the plumbing in walls is cpvc which has restrictions in its use around certain chemicals. I've researched boric acid, (toxicity about same as table salt), thinking of drilling small holes in studs and injecting with boric acid solution. Any thoughts out there on this?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2008, 06:25 PM

Once you have termites in a wooden structure the only way to halt the destruction is to hire a professional exterminator and pony up with the price as doing it yourself is basically useless. If you value the garage, do it right or the entire structure can come crashing down one day. Termites are insidious and eat non stop. I had termites in my duplex in Ft. Laud and paid a small fortune to get rid of them professionally, but it was well worth it as they never came back.

Digging holes, boric acid is only going to give you a false sense of actually doing anything.

The best way is to have it tented and properly fumigated professionally as the bugs have totally eaten their way into the structure itself and can't be reached with boric acid.

By the time you notice termites, they have more than likely weakened the integrity of the structure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can probation officer remove you from treatment center whilyou are getting treatment [ 1 Answers ]

Can probation officer come remove you from mental facility after suicide attempts while being diagnises with bipolor disorder and receiving treatment for such denying him prescribed treatment by dr,and through you in jail for discresionary time because he basically soughtr out his own treatment...

Purchase house that had a termite before [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning to purchase a house that I like but I found in the dislocure list that the house had a termite when the current owner puchased it in 1999 and the treatment was applied then. I am concerned that if there was a termite before even it was treated it may come back. Would do you advice?...

Rot and termite resistant wood [ 3 Answers ]

What are the 2 types of termite and rot resistant wood?

Termite Question [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have termites in a piece of wood in my garage. I see the mud tube coming up from the edge of the foundation and entering into a stud. The wood seems solid and I'm thinking of removing and replacing it, but what about the ones I don't get when I cut it out? Anyone had any experience with these...

View more questions Search