Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    downrange Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2008, 11:05 AM
    95 ranger fuel gauge don't work
    Any one have any ideas what might be wrong and how to fix it?
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 23, 2008, 11:20 AM

More than likely the wires to the fuel gauge (which is in the tank) have rotted faulty (common with this truck).

I was going to type a whole thing out, but I just found this: WikiAnswers - My 1995 ford ranger fuel gauge isn't working how do i trace the problem

:) good luck
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2008, 02:54 PM

I had a broken fuel gague in one of my cars for years. Every so many miles I would stop and fill up the tank. If this is an expensive fix for you, would suggest that you just write down your mileage when you fill all the way up and then go only 150 miles tops between filling it all the way up again. Don't cheat and just add a few gallons here and there otherwise you will run out of gas. If I could do it for abou 4 years without getting it fixed, so can you (if you are on a tight budget).
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 25, 2008, 07:49 AM

U used to have a thick piece of wire with masking tape on the end. I would feed it down the gas tube... then pull it back up. If I had gas on it.. I knew I was OK for a while still. Lol

It might not cost anything but time... if you have to replace the sender. Could be pricey
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2008, 08:52 AM

I had to replace my fuel pump and it was located inside the gas tank. Had to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump. The new one I got and installed has a wacky sending device in it. I'll keep reading a full tank of gas even after I have gone over 100 miles, then the needle drops sharply to read under 3/4 tank. I just watch my mileage driven and gauge accordingly. As you can see, I've had little and no luck with fuel gauges in my cars and I don't trust them one iota.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fuel gauge incorrect on newer Buick. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 05 Buick Tarrasa. When I fill it up at the pump, taking 20 gallons in a 21 gallon tank, the gauge only goes to half, or 2/3 full. Sometimes I shut it off and the gauge will go to the full mark. The last tank I put in 17 ½ gallons of gas, and got only 270 miles. Some freeway driving and...

ZC engine don't stays ECU cuts fuel New Dizzy on my CRX 89 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a big problem, im desperate to get my CRX runnin. I got the car on the third day it started having problems like: it turn on but after like a minute or so it would die, i took it to the shop they check it and there was no spark well very little not enough so they tell me the dizzy was...

12 gauge Wire Used w/ 14 gauge Outlet [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a fairly new home I purchased. I am changing my outlets as I am painting the rooms (Laundry Room) and noticed that the previous home owner put in a laundry board (built in) and wired to the nearest outlet on the wall. They used 12 gauge wire to the outlet (from the built in iron...

Failed gass gauge and temperature gauge on 1988 Nissan Pathfinder [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1988 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4. The gas gauge and the temperature gauge would stop working at the same time when the car warmed up. They both would come back on periodically and then off again. Currently they have not come back on in about 3 months. How do I fix this problem?

Fuel gauge on 96 chevy Z71 doesn't work [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a 96 Chevy Z71 truck. The fuel gauge wasn't working so I had a new fuel pump and sending unit put in but it still doesn't work. If it is the gauge, can it be fixed without sending the whole cluster in for repair? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

View more questions Search