Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeffnw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2008, 11:40 PM
    Mount LCD into Cinder block
    Can I mount a LCD (40 inch / 50 lbs) into cinder block hosting a wood burning stove's chimney?

Please help me assess the possible installation of LCD screen on family room wall. It's a ranch house, the wall runs orthogonal to attic joist. It the longest interior wall, I assume it is load bearing as the wall devices one leg of a ranch home configured in an L.

The cinder blocks host a chimney flue for a fireplace. The blocks are behind wall board. No studs are in the wall here, just the cinder blocks. Either side of chimney there is dead space with lots of old wall board (as seen from the attic). In the crawl, the base of the cinder blocks are easily seen.

The chimney (30 years ago) was masonry, 10 years ago it was lined with (insulated) pipe for wood burning stove.

If the TV can be mounted and secured into cinder block, (and I decide to install over the fire place) let's ignore the issues of temperature and smoke,

What sort of screws and anchors does one use? (size type).

Other mounting advice?

thank you
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 24, 2008, 06:17 AM

You LCD can be mounted using a universal metal mounting bracket that connects to the TV in 4 places. I would bolt a piece of 1/2" plywood to the wall using spring loaded toggle bolts to creat an attachment surface. The metal bracket can be attached to the ply with either screws or aditional toggles bolts. The plywood helps to distribute the weight over a larger surface.
    WWPierre Posts: 78, Reputation: 4

Oct 13, 2008, 12:03 AM

LCD's are pretty light. You should be able to use concrete screws. They need to be long enough to penetrate at least 1" into the concrete block. You drill a slightly smaller hole with a carbide masonry bit, and they screw right into the concrete. Use as many as you have holes in your bracket. Well, 6 or 8 should be enough.

A word of caution... You can strip the hole fairly easily, so just snug them up.
    02dodgeman Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Oct 18, 2008, 11:29 AM
    The best advice is to go to Lowe's
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 06:17 PM

Dodgeman, I just read your 4 posts since joining the AMHD site. I see you left no person message or e-mail for us to communicate with you so I'll just use this post. Please start to familarize yourself with how this site operate before you start giving Experts a negative report on their answer as "inaccurate" when you may just have a different opinion or are asking a question. You gave me an inaccurate rating on an electrical question recently and I think that your information is very inaccurate. In your negative rating of me you said that you can touch a hot wire and not get shocked, have you tried this lately? Unless you are bone dry and hanging from that wire you will get shocked since you are always at least partially grounded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cut doorway through cinder block [ 7 Answers ]

What is the proper procedure to cut a doorway through cinder block? The cinder block wall is an interior wall that I want to access through from one room to another? It is not a weight bearing wall.

Difference between concrete block and cinder block [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between concrete block and cinder block when used in a home's foundation? What makes cinder block less desirable?

Is it Cinder Block Mold [ 1 Answers ]

A small room in the basement houses the furnace, electric water heater, water well pump and a crock in the floor with water which is pumped out a couple times daily. This room has been a bit humid as the rest of the basement. Black areas have appeared on the cinder block walls. With a finder wipe...

Covering cinder block [ 7 Answers ]

Our family is relocating and we're looking at buying a house with block foundation, conventional frame, vinyl siding and a Basement. The concern I have (only viewed it on-line) is the walkout basement is exposed cinder block. Is it possible to put vinyl siding on cinder block (home was built in...

View more questions Search