Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amsurfer Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 20, 2006, 12:19 AM
    Where shall I buy online and what brand
    Its very interesting I have been using an automatic Nikon D-200 camera, that I purchased online from Microglobe- retailer of photographic equipment in London UK, result is excellent, but someone advised me to check manual one, and it would return you better result than automatic, I am confused, is it true? I shot nature… yea I love cameras for there is a very famous notion about: The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.( Dorothea Lange )
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2006, 04:09 AM
    Hi, amsurfer,
    Welcome to the site, and thanks for asking a question here.
    I am not a Professional photographer, but at 64 yrs old, have owned many different cameras, including the digital Nikon cool pix 880, the cool pix 4460, and the older type Nikon 35 mm Photomic T. The two digital cameras also have manual setting to use, as well as automatic. The 35 mm was also both auto and manual.
    You can find digital cameras that will use auto settings, as well as being able to use them manually, setting your own f-stops and speeds.
    Manual use can produce many more settings than automatic. You can choose your lighting, your speed, f-stops, and depth of field.
    Normally, manual settings can produce "better" pics than using auto, if you have shot many pictures manually, getting to know what the different settings do; and how they affect the picture.
    Sunsets, nature scenes, can be better manually; if you have practiced some.
    I do wish you the best.
    PS; check your cameras manual, and see if you can switch it to manual!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 20, 2006, 05:03 AM
    I would only move to a Manual mode camera if you truly understand the concepts of f-stop, aperture, depth of field, and film speed since you will have to know those in order to apply the settings to get the results you want. Taking a photography course may be all you need in order to reach that comfort level.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 20, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Why on earth would you want to... that digital SLR is 10 megapixels... shoots fantastic photos has TONS AND TONS of FEATURES and according to reviews is 1 very sweet camera that costs $1200-$1600!!

Do not listen to your friend... you have an excellent SLR according to photography reviews that's not even a yr old...

Be proud of it and tell your friend if they think a manual camera is better then prove it and buy you 1 but in the meantime enjoy that VERRRRRRY VERRRRRRRRY SWEEEEEEET camera... I know I would:)

I'm so jealous...
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 20, 2006, 08:30 AM
    Here's an angle: Look for an older digital SLR. I use the Canon D-30. It's just 3MP but that's fine for me. I rarely print, and 3MP will print 8x10 if needed... certainly crisp 5x7s.

Anyway, I'm in love with it. Does auto setting pics wonderfully yet allows full or partial manual settings. I use a Tamron 18-200 for my walkaround lens.

You can pick up a used D30 body for $150-200 or so then choose your favorite lens.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

May 20, 2006, 11:04 AM
    OK I had to re-read this post a couple of times. I think amsurfer wants to use the MANUAL mode of his existing D-200 and I'm assuming he's not looking to get a new camera that can do manual mode. Of course that has to be it ;) since the D-200 does do manual mode and is a great camera as Tommyp!972 pointed out.

So based on that assumption I still agree with NeedKarma in that if you don't know what manual mode is and you're happy with Auto then just stick with what works. Switching to manual mode without really knowing what you're doing will likely result in bad pictures.

Having said that I would definitely recommend that you PLAY with manual mode to do the things that you want done that Auto won't do for you. If your auto mode takes good, in-focus, correct exposure, etc, etc, then stick with it. If however, you want to control your exposure a bit more, change your depth of field, over-expose, under-expose, change your color temperature, etc then start playing with Manual mode. But you first must learn and I strongly recommend that you hook up with a photography professional that is extremely patient or take a couple of lessons. If you embark on manual without the conceptual knowledge of why some settings work and others don't then you'll be extremely unhappy.

So what exactly are you unhappy about in auto mode? Perhaps we can help guide you in your journey to Manual world at the very least.

Casey
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 20, 2006, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cajalat
    ok I had to re-read this post a couple of times. I think amsurfer wants to use the MANUAL mode of his existing D-200 and I'm assuming he's not looking to get a new camera that can do manual mode. Of course that has to be it ;) since the D-200 does do manual mode and is a great camera as Tommyp!972 pointed out.
    I missed that... amsurfer, check your user manual for some tips on using the manual settings of your camera.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2006, 07:46 AM
    Hi,
    After reading your very good answers so far, I would like to add something.
    I learned Manual Modes, i.e. taking pictures using manual settings, doing the following:
    Take a picture in manual mode, making your own settings. Identify the picture in some way, writing it down on a sheet of paper; then write down the settings you used, i.e. f-stop number, speed used, etc.
    After taking a few pictures, you can then look at the quality of the picture, and your manual settings you used. Adjust the settings if you think the quality could be better, and try again.
    The self-learning approach worked great for me; especially taking night pictures (no flash), sunsets, and many others. Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What brand air conditioner is the best [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering buying a new air conditioner unit for my house. The current one is at least 13 years old and keeps giving me problems. Which brand is the best?

Brand new dell gx520 [ 4 Answers ]

Fresh out of the box(es).. all connections good.. even went inside... Computer has flashing yellow light.. monitor has flashing yellow light.. stuck in power saving mode.. no key, nor switch, nor mouse movement gets it out of power save mode. Is something broken? Thanks

Best Wireless Brand ? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, does anyone have any solid experiences of wireless access points (or routers) with good reliability. I personally have had problems with D-link and therefore will not use these again for a while, but does anyone have good experiences they would like to share? TIA Stu

Brand New Unit not working [ 3 Answers ]

We had Heat and AC unit installed in July. Worked great until mid September. We'd left for one week and when back the AC fan would come on but the unit outside was not on. Thought maybe a fuse and replaced but still not working. Called the installing company and they came out and said it needed...

View more questions Search