Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2008, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriarch View Post
    I agree they are one in being in harmony and agreement, having the same purpose in mind. They are in separate forms because one is the Father of the other and the other is the son of the Father. It really is simple logic, we see this all around us in humans. We are like God being made in his image. Just as a man can procreate a son from himself so has God. God did not make the universe for him to enter into it, for there is no reason for him to.

Colossians 1:13 "his dear Son" Jesus is God's Son not God himself
    Colossians 1:15 "image of...God" Jesus is in God's image not the actual God
    John 3:16 "God...gave his...Son" God gave his Son not himself
    John 10:33 "maketh thyself God" The Jews mistakenly thought Jesus
    claimed to be God
    John 10:36 "I am the Son of God" Jesus did not nor has he ever claimed to
    be God
    John 1:18 "no man has seen God" No person has ever seen God but
    they have seen Jesus

Patriarch,

No one has seen God as God! The problem is, you don't understand the scripture. The first book of the Gospel of John... read it. It says that in the beginning was the Word (capital W) and the Word was with God and the Word WAS GOD... then drop down a bit and you will see that the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us. Jesus is God and until you understand this... you misunderstand scripture.

I would also like to point out that when the Pharasee's spoke to the Lord Jesus and they were trying to trip him up while talking about Abraham... the Lord Jesus said to them... Before Abraham was... I AM. Now... hmmm? Where else have we heard I AM. Oh yeah! Moses was told (by GOD)to go tell Phararoh that I AM had sent him... funny thing about all this is... the jewish pharisees had NO PROBLEM understanding what Jesus had just said. They picked up stones to stone him for saying such a thing. Jesus is GOD. Then add to that... when Jesus said.. if you have seen me you have seen the Father, and I and my Father are one. Jesus is GOD... how many ways can he say it?

In the eyes of the Lord, a married couple is considered one. NOT THE SAME THING in anyway as comparing that to GOD the Father, the son, and the holy spirit. People get divorced all the time and they are "one" again with someone else. Sorry Pat...

Jesus made the WORLD.. he was there in the beginning.. he is the alpha and the Omega. You should consider these things before you continue to stay in your false doctrine. That is my advise.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2008, 05:54 AM

It is difficult for the flesh body born of this earth to recognize the spiritual realm of life as truely being a second reality to what we see and live.
    To understand we need to open our minds to that reality. .

I can picture God's right hand reaching out to us through the spiritual realm into the realm of life we know on earth. This right hand of God would be Jesus, flesh of this earth! Emmanuel

Matthew 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

As for the question, who do we pray to? Follow Christ, by praying to the Father as Christ did. Christ told us how to pray.. However when we call upon Jesus by asking in His name for whatever we hold in our heart. We are asking for God to offer what we need, just as a child would ask of help. All glory shown to God for all.
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

Sep 28, 2008, 08:10 AM

This is a great question and one I think all should understand so as not to pray amiss.

The trinity does play in this, but having complete understanding of the trinity is not necessary to understand how all three play a part in our prayers.

~Jesus our mediator
    When Jesus died on the cross the veil in the church was rent from top to bottom. This was also symbolic. Meaning a priest is no longer our mediator to God. Jesus became our mediator to God.
    1 Timothy 2:5 "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

~The Holy Spirit
    In a conversation between Jesus and his disciples before Jesus was crucified, his disciples were understandably worried and did not want Jesus to die. Not only for the obvious, but because they would miss Jesus dearly. They would miss walking with Him, talking to Him and learning from Him. Jesus then told them not to worry about that because God would send them (and those of us who are saved) the Comforter. The Comforter is the Holy Spirit.
    John 14:16 "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever."
    In this next verse Jesus explains who will receive the Comforter and we learn the Comforter is the Holy Spirit.
    John 14:17 "Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you."
    Here Jesus is telling his disciples that God will send His Holy Spirit to those who believe in Him so that God will, not only be with them forever, but dwell in them forever.
    Therefore, upon salvation God sends you the Holy Spirit, not BEFORE, but upon your askance of Him saving your soul.

The Holy Spirit not only dwells in you to lead you and guide you in your Christian walk, but the Holy Spirit is who prays for you.
    Romans 8:26 & 27 "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with great groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God."

The Holy Spirit searches your heart and He is the one who prays for you. For example: God is not going to even hear the prayer of someone asking for a million dollars. Why? Because the Holy Spirit intercesses your prayers. The Holy Spirit is not going to take something like that to the Father. The Holy Spirit searches our hearts and prays for us. This does not mean we shouldn't use words when we pray, or that we should just sit there because we are not doing the work. The point is that the Holy Spirit is not going to take the things you ask for amiss to the Father.

