Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skavy10 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 06:46 PM
    Garage Door Won't Operate
    A couple days ago my garage door went up and then wouldn't go down. Neither the clicker nor the button on the wall will make it operate. It has motion sensors. The unit is getting power because its lights are on. When I examined it, the Learn light is flashing. I followed the instructions to reset the buttons and to program it and it wouldn't operate.

There was a lot of rain that day but the unit is dry. The spring works. When you click the opener or wall button, you hear a clicking noise and the light flashes, but that's it. There is also a "Lock" button on the wall pad. The unit is a 1/2 Loadmaster unit.

Any thoughts? Fix it or is it dead?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 08:07 PM

Insure that it is not "Locked", insure that nothing is obstructing safety light beam across the door (which I assume is what you mean by motion sensor). Also make sure that receiver half of safety light sees light beam.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 03:20 PM
    Reread your manual regarding exiting the learn mode. Do you have a built in button in your car, does it work? I did one of these installs last week and some parts were like working with a old time computer, very stubburn.

Sep 23, 2008, 03:57 PM
    We have tried to things suggested including unplugging system for 20 seconds, etc. We noticed that on the sensors, one is green and one is yellow. Could this be the culprit? How do we correct?

It's a Chamberlain Liftmaster 1/2 HP. Their home page says the manual is not ordered.

Sep 23, 2008, 04:23 PM
    One green, one yellow just means one sends and the other receives, that's normal for Chamberlain openers. What does this mean, "Their home page says the manual is not ordered." Do you have two buttons one purle and the other black or just the one button?

Sep 23, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Sorry, meant to say it says that the model is not found. So I can't find the exact model instruction manual. Its only from 2004, so I can't imagine why its not there.

When I click the opener (its not attached directly to my car) or the wall button, the light comes on and I hear a clicking sound, but no motor movement...

Sep 23, 2008, 05:11 PM
    You may have a bad board in the "computer", I'd call Chamberlains help desk and ask them to walk you through some troublshooting.

Sep 24, 2008, 12:51 PM

According to the User Manual (that I found online) I have to replace the logic board. Is this a difficult thing to do?

Sep 25, 2008, 03:28 PM

Well no, not if you have ever installed an external hard drive on a computer or installed a fax/printer/copier on a computer. That board will be fairly pricey considering an entirely new Chamberlain can be as low as $150. 4-5 years seems too short of a life but I would not spend even $50 to fix this unit and you may be wrong and just installed an unneeded part.

Sep 26, 2008, 03:18 AM

So you say replace rather than repair? Thanks for your help on this...

Sep 27, 2008, 07:53 AM

Yep, repair of a computer board is beyond nearly everyone. I have to replace a mother board in a thread mill, it took about 30 minutes and 1 small phillips screw driver.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to replace a service door with a garage door [ 3 Answers ]

My garage runs into my basement. I only have one single car garage door. My basement wall is a block wall. My floor joist run parallel to the wall with my garage door. What I want to do is install a second single car garage door next to my existing garage door where a service door is located. ...

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Garage door opener making loud noise and door won't go up [ 1 Answers ]

When I pushed the button to open my mom's garage door, the door went up about an inch and made a loud banging noise like a machine gun. We got the door to open by pushing on the button and pushing up on the door. The noise is coming from the part in the middle of the garage door that goes down...

How do I sync the keyless pad garage door opener to the main garage door opener? [ 3 Answers ]

I mistakenly gave someone my garage door opener that didn't return it. I had a male friend come over and "change the code" including my car opener and gave me a universial which he also programmed. I came to realize my code for my keyless pad outside doesn't work (since he changed the code... )....

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

View more questions Search