Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ilur Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 08:10 AM
    Dsl connection
    Hi, everybody

I have Verizon dsl fujitsu modem which connected directly to my computer (Window XP) and I cannot connect to Internet. Verizon tech support, after trying everything said it is network card on my computer. I called HP they checked the card and it is fine.
    What is the problem?
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Sep 24, 2008, 08:49 AM

I can't rule out a less expensive solution, but I had a similar problem with a relative's new Vista machine during the summer. A long conversation with the cable company's support department using various techniques like Vista's connection wizard and reviewing/resetting the IP connection settings couldn't solve the problem. All the settings were proper, but the computer complained about "limited or no connectivity" which appeared to be linked to an inability to acquire an IP address assignment. The computer dealer tested the network adapter, which proved to be working properly. The problem persisted after a cable company field technician made a visit, which included replacing the modem.

At my home I had originally been using a USB connection to my cable modem, as I was using a crossover cable on the Ethernet adapter to network a second computer. I rescued a outdated, but operational, router from a trip to the trash so I could use a proper Ethernet network. As a test I attempted a direct Ethernet connection to my cable modem, resulting in the same problem my relative was having. Reconnecting the router reestablished my Internet connection.

My relative is now enjoying the outdated router on her single computer "network" as it relays the Internet connection. I purchased a more recent model router (still not 802.11n) for my wired two computer network. I'm still unable to understand why the two routers can acquire an IP address through the cable modems while the computers cannot.
    webi Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Sep 24, 2008, 09:12 AM
    1. First you have to reach the router (usually 192.168.0.1 or something like that, check the manual). If you can reach the router, there's no problem with your network card.
    2. Nearly all router have a diagnostic page, check if it have ip address, and if the router calls the isp, it should display connection status.
    3. If you see the router is connected to the internet, and you'r connected to the router, disable firewall (new, advanced firewalls can block all traffic with one click)
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Sep 24, 2008, 02:32 PM

webi:

I think you might be a bit confused on one issue. Ilur appears to have a cable connected directly between the DSL modem and the computer's Ethernet adapter. I believe that under those circumstances the nonexistent router would be unresponsive to any attempts to access its diagnostic or configuration "pages".

My relative was having problems with a similar configuration, except she was directly connected to a cable modem instead of a DSL modem. Again, there would be little prospect of accessing a router that was not there. Although I'm uncertain about what was causing her problem, I was able to duplicate it at my home (by temporarily bypassing the router) and able to resolve her problem by by relocating my original router to her connection. As there were no setting changes to the firewall in my relative's computer between the cable company technician's visit and my installation of the router (nothing more than plugging the cables and power adapter in), I doubt the firewall was an issue for my relative's problem. Once the routers were installed the routers were sucedeeing in obtaining an IP address from the ISP/modem while the computers were obtaining their IP address from the router. Under those circumstances the router acts as a bridge between the Internet and the LAN hiding the LAN IP addresses from the Internet.

My relative and I use the same Cable/Internet provider and live in the same city (thus same local cable system). While I didn't compare the model number of her new modem to mine, it is the same make and looks identical (same case and color of plastic). The ISP's subscriber support pages and subscriber "Quick connect kits" both indicate a preference for the direct connection between the cable modem and the computer's Ethernet adapter. (with the direct USB connection as an alternate). The Wireless Access Points (WAPs) are deactivated on both routers.
    webi Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Sep 25, 2008, 04:42 AM
    [QUOTE=robertva;1290744]webi:

I think you might be a bit confused on one issue. Ilur appears to have a cable connected... /QUOTE]

Ok, maybe I misunderstand a few things, but the dsl providers can see if the given modem is connected to the internet, or not. I had a few tricky modem/router setup in romania and hungary, there was an installation cd for the modem, and I had to setup mtu, and other dsl-related settings in the modem's administration page, which appeared after running the installation cd.

So,
    If the provider says the modem is connected, and there's no problem with the network card, this can be a software issue. Anyway, nowadays no provider sell a modem which can't be verified. It's not a passive stuff so the user or the provider must have the option to run some diagnostic. Do you agree ?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Oct 1, 2008, 08:57 AM

Ilur,

Make sure that your network adapter is setup to use DHCP configuration.

Power off/on your modem to reset it.

Disable any Firewall Software that you have running.

Change out your network cable with a different one to rule out the cable. Look at the two ends side by side. Are the colored pairs on the left side both orange (straight passthrough) or is one orange and one green (crossover)? Try both types but you are likely using a crossover cable.

Once you have established your Internet connection, enable your Firewall Software.
    marked Posts: 41, Reputation: 0

Oct 2, 2008, 04:15 PM

Better check if first if your modem is set tp bridge mode , because if the modem is set to bridge you need a dialer so your computer will be able to access the internet...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dsl connection [ 1 Answers ]

How to set dsl connection on nx 5000 laptop thank,s:) :)

AOL connection [ 1 Answers ]

Why am I asked to reload my AOL files before I sign on the internet. Then I am asked to restart my computer. This happens about every third time. Any help would be great. Thanks, Basel

Changing USB connection to ethernet connection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a belkin wireless G router which doesn't work with my ntl broadband it got something to do with changing the USB connetion to ethernet can someone tell me how Please! Thank you

VPN connection [ 2 Answers ]

In my office I have VPN connection, our office branches are in London, Kuwait, South Africa, Switzerland and Germany, sometimes I need to access users Laptop and PCs to fix their problems Can you please help me how can I access users Laptop and Desktop thorough VPN. :confused:

DSL connection [ 1 Answers ]

I have no phone jack near my computer. I can get the phone near my computer to work with a RCA wireless phone jack. My sbc Yahoo! Dsl modem, however, will not work with the wireless jack. It will work if I drag a phone cord across my house & plug it in directly. Does anyone know of a wireless...

View more questions Search