On the same note there has been plenty of times when I have literally knelt and not said a word. I have just cried. I know that God knows my heart and He knows what I came to Him for. I didn't have to say anything and I knew the Spirit did what He does and read my heart and took it to God who chooses to answer.

Now let me put this all together and give you a definitive answer to your question. It matters not whether you address God or Jesus because it is the Holy Spirit who does the work. The Holy Spirit knows who to take your prayers to and what of your prayers to take. All three, the Holy Spirit, Jesus and God are going to know your prayers because the Holy Spirit takes your prayers and Jesus is our mediater to God, and of course God listens and chooses to answer or not. Therefore the exact name you address is of no import. Just so long as you understand and KNOW that God is the one who is receiving your prayers and answering them.

I hope this helps!

Sep 28, 2008, 08:21 AM
    And just to add a couple extra things...

There are some people out there who believe in God but are not saved who actually thinks God hears their prayers. For example they believe in God, but have not yet turned their lives over to Him and they will pray to God when they are having a hard time. The ONLY sinners prayer that God hears is the one that is asking for salvation. Why? Because the Holy Spirit prays for us. If you are not saved you do not have the Holy Spirit in you. Therefore, your prayers are not heard.

Another thing... and I might get some flack for this from some Catholics, but I don't care because it is the truth...
    As I said before the Holy Spirit is our intercessor to God. Therefore, the Holy Spirit takes our prayers to God. So when someone prays to Mary or any other saint in heaven it does not go to that saint. The Holy Spirit takes our prayers to the one who deals with them and that is God. Mary does not take our prayers to God and nor does any other saint. The Holy Spirit does and the Holy Spirit goes straight to the ONE He is supposed to.

The Holy Spirit is no less important than Jesus and God. He is an equal in the Trinity that is why He is part of the Trinity.
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonlitWaves View Post
    The Holy Spirit not only dwells in you to lead you and guide you in your Christian walk, but the Holy Spirit is who prays for you.
    Romans 8:26 & 27 "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with great groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God."
    An example of help and making intercess for us. Is that understanding of our needs as Christ noted in Luke 10:40-41 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? Bid her therefore that she help me.And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

You make you choices in life by the those intercessions which the Holy Spirits leads within you.

The Holy Spirit searches your heart and He is the one who prays for you. For example: God is not going to even hear the prayer of someone asking for a million dollars. Why? Because the Holy Spirit intercesses your prayers. The Holy Spirit is not going to take something like that to the Father. The Holy Spirit searches our hearts and prays for us. This does not mean we shouldn't use words when we pray, or that we should just sit there because we are not doing the work. The point is that the Holy Spirit is not going to take the things you ask for amiss to the Father.
    The Holy Spirit will help and comfort us to bring intercess of Our Father's Will when we listen and hear. It is very important that we pray, pray for our enemies (Matthew 5:44)that they might find their way, pray to give thanks (2 Cr 1:11) and praise, and God asks us to remind Him of His promises (Isa 43:26)

Hebrew 7:22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.

Hebrew 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by Him, seeing He ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Christ brought us intercession John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Romans 8:34 Who is he that condemneth? [It is] Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

The Three in One
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2008, 10:04 AM

The Holy Spirit is no less important than Jesus and God. He is an equal in the Trinity that is why He is part of the Trinity.
    Note the Very Presents of the Holy Spirit is Christ Jesus

Matthew 1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for He shall save His people from their sins.

John 10:30 I and my Father are one.

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Sep 28, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sndbay View Post
    Note the Very Presents of the Holy Spirit is Christ Jesus

Matthew 1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for He shall save His people from their sins.

John 10:30 I and my Father are one.

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Absolutely! I couldn't agree more. My point was not to explain the Trinity though as we have done that many times over in past posts, but rather was to help the original poster understand how all 3 work as one as far as prayer goes. And to help the original poster understand how the Holy Spirit plays a huge part, not only in our Christian walk, but in our prayers which was the question. The poster made mention of the Trinity yet never mentioned the Holy Ghost who is very much God and very much a part of our prayers.
    Patriarch Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Sep 28, 2008, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are three distinct Persons in one Godhead.

Think of an apple -- Fruit cannot be compared to God only man can since man is in God's image, not plants or animals.

Think of me. I am a daughter, a mother, and a wife. All are under one "umbrella," Wondergirl, but each one acts differently because of the role that is played. I act differently as a daughter from how I act as a mother and those two are different from how I act as a wife.
    While that is true you are not three separate individuals. You are never at more than one place at a time, and yet while Jesus was on earth his Father, God, was in Heaven.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 08:22 PM
    while Jesus was on earth his Father, God, was in Heaven.
    He was? And where is that??

(Good grief! )

Sep 28, 2008, 08:25 PM
    [QUOTE=Wondergirl;1293171]God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are three distinct Persons in one Godhead.

The term nor the suggestion of the term"godhead" is in the Bible. This is a traditional teaching of men who claim to represent the cloth. I have never read anything that says that God is a Son. But the Bible does reveal that God has a Son. In fact he has many sons.
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Sep 28, 2008, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl[QUOTE
    He was? And where is that??
    You mean you don't know where heaven is?? :confused:

Sep 28, 2008, 08:34 PM
    [QUOTE=Wondergirl;1297229]He was? And where is that??

Matthew 3:16, 17 God spoke from the heavens while Jesus was on earth after his baptism
    By the way God has no need to be baptized, but his Son did because
    He had to learn obedience
    Hebrews 5:6, again, God does not need to learn to obey himself.

Sep 28, 2008, 08:36 PM
    No, the Trinity is not explained by logic. We can try to use common ideas to explain how all three Persons of the Trinity are God, but it is not logical or even humanly understandable.
    No it is dogma that has brainwashed the masses in order to distort the true identity and roles of God and Christ.

Sep 28, 2008, 08:43 PM
    Yes, he has. John 10:30 -- "I and the Father are One."

One in this case indicates unity, being one does not being literally the same person.
    For Christ also prayed that his disciples "all may be one", you do not assume they would be many persons in one abnormal head do you. Jesus wanted them to be unified and harmonious just as he and his Father are--John 17:21

Sep 28, 2008, 08:49 PM
    Yes. Check the OT stories. Moses' hair turned white because of it.
    This is a misunderstanding because Ex 33:20 say "shall no man see me and live" and John 1:18 says no man has seen God, thus Moses did not actually see God but merely an angelic representative of God. Otherwise you would mean that what God said and what St. John wrote was a lie.

Sep 28, 2008, 09:00 PM
    Again, pray only to the Father of Jesus, God, and not to Jesus. Jesus never told anyone to pray to himself. Listen to Jesus and not men on earth. Jesus says pray to his Heavenly Father God.----Matthew 6:9, John 20:17 Jesus also prayed to God--John 11:41
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Sep 28, 2008, 09:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriarch
    [QUOTE
    Hebrews 5:6, again, God does not need to learn to obey himself
    Try Hebrews 5:8 ;) Good points too BTW.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 09:01 PM
    Matthew 3:16, 17 God spoke from the heavens while Jesus was on earth after his baptism
    By the way God has no need to be baptized, but his Son did because
    he had to learn obedience
    Hebrews 5:6, again, God does not need to learn to obey himself.
    God the Father and God the Son are one with God the Holy Spirit. It is a mystery and no one can explain it. Your little attempts at logic do not explain it either.

Sep 28, 2008, 09:04 PM
    [QUOTE=Moparbyfar;1297273][QUOTE=Patriarch

Try Hebrews 5:8 ;) Good points too BTW.[/QUOTE]

I thank you for the correction.

Sep 28, 2008, 09:08 PM
    It is a mystery and no one can explain it. Your little attempts at logic do not explain it either.[/QUOTE]

It is a mystery only because it is not of divine origin but is of pagan origin, from ancient Egypt, Babylon and Greece. Mixing pagan beliefs with what the Bible reveals will confuse anyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pray [ 8 Answers ]

This is a message for all christian beleivers. If you are an atheist and you are going to make fun of me, click 'back'. I have a prayer request for all of you my brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ, can you pray for my mum and dad, they have me pretty worried. My dad left the house about a week...

Hypothetical: Pray or kill? [ 19 Answers ]

A person is pinned under a truck which is on fire and slowly roasting him to death. You are the only one there and he begs you put him out of his misery. The place is isolated and no help will arrive. What would you do? Pray for him as he slowly dies in excruciating pain? Or put him out of his...

Can you pray without talking? [ 3 Answers ]

Almost every time I pray I do it silently, like think what I want to tell god or ask god. Does that matter, do you have to pray out loud for him to here you or does he know what your thinking? Thanks

Please pray for the stray [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, Sunday morning, I rescued a kitten approximately 7 weeks old from the jaws of a dog running loose in the neighborhood. She was rushed to the emergency weekend and after hour veterinarian hospital. It was touch and go at first; however, she was stable enough to come home this...

Pray for the Saskatchewan miners! [ 1 Answers ]

I'm actually on my honeymoon in Vancouver Island right now, but I just heard on the news that there are 70 miners trapped in a mine in Saskatchewan, my home province. There is a fire in the mine which is still burning, and they can't yet get the miners rescued. On the news it says that so far the...

View more questions Search