Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schmara Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2006, 07:52 PM
    Bleeding Again 6 weeks after delivery
    I had a baby six weeks ago. My normal post-pregnancy bleeding stopped about a week and a half ago, but today I noticed that I am bleeding again. It's light - but heavier than spotting. And bright red, so it's not like it's left over from having the baby or anything. Is this something I should be concerned about? Should I call my doctor? Have I just started ovulating again really early? I am breastfeeding exclusively, and with my first I didn't start having periods again for about 6 months. I was supposed to start the "minipill" tonight, but I'm not sure I should with this unexplained bleeding. Any insight out there?

schmara
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 18, 2006, 08:59 PM
    I'm a liitle surprised you are bleeding so soon... but what is normal here anyway? So many women have so many different experiences.

I think you should talk to your doctor just to be sure.

My wife had a somewhat difficult delivery with the first child, and then didn't rest appropriately after (this was before we were married, she was a single working mother). Not to scare you, but she then had a major hemorrhage and needed transfusions. Pretty scarey stuff. But... she had some complications after the birth that predispositioned her to the problem... things that the docs saw in hindsight. Also the lack of rest didn't let her heal.

Maybe things are just different this time around. Still I think a talk with your doc is warranted.
    nicks_girl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2006, 09:53 PM
    I agree that you should maybe go check up with a doctor just to make sure that there is nothing wrong.. But I started breastfeeding all 3 of my kids and with my second daughter I bled for a long time off and on... And I will tell you that if you have started having sex again that it will cause you to start again... If that is the case then every time you stop and do things you will more than likely start again.. That is what my problem was.. But like I said I would deffinatly see a doctor just in case...
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

May 28, 2006, 08:59 PM
    Any time you have bright red or unexplained bleeding you should see your DR. especially after giving birth, Did you go in for your 6 week postpartum check?
    If bright red spotting reappears after your lochia has already lightened, it's a sign that you need to slow down. If you continue to spot after resting in bed for a day call your midwife or doctor. You should also call if your lochia is still bright red four days after your baby's birth,
    Your lochia has a foul odor or you come down with fever or chills or
    You have abnormally heavy bleeding (saturating a sanitary pad in an hour or blood clots bigger than a golf ball). This is a sign of a late postpartum hemorrhage and requires immediate attention.

May 30, 2006, 11:08 AM
    Thanks for all of your answers. The bleeding has been light on and off, but I did call my doctor's office. They said it could be because of the minipill or because I've become more active. Basically all I can do about it is slow down (not that easy with a two year old and a newborn, but I'm doing my best). They said that as long as I'm not passing clots or other tissue it's not a problem. I hope they're right.

schmara
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 30, 2006, 11:22 AM
    Everything you have received so far sounds fantastic. Especially from Stormy69. My only question is: Is it okay to take anything, including the minipill, while breastfeeding? I abstained from everything, including certain foods, (like onion and garlic, which I could smell on the baby's breath, and gave them colic) while breastfeeding because of it passing through the milk.

May 31, 2006, 08:58 AM
    Yes, it is OK to take the minipill while breastfeeding - in fact, that's why I'm taking it and not a regular one. Also, you can pretty much eat anything while breastfeeding - anything you ate while pregnant you're baby has already been exposed to. Some babies have problems with some foods, but that just depends on the baby. There isn't a food that every nursing mother has to give up - it just depends.
    ChRiiSTiiE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2009, 11:51 PM
    I had a baby just 6 weeks ago and have severe bleeding, my cramps are leaving me in agony and I had to stop breast feeding after 11 days due to bubby being lactose intolerant.

I'm not sure if that's normal either. My mother has told me to get to the doctors as it could be something more serious
    kareni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2009, 08:51 AM
    I had twins 6 weeks ago, had 'normal" blleding after the birth, stopped bleeding for about a week, then has a large gush of blood - unexpectidly, went to my GP for advice, and had to go for an U/S, they discovered part of the placenta had been left in, I have continued to bleed for 4 - 5 weeks, and my gynaecologist has told me I need to come in to hospital to have a D+C, as the bleeding should have stopped by now, if I didn't go in for the D+C, he said I would hemmorage, and could be very dangerous.
    marcal17 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2009, 10:40 AM

Breastfeeding on demand normally delays the return of menstruation but it certainly isn't uncommon, even in women breastfeeding 12 or more times a day, to experience the return of their period at around 6 weeks post partum. It is nuisance, but not uncommon!

