Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marriam Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 11:35 AM
    Cost Accounting
    I'm an unable to understand the difference between Step Fixed Cost and Semi Variable Cost?
    I was of the opinion that step cost relates with the capacity where as semi variable with the production level, but now I feel there is anyb other difference, is it?
    whether semi variable will always have a fixed portion?
    AdamUTsel Posts: 100, Reputation: 2

Sep 23, 2008, 02:26 PM

There is a notable difference. See below:

Semi-variable costs are fixed below a certain level of volume, known as the breakpoint, and they are variable above that level. As explained, these costs act differently over a range of volume. Therefore, their volume variance behaves similarly: volume variance is zero in the fixed cost range, and volume variance is the same as for a variable cost over the variable cost range.

Step-fixed costs are fixed up to a certain level of volume, and then they increase to an even higher level of fixed cost to a certain level of volume. This process is repeated over and over with fixed costs increasing to higher levels. When dealing with step-fixed costs it is important to recognize at what points costs increase and to what levels they increase. Once this is accomplished, the volume variance is what the cost is suppose to be at budgeted volume minus what the cost is supposed to be at actual volume.
    sweetmemory0804 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Can give the example of step fixed cost?
    Bside rental fees...
    Thanks a lot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between Managerial Accounting and Cost Accounting ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Dears, I want to know about the difference between Managerial Accounting and Cost Accounting. Thanks ! Sincerely Yours, Mohammad Naim

Cost Accounting [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys.. I'm mhon from the Philippines I would like to ask what is the formula in computing TOTAL MANUFACTURING COST? Thanks!

View more questions Search