Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slan12 Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Sep 23, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Army or marines?
    I have a question. I'm interested in oining the military, I've talked to recruiters, read about the different branches. But what I didn't find out was if the army gives you morepaid leave then the marines do..
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Sep 23, 2008, 05:37 PM

slan12 -

OK, here's the scoop... no matter what branch of the military you are in, you earn 2.5 days of leave per month... the payscale for each of the armed services is the same as well.

I was a Marine for 6 years so if you have any questions about it I'd be willing to share my experiences with you. It was a great period in my life and I'm grateful I was given the opportunity to earn the title of being a U.S. Marine.

Best wishes to you.

Semper Fi,

Sgt J.S. Beliveau
    USMC
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 06:21 PM

I don't mean to sound wrong but if you want to be a marine that is for more than a job, you don't think of it as time off, pay or anything, it is in fact a way of life.

Sep 26, 2008, 01:32 PM

Yeah I want to join the marines for the brotherhood, pride and honor, that's what I was going to chose but I was just trying to find out something that I could tell my girlfriend to make her feel better about it(she wanted me to join the army)

Sep 27, 2008, 04:41 AM

Slan - I think that when it comes down to major life decisions like choosing where you are going to serve, it's going to be your life being lived in the military for 4 years and to make a decision contrary to your own conscience will make you frustrated.

I can remember guys in the Marines who regretted making the decision to join because it wasn't what they really wanted to do but what they thought people wanted them to do. You sometimes have to do what is in your heart in spite of what others tell you. Your girlfriend is well intentioned, I'm sure; but she cannot dictate your own conscience. You must decide for yourself. And ultimately, if she is a good woman, she won't tell you what you should do. She will support you in whatever decision you make. That's my opinion.

Semper Fi.

Sep 28, 2008, 08:41 PM

I'm joinig the marines, I guess I named this thing pretty poorly. I was just looking for some info so I can make my girlfriend feel better about it but I don't care what she says, I'm joining

Sep 29, 2008, 08:04 PM

I wish you well... basic training is no joke but if you just put your heart into it and do what your drill instructors tell you, you'll be fine. Always give your best effort, even when it's hard. Don't be afraid to ask questions of your DIs and fellow recruits but have confidence too.

Lastly, be humble and work with your fellow recruits because you all are trying to achieve the same goal... don't try to be an individual. You will want to quit at some point... it's only natural. But just remember why you went there and never give up. If you feel weak, talk to your rack mate or your squad leader... don't be afraid to admit your weakness to others because they are feeling what you feel. It's hard for everyone, bro.

Semper Fi.

Sgt JS Beliveau, USMC
    1994-2000

Sep 30, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester View Post
    I wish you well...basic training is no joke but if you just put your heart into it and do what your drill instructors tell you, you'll be fine. Always give your best effort, even when it's hard. Don't be afraid to ask questions of your DIs and fellow recruits but have confidence too.

Lastly, be humble and work with your fellow recruits because you all are trying to achieve the same goal...don't try to be an individual. You will want to quit at some point...it's only natural. But just remember why you went there and never give up. If you feel weak, talk to your rack mate or your squad leader...don't be afraid to admit your weakness to others because they are feeling what you feel. It's hard for everyone, bro.

Semper Fi.

Sgt JS Beliveau, USMC
    1994-2000
    Thanks man
    lovnmydevildog Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Nov 2, 2008, 07:37 PM

My fiancé is in the Marines and while I don't love it (it can be kind of scary at times) I am EXTREMELY PROUD of him for what he does for our country! I can understand your GF maybe being scared but why would she prefer the Army over the Marines??

Nov 3, 2008, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovnmydevildog View Post
    My fiance is in the Marines and while I dont love it (it can be kind of scary at times) I am EXTREMELY PROUD of him for what he does for our country! I can understand your GF maybe being scared but why would she prefer the Army over the Marines???
    This isn't even a problem with her, I broke up with her, she told me that she "wouldnt let me" join the marines unless I married her first, not I'm 17 so I say screw that.

Nov 3, 2008, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slan12 View Post
    this isnt even a problem with her, i broke up with her, she told me that she "wouldnt let me" join the marines unless i married her first, not im 17 so i say screw that.
    Well that doesn't really make any sense!

Nov 5, 2008, 05:43 PM

I broke up with her like a month ago, this post is way older than that.

Nov 5, 2008, 09:22 PM

Oh OK! Well sorry & good luck if you join!
    Starbucks21 Posts: 282, Reputation: 23

Dec 29, 2008, 05:58 PM

Army has more money... gives you a more stable job... and you can pick your job. The army is the most funded of the military branches (according to the books and numbers)

Out of warning out of a class of 60 you can expect about 59 of them to be deployed within a time of 6 month to a year.
    13sldr Posts: 237, Reputation: 17

Dec 29, 2008, 11:50 PM

My mom is in the Air Force and she just got back from Afganistan earlier this month. She had to go because the army didn't have enough men to cover themselves so they had to call in other branches to help them out basically. So she basicialy lived with the army for approx. a year. The army treats their soldiers the worst compired to any other branch. The live in just horrible places, their food is just horrible and most of their men don't even know how to salute properly. Also the army lies to their men, telling them things like they will get a nice big signing bonus (which you dont) as far as more money and more stable jobs. Every branch as just about the same job(granit it does very between the branches) and all branches are stable.

I think that you should join the Marines over the army. I personaly(as a air force brat) fine the Marines much more respectable men the I do with the Army(no offence)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 30, 2008, 12:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 13sldr View Post
    the army treats their soldiers the worst compired to any other branch. the live in just horrible places, their food is just horrible
    Don't know where you get this from. My son is in Iraq right now, he is in the Army. He eats T-Bone steaks, Ribeye's and ribs practically every day. He said he doesn't want to come home if the food stays this good. LOL

Also, his living quarters are much better then they were in boot camp.
    13sldr Posts: 237, Reputation: 17

Dec 30, 2008, 12:16 AM

As I have mentioned my mom was in afganistan with the army and she said their living quarters were horrible if I remember right she said that army's units didn't have A/C(mind you it gets up to 145 during the summer over that)and she said the food was really bad. Didn't taste good at all and even when she was in Fort bragg she said that the living quarters there were really bad the units were in poor poor condition.

Dec 30, 2008, 10:53 PM

Thanks for the advise, everyone, seriously. I mean it.
    You're all a little late though.
    I just enlisted into the marine Corps DEP today, got a 92 on my ASVAB
    A 118 MM
    A 123 GT
    A 124 EL
    A 123 CL

Thanks for the advice
    DaltonBJohnson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2010, 01:44 PM
    Hey Jakester, I want to join the marines, but everyone I've talked to don't like them and just shove a lot of bad opinions on them, but I've done research on them, and that sounds like something I'd really want to do. I want to know from experience, did you truly like marines? And would you recommend them over army when joining the military?
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Nov 17, 2010, 10:35 PM

I too am a Marine and would love to answer any and all questions regarding this matter.

Like many have said before me, choosing your military branch should not be based on money, leave earned, food, living quarters, etc... it is a way of life!

I have been in the Marine Corps. For close to a year now and have a lot of information still fresh in my brain. Feel free to ask any questions and they will be answered with the truth, I am not a recruiter and I will not bul$hit you.

I guess I didn't realize he piggybacked on a 2 year old thread! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

College or Marines [ 38 Answers ]

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance. For the longest time I've wanted to serve my country, after September 11th my will became greater. I am a senior in high school and for the better half of the year I had been fixed on enlisting into the Marines right after I...

Am I too old for the Marines? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone: I always wanted to join the Marines. At 18 I wanted to enlist but I broke my leg and that was it. I am 25 now. Since that time most of my family wanted me to stay out of the military and I did. I had many jobs but I did't like any of them I always wanted something interesting and...

Scared About Marines [ 10 Answers ]

OK. I need some real good advice. Honestly my recruiter I think gives me bull and I've been trying to search someone who has any help for months. Now I'm honestly tired of trying to give people my life story but in a nut shell I was big fat and no muscle over a year ago and through high school...

Would I be able to handle the marines [ 5 Answers ]

I am a small lady I am not sure that my body would be able to take the beating. I would like to go in to the marines after high school. How much of my college fund will they pay? After that I would like to start a career in underwater welding but that is another topic.

How many army and marines are in Iraq and Afghanistan? [ 2 Answers ]

How many army troops and Marines are in Iraq and Afghanistan?

View more questions Search