Progestin-only contraceptives (such as the Mini-Pill) are the preferred choice for breastfeeding mothers as they are very unlikely to affect your milk supply and baby. In order to make your contraceptive more effective, keep breastfeeding on demand and exclusively for the first 6 months. Your baby needs nothing but breastmilk for this period.
    brandi384 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2010, 11:24 AM
    I also started bleeding again 3.5 weeks after birth. I have been pretty active but lately thought I had calmed down. I read something about the sixth week bleed where 25 % of nursing mothers bleed after lochia but only 10% had started there period, but these women had a higher chance of starting periods early. Im ready to have another baby whenever anyway, haven't had intercourse though, healing completely seems to take forever!!
    Brittany2589 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2010, 07:22 AM
    I am 9 weeks postpartum, and I stopped the locia bleeding right before 6 weeks. I am exclusively breastfeeding and I just started bleeding again. I am assuming that this is my period returning :( Just didn't expect to get it already. I have already been to my 6 week checkup--everything was good. I am just wondering if it would be okay to use tampons now... I can't stand pads...
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2010, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany2589 View Post
    I am 9 weeks postpartum, and I stopped the locia bleeding right before 6 weeks. I am exclusively breastfeeding and I just started bleeding again. I am assuming that this is my period returning :( Just didn't expect to get it already. I have already been to my 6 week checkup--everything was good. I am just wondering if it would be okay to use tampons now...I can't stand pads...
    Yes, if your doctor said all was well after your six week checkup you can use tampons again. Best to change regularly, avoiding prolonged placement depending on the flow you experience.

It may be an intermittent bleed and not an actual period just yet or you could be one of the few who have cycles return even with exclusive breastfeeding. See how it goes... might continue on a regular basis or you may get lucky and find it stops again until a later time.
    hawk852 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2011, 07:27 AM
    Hi schmara,

How are you feeling now. Have you recovered from the post natal bleeding issue. My wife is facing a same situation as yours. She gave birth to our 2nd daughter via a C-Section 5 months back. She is continuously bleeding since then. Bleeding stops while takes pills for 21 days but starts again when pills are consumed. She is worried and I am searching for a solution. Can you help?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 24, 2011, 07:29 AM
    Hi schmara,

How are you feeling now. Have you recovered from the post natal bleeding issue. My wife is facing a same situation as yours. She gave birth to our 2nd daughter via a C-Section 5 months back. She is continuously bleeding since then. Bleeding stops while takes pills for 21 days but starts again when pills are consumed. She is worried and I am searching for a solution. Can you help?

Thanks in advance.
    swapnavarma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2012, 07:19 AM
    I'm having heavy bleeding afrer the delivery of 5 monthsa and a seviour abdominal pain please I need an answer thank u bye

Jan 7, 2012, 07:34 AM
    swapnavarma, no need to worry at all. All you have to do is keep an eye on your blood level. If you feel fainted, take juices preferablly ones with vitamin C. My wife had the same issue about two months back and now she is perfectly all right.
    swapnavarma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2012, 02:05 AM
    Hi
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2012, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by swapnavarma View Post
    im having heavy bleeding afrer the delivery of 5 monthsa and a seviour abdominal pain please i need an answer thank u bye
    How severe? How often are you changing pads and/or tampons? Any fever? Had your periods already returned to normal since the birth?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

11 weeks pregnant fetus only 6 weeks? [ 8 Answers ]

I thought I was 11 weeks pregnant, had some very light spotting and Dr. did ultrasound and said fetus was only 6 weeks?? I am almost positive there was no possibility of conception on the new date so they believe the fetus stopped growing at 6 weeks and I had a missed miscarriage. I am waiting...

Drug delivery system [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to ask about drug delivery system. I would like to know when the drug travels in the blood stream, How much of drug will lose because of enzym in blood stream. It is good to protect drug from blood environment.

Drug delivery system [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to ask more about drug delivery system. Actually, I am PhD student in Japan and do research about carbon nanotube and their application in drug delivery system. Now I try to put drug and magnetic material inside carbon nanotube. I will inject them into blood stream. I expect...

10 weeks after delivery [ 1 Answers ]

10 weeks after delivery- bleeding heavily - but still within guidelines given to me by my ob - no ememrgency. I have bled lightly once a week or so since delivery. Had an ultrasound that revealed a little bit of lining of my uterus still left. OB said it wasn't a problem. Am I just having my...

Periods after delivery [ 4 Answers ]

On Dec 5th I had my son at just 23 weeks. There were some issues after in which I had to have a D and C done. 4 weeks after I had my first period. It was extremely light and lasted 2 weeks! I started my second period 3 days ago and now it is extremely heavy! Is this normal?

View more questions Search