Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unclejohnny Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

May 20, 2006, 01:35 PM
    AMD K6 Processor
    I need to know what the speed of an AuthenticAMD K6 processor is. I have just had an IBM Aptiva custom built and the guy who built it said it's supposed to be at least 500 MHz, but my system information is saying it's only a 266 MHz. If it truly is 266, how can I be running XP Professional?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 20, 2006, 01:54 PM
    AMD K6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

K6 (Model 6)

* 8.8 million transistors in 350 nm
    * L1-Cache: 32 + 32 KiB (Data + Instructions)
    * MMX
    * Socket 7
    * Front side bus: 66 MHz
    * First release: April 2, 1997
    * VCore: 2.9 V (166/200) 3.2/3.3V (233)
    * Clockrate: 166, 200, 233 MHz

[edit]

K6 "Little Foot" (Model 7)

* CPUID: Family 5, Model 7, Stepping 0
    * 8.8 million transistors in 250 nm
    * L1-Cache: 32 + 32 KiB (Data + Instructions)
    * MMX
    * Socket 7
    * Front side bus: 66 MHz
    * First release: January 6, 1998
    * VCore: 2.2 V
    * Clockrate: 200, 233, 266, 300 MHz

It will be running at between 166 and 300 Mhz
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 20, 2006, 11:41 PM
    Probably means a K6-2
    Geek.com AMD K6-2 Processor Table
    CPU Shack - CPU Collection - AMD K6 K6-2 K6-3 K6-3+ ID Guide Markings Info

Also..
    Where on earth did u dig up one of them fossils and the motherboard to go with it?? lol... reminds me of those good ole days when downloading at 5 kb/s was flying,napster was free and AOL was at version 4.0.. ahhh the memories.. lol

How much did he charge you for the chip?. I hope not more than $15...
    unclejohnny Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

May 23, 2006, 01:20 PM
    I got a custom built IBM Aptiva that had this chip in it already, it is running XP Professional and has an ISA Modem, Rage Pro 3D AGP Graphics and sound bult in and is playing games that need minimum of a 500 MHz processor, if this processor is only a 300 at max, how are these advanced games playing?
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 25, 2006, 10:28 PM
    It probably is a 500mhz but the boards FSB jumpers are probably set up wrong... still set at the old 66mhz instead of the 100mhz fsb I bet or the multiplier is set low... need to go into the bios to retrieve those #'s... take it back to guy who built and tell him to adjust the FSB to the correct jumper location(its just a switch they flip to either 66 or 100)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Processor [ 6 Answers ]

I recently bought a game that has a requirement of a 1.4Ghz processor, I only got a 1.2. Is there any way of fooling the game or the computer into letting me play the game?

Processor [ 4 Answers ]

Hi guys, I was trying to install new PIV 2.5 Celeron processors on a computer that was using PIV 1.7 Celeron processors but the computer does not even reach post despite the fact that its on. What do you think is the problem?

AMD processor questions [ 7 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to purchase my first AMD system, and I've got a problem picking out a processor. Just when I think I understand, I read a new review and get confused again because nobody seems to have a strong opinion about either of the follow processors either way. So what I want to know is,...

Processor? [ 3 Answers ]

Can you please advise on which is best for the same price in a new laptop Intel Pentium 4 650 at 3.4GHz OR Pentium "M" 740 at 1.73GHz ( there is a 2+GHz at a much higher price available) The Two are HP zd8290ea and Dell 9300 Series Reply to [email protected]

Processor Comparison [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process purchasing a laptop computer. There are many processors to choose from these days and I was hoping someone could enlighten me about the differences in the many styles/brands of processors currently offered for these computers. I have always preferred Pentium 4 processors. ...

View more questions Search