Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krn5155 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Charging lien vs child support lien
    In 1997 when I divorced I was given the marital house to live in until our child turned 18. My ex's attorneys put a charging lien for fees on my (ex's interest) of the marital home. When our child turns 18 I was to sell the house and my ex had to pay me all that he owes me and we were to split any equity.

Because my ex owes me so much money for child support and attorneys fees the Judge gave me the house having my ex quit claim deed over his interest. The attorneys that have the charging lien say they are still entitled to the lien amount even though my ex no longer has any equity interest. I want to re fiancé the house but I do not want to be financially obligated to to an attorney fee that is not my responsibility.

We are to go to Court soon to determine if the attorney charging lien is still valid when my ex no longer has any equity in the marital home. Shouldn't the child support that I am owed supersede any charging liens?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 05:35 PM

What state is this taking place in ? Also has the lawyer been paid by you ? That will make a difference.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by krn5155 View Post
    In 1997 when I divorced I was given the marital house to live in until our child turned 18. My ex's attorneys put a charging lien for fees on my (ex's interest) of the marital home. When our child turns 18 I was to sell the house and my ex had to pay me all that he owes me and we were to split any equity.

Because my ex owes me so much money for child support and attorneys fees the Judge gave me the house having my ex quit claim deed over his interest. The attorneys that have the charging lien say they are still entitled to the lien amount even though my ex no longer has any equity interest. I want to re fiance the house but I do not want to be financially obligated to to an attorney fee that is not my responsibility.

We are to go to Court soon to determine if the attorney charging lien is still valid when my ex no longer has any equity in the marital home. Shouldn't the child support that I am owed supersede any charging liens?

The way I see this is that there was a lien against the property, the lien gets paid first, you took interest in the house with the lien still attached.

I'm surprised the Judge/your Attorney didn't take that into consideration -
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 06:31 AM

A quitclaim deed does not clear any liens the buyer will be liable for any liens on the home at transfer. This is a issue that the court will decide, I would strongly advise having an attorney with you in court on this, since you are going up against their attorneys

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support Lien - Texas [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a lien on my ex husband's credit for a small portion of the child support. This lien was filed by my then attorney. Since that time our son has turned 18 and I wish to renew the lien for the full amount. Per the certified notice from the Child Support Office, the amount is now...

Release of Child Support Lien [ 2 Answers ]

I received a release of lien in June 2005. However, it was never recorded in the county courthouse. State of Colorado has now levied my bank account. They say they have a valid lien, but refuse to explain the release that I have. Frankly, they are very indignant and will not attempt to explain...

Child Support Lien Docket [ 1 Answers ]

The county that I live put a lien on my son's birth father for real and titled personal property for back child support owed to me. BF and his wife are now in the process of getting a divorce. They own a town house together, but I do know that the wife put the down payment on it and has been paying...

Child Support Lien [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about filing a Child Support Lien in Texas? The amount owed in arreage is over $10,000. Thank you.

Lien - back child support [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My daughters father has a fairly large sum in back child support and is most likely going to lose his house to foreclosure. He had some cement work done, claims he paid for it, but the guy who did the work is suing him and has put a lien on the house. Would it be in my best interest to also...

View more questions Search