Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 19, 2006, 11:06 AM
    Electric to outshide shed
    I've got 200 Amp service in house.. what wiring am I going to need to get power out to shed to run a few outlets(3).. a few interior lights and decorative exteriors,landscaping lights and air compressor.. question on that compressor also.. Craftman Pro can run on either 110 or 220.. whats the advantage of running on 220?thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 19, 2006, 11:37 AM
    Anything you can run on 240 volts will draw half the amps than if it runs on 120 volts. I need to know the load in amps or watts of every device to determine the size feeder out to the shed.
    JulesBartow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 04:05 PM
    I tried running my Craftsman air compressor at 110V with an extension cord. The voltage drop was so high the motor wouldn't run. I put in a 220V outlet in the garage, set the wiring in the motor for 220V, put on a new 220V plug, and have had no problems since.

I've moved a few times. First thing I do is install a 220V outlet in the garage so I can run the compressor for my nail guns and the shaper.

220V feels worse than 110V, but not as bad as a 50KV spark plug wire. Be careful.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Ever feel a neon light transformer? OW
    Like TK says, double the voltage, and you half the current.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Building a shed wall with 2x4's [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 16x12 shed I'm building.. can't fit 12 or 16 footers in my car and no trailer... can I use 2x4x8's and cut them or am I running the risk of a weak wall?

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

Wiring a shed [ 2 Answers ]

I just finished building a storage shed and want some electricity out there... what type of wiring and cost would it be to run 30-40 feet or wire?what other materials am I going to need? Thanks for any suggestions... later

Shed/Barn wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a decent sized shed out about 150ft from the house, I plan on running the cable underground in conduit. But I am unsure of what style/size cable I need to use for a 50A circuit 220/240V. I'm assuming that I probably need to use service entrance cable and can't use 6G stranded. I've tried...

Mother cat had kittens in a shed! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi.  I need some advice on what to do.  A strange cat started coming to our house, and we started feeding it.  Now it thinks this is it's home.  It kept coming back, and after a while we realized it was preagnant.  It started getting really fat, and then this morning when I saw it it was really...

View more questions Search