Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Soundmanc Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 12:25 PM
    DNS Forwarding
    I am looking for a procedure to setup my DNS a particular way. I'm using Win2003 server

Lets say I have a domain called www.mysuperdomain.com. Any time someone types in www.mysuperdomain.com the request is sent to the ISP, then to the DNS server which forwards to IIS, then to the webpage. I believe I have that mostly right.

What I want to setup is anytime someone types in anything proceeding the website name ex(bob.mysuperdomain.com) it automatically forwards to www.mysuperdomain.com.

No matter what preceedes the domain name whether is is www, bob, email, or AD I want it to forward to www.mysuperdomain.com

If you need more information let me know. I probably described that rather badly.

I've been looking for the procedure on the internet and so far have not found it.

Thanks
    Soundmanc
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Sep 24, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundmanc View Post
    What I want to setup is anytime someone types in anything proceding the website name ex(bob.mysuperdomain.com) it automatically forwards to www.mysuperdomain.com.

No matter what preceedes the domain name whether is is www, bob, email, or AD I want it to forward to www.mysuperdomain.com
    What you are looking for is how to setup a "wildcard entry" for your domain. See if this page has the info you need:

Setting Up Wildcard DNS and Wildcard SSL (Windows SharePoint Services 2.0)

If not, try adding "wildcard" to the search terms you tried before. Good luck.
    Soundmanc Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Thanks a lot. That helped, and we got it working this afternoon.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Sep 25, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundmanc View Post
    Thanks alot. That helped, and we got it working this afternoon.
    Yeah! I love it when a plan comes together. :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Forwarding address [ 4 Answers ]

My husband "supposedly" skipped town, and I'm trying to divorce him. How do I find his fowarding address?? I've tried just about everything!

Forwarding with attachments [ 3 Answers ]

When I receive an email in hotmail that has a series of attachments every thing shows in the proper place in the text section of the email, A picture then text describing the picture then the next picture and text and so on. When I try to forward it to someone with Yahoo or AOL email they only...

Port Forwarding [ 1 Answers ]

How do I forward my Ports to my wireless AtivaG54 router? I tried enabling my Upnp fucnction but I keep getting error:password>3char

Forwarding Address [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I need to sue previous tenants at my property for unpaid rent/utilities and damages, but they have moved out and they did not give me a forwarding address. How do I obtain that from the USPS? I tried to call the USPS and they say they need something from the court saying they can release...

View more questions